The Water, Sky and the Earth. Red Fox journey.

The Water, Sky and the Earth. Red Fox journey.

A Chapter by Coyote Poetry
"

Native Americans lost their spirit and strong heart. Needed to meditate with the water, sky and earth to find the right path.

"
      






















                          We thank the Great Spirit  for all
                          the benefits. He has conferred
                          upon us. For myself. I never take
                          a drink of water from the spring.
                          without being mindful of His goodness.
                                   Black Hawk Sauk

                          What is life? It is a flash of a firefly in the
                          night. It is a breath of a buffalo in the
                          winter time. It is as the little shadow that
                          runs across the grass and loses itself in
                          the sunset.
                                     Crowfoot, Blackfeet

                         Trouble no man about his religion-
                         respect him in his view of the
                         Great Spirit. and demand of him that
                         he respects yours. Treat with respect
                         such things as he hold sacred.
                         Do not force your religion on anyone.
                                 Wabasha and Red Jacket. Seneca
 
                            
                     New Journey

Red Fox had his yearly mandatory military physical in 1977. His body was getting weaker. He had less energy and always felt tire. The rosemary tea did help. Don Francis  told him to drink the tea. His body will need help. Camp Pendleton was his home now. Close to twenty years in the Marine. He loved being close to the sea. Gave him a peace. He would roam the backside of California desert and the coastline of Oregon with Coyote when they could. Today he sat waiting for the Doctor at the Camp Pendleton clinic. Coyote and Little Wolf told him. He was getting smaller. Losing too much weight. He held great concern for the answers from the tests he was given.

A young Doctor came in. He asked him. How do you feel Gunnery Sgt.?  Red Fox smile and told him. "I will know in a minute. I hope?" The young Doctor with sadness in his eyes told him his white cells were increasing and your body is getting weaker.  Red Fox asked. "What are you telling me?'

The Doctor showed him his charts. He explained. "When the body is unbalanced. The body will  become weaker. Your body is getting attacked. You have a form of Leukemia. However your case is worst. Your respiratory system is failing too. Many boys who served in Vietnam are becoming sick."

Red Fox asked the Doctor. "What can be done? Can anything be done? The Doctor spoke with sadness in his voice. "There are cancer treatment that can slow down the sickness. Some people can live with it for years. Some people will die very quickly."

Red Fox look outside the window. Watching the young Marines running by the clinic. He turned to the Doctor. Asked him. "What is the next step?

Red Fox called Coyote. Told him. "Time for a vacation." Coyote told him with concern. When and where? He knew his friend never asked for anything. The trip was planned to go to Mexico and see Little Wolf and Silent Bobcat.

They met in Monterey. Coyote found Red Fox sitting on the beach. Red Fox got up and gave him a hug. Thanks him for coming. Coyote saw the weight loss and the sickness in the face of Red Fox. He asked no questions. He saw some of the Army Soldiers become weaker and not return from leaves. He heard stories of the sickness brought home from Vietnam. Many rumors of a cancer caused by the chemical warfare being used. He did a silence prayer for Red Fox. He spend three years in Vietnam. His mind and body paid a hard price for war.

They listen to Morrison, Dylan and Elvis on  the highways to L.A and San Diego.  Red Fox finally spoke at  Big Surf. They ate lunch at the River Inn.  Red fox told Coyote. "Life is fair. We pay for our sins. I left Vietnam and came home. I saw and did terrible things for this government. I have killed many people with my weapon and these hands. I was told I had cancer. My payment for my sins.  No time table for how long I will live. I decided to retire and stay with Little Wolf and die with friends. My people are gone. The Cheyenne are few. I believe Don Francis will insure I have a good death with friends near."

Coyote wanted to cry and scream at the same time. He went to the bathroom and cries tear alone. His friend needed him to be strong. After 10 minutes in the stall. He forced  a smile and some hope out of his sad heart. He sat with his friend. Told him. "Old Don Francis may know some mystic cures. We have a lot of time for life. Remember we must save the Water, Sky and the Earth. We must teach the world to hate war. Love peace and protect Mother nature."

Red Fox smile and told him. "I needed you my friend Coyote. Death don't scare me. Dying alone does. Your words are true. I must do one damn good things in my life. Life isn't fair. But with the good medicine and hope from my good friends. Maybe I can trick death for a few more year?"

They arrived at the house.  Little Wolf and Silent Bobcat come out to greet them. Little Wolf could not believe how much weight Red Fox had lost. She reached her arms around him. Whispered. "My big cheyenne. I will take care of you and heal you of the pain."
Coyote saw Red Fox taking pain pills. He knew the cancer was in the blood and body.

Don Francis came out. He smile and spoke. "I have been waiting for you my friends Red. Tonight we sweat out the poison and repeat till the sickness is out of your skin. I have a herb to change the blood. We have much work to do." Little Wolf with many tears fall in Coyote arms.

The four sit together watching the sun fall into the west on the porch of the house. Little Wolf stood up and light the sage. She walk around them spreading the sage. Saying a silent prayer. They drank the rosemary tea and few words were spoken. In sadness words mean very little.

                                Coyote






© 2011 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Finally a new chapter. Hard to find time to write. Please assist if weaknesses.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful tale, Coyote. All your poetry shows us of how good your friends are to you, but this shows how good a friend you are in return. Was the name Coyote given to you by your Native friend? That's a huge honour. My mother is Cherokee, and has a Native name which is her legal one now. The phrase "He forced a smile and some hope out of his sad heart" is particularly striking. In the grips of grief, it can feel really difficult to find a shred of positivity left. Squeezing it out of one's heart is a great way of putting it, as it does take massive effort to drag that positivity up to a tangible state.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

11 Years Ago

I did a lot of training in the California desert. My main job was driving the water truck. In the ea.. read more
Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

11 Years Ago

Thanks for sharing your story! That's really interesting, and a kind nickname from your comrades. Th.. read more



Reviews

You have amazing detail for nostalgia..take us right back there....the desccriptive nature entwined with emotions make it a joy to read...awesome writing and thanks for writin such :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First time I have read anything of yours in book form. I enjoyed it immensely.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Death don't scare me. Dying alone does. Your words are true. I must do one damn good things in my life. Life isn't fair."

i always get emotional when i read your write Coyote..its connected way deep i think...

ps: i will read the other parts as well! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Simple but powerful words and a very moving story. Thanks for sharing Coyotte!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow is right! Brings me to tears. Thank you for sharing your words, your wisdom, your discoveries and emotions. I always love what you write. Such powerful words with powerful meaning. Loved reading this Coyote.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is the third write to bring tears to my eyes today. You guys are suppose to posting scary horror reads today!! It Halloween. lol I'm just kidding. This is a fantastic chapter Coyote. I'll make sure to read the other chapters. I love the quotes at the beginning. I've read the Crowfoot/Blackfeet tribe quote before. I've always said that Native Americans have the most beautiful sayings and your work proves that. Thank you so much for sharing your memories and thoughts with us. I hope you are having a wonderful day..xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hope is the 'ace' here,i suppose.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, excellent piece. Is this a true story? If it is then im ecstatic to see that the memories such as these still stay strong and vivid in your mind, for it is these terrible - yet powerful - that define a person, and being able to express yourself this way has allowed you to become the amazing writer that you are...

Thank you for the excellent read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great chapter indeed. Red Fox condition seems to be stable with the rosemary tea but for how long? Very detailed, a few minor errors but other than that, a good, written chapter. Nice job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2090 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 31, 2011
Last Updated on October 31, 2011


Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..