Never again. Nie wieder. Plus jamais.

Never again. Nie wieder. Plus jamais.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

A old man wanted to thank a American Soldier.

"









Never again. Nie wieder. Plus jamais.






















(The old man spoke with tears.
Told me it must never happen again.
He  told me he watched his brothers and parent walk into death arms.
He could not do anything.)



I was sitting alone at the train station in Stuttgart in 1978.
 A old man sat at my table and offered his hand.


I took it and asked what does he want?


He told me. "On this day 33 years ago.
A American soldier broke down  the wall of  the concentration camp.
Picked him off the floor and held him. "


The soldier hand fed him because he was too weak to feed himself. 
The soldier took care of him for three months. 
He was very weak and never asked the soldier name.


He wanted to thank a American.
By  buying a American  Soldier a  meal today.


He showed me his mark.
A tattoo he held proudly.


Forced numbers put on  men and woman showing they were  Jews.


I told him. "Please sit with me.
I would be honor to eat with him."


I listen to stories of good times and bad.
Tears came to his old eyes when he told me.
How they separate him from his family at the train station.
He never saw them again.


His family made the mistake of hoping for common sense and sanity.


Most of his family went to Auschwitz.
He never saw them again.


He was lucky being strong and young.
He went to work camps in Germany.

He lived in Switzerland now.
He  learn to appreciate everyday being alive.
He whispered " I still don't understand the hate for us from the Germans."
 

I said very little.
I had great respect for this man.


 He taught me what we can endure to stay alive.


His last words stays with me.


 As he shook my hand.

 
His eyes filled with tears.


Told me.

"I  pray everyday this Never again happens again.
 Nie Wieder."


He left me sitting alone.
Thinking how hateful and cold this world can be.


                                      Coyote
                                     November 2008 

 

© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
I was a 19 year Soldier in Germany.That day I knew I was taught all life is important.
Coyote

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one is very well written. I've learned about all this in history class. The jewish people were in an extremely dangerous, and cruel situation. The nazi government began with prosecuting them way before the second world war. They were sent to "work camps" I'd say the proper word does not exist to describe the inhuman treatment they were put through. They were forced to work till they died. Killed using gas, shot. There was a Hungarian poet, who was also jewish. He and a lot of others were taken from one camp to another, and finally they were forced to dig out their own mass grave, and then the soldiers shot them, straight in the grave. Nasty stuff. Anyway, I read his poems, all of them. I wish someone would have translated them, so i could show you. 100 points.

Posted 8 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Thank you. World been at war for 10,000 years. The poem told of a man who survived hell and stay hum.. read more
Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.



Reviews

I can still hear my Oma and Opa (grandparents) saying, "nooit meer"...never again in Dutch. Your words gave me goosebumps, John. My father was an American soldier in WWII and he helped liberate Auschwitz. By some miracle of fate, one of the people he carried out of the camp was my mother's cousin. She never forgot that. Yes, the world can be hateful and cold. There is so much prejudice in this world. So much hatred of people simply because of their religion or the color of their skin. If we remain vigilant, we can ensure this will never happen again. Thank you for posting this poem, my friend. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I have the book above me. I have bought three copies. Gave one to an worker and stepfather. His name.. read more
Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thanks, John. I will look for the book on line and order it.
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I have read it twice. Used his quotes. He is a amazing man. Still alive.
"The soldier hand fed him because he was too weak to feed himself.
The soldier took care of him for three months.
He was very weak and never asked the soldier name."

These three lines really made me try to think of more ways that I can try to be of help to others.
This poem truly is very beautiful. All life is very important. It bothers me when I think about how a lot of us take so much for granted (even I do) and never think twice about others. I felt every emotion in this and it was amazing. What a great story.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good story. The old still remember. Its good to hear their reminders.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a beautiful piece...brought me to tears...amazing well written...touches the heart...Love thes lines
"I pray everyday this Never again happens again.
Nie Wieder."
He left me sitting alone.
Thinking how hateful and cold this world can be.''
They are so deep and pregnant with meaning...fragile and delicate and yet it resonates with such great courage and conviction...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's amazing the things that pass through our lives to help us see things more clearly. Beautiful tale and can touch the heart of any who are lucky enough to read it! Thank you for sharing this!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Words fail me. This is a truly incredible, amazing story. What a special man he was. Thank you for your service.
I am half German and that part of my heritage saddens me. All we can do is remember what happened, not gloss over that terrible history so it never happens again. I too pray Nie Wieder. Lord bless.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is heart wrenching love! I admire you sharing experiences, I really do..the ending of this really made me so sad, caused a tear! The whole poem is a relay of something precious amd emotive! xoxo

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"He left me sitting alone.

Thinking how hateful and cold this world can be."

Oh my I broke into tears when I read this. So sad. I felt your feelings in this. The world could be so cruel, and people can be cruel to each other. In many cases we hope that we COULD remove war, hunger, pain and anger out of the world. How wonderful place the world would be then. The CHANGE begins with ourselves, people HAS to change.

Thank you dear for sharing this with us. It means a lot for me. I will share this with my friends cause I want everyone to read this. You've experienced a LOT in your life, thank you for sharing it.

Love,
Sarah



Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This poem is honourable! Thank you for writing this convicting poem. Life truly is important and getting things in check with history and the current wars certainly convicts me because of how good we have it here in the states.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

World wil b so scary to live in widout humanity........deeply touching
I wish der was no space for hate in human's life......enjoyed very much

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6813 Views
79 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on December 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 10, 2011
Previous Versions

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Grey Grey

A Poem by OT