The Fox

The Fox

A Story by Catherine

 

         I was just finished my homework when I decided to go for a walk. It was a sunny yet breezy Thursday afternoon and I was home alone for the next hour. I swept my long hair into a quick braid and put on my coat. I walked out to the shed and put my dog, Charlie on a leash, he loves going for walks, and today was no exception!

   As I walked out the gate I put my headphones on and turned up the tunes. I was walking for about 20 minutes when I saw a biggish animal sitting in the middle of the road. As I got closer, I noticed it was facing away from me, and decided it was in fact a fox. Charlie started barking and tugging at my leash and as he is a husky dog; it was hard to keep him restrained. He eventually broke free, which is unlike him and his normal gentile nature. He ran back in the direction of home. I called him, but knew he would be sitting on the front porch when I went home so I continued my walk as I was inclined to satisfy my curiosity over the mysterious immovable animal. 

    I was now about 20 yards away and decided maybe I should call the animal before I got too close; in case I startled him. As I shouted out, I expected a reaction, but the creature contentedly sat in the middle of the road. No cars had passed by since my walk, as we live down a particularly quiet lane in the thick of the countryside’s peaceful solidarity, so no car had disturbed it. I wondered how long the fox had been there for when I realised I was only a few feet away from the fox. My heart was racing and my palms were sweating but I had an insatiable desire and attraction to see the mysterious creature. Before I knew it we were face to face.  

    As I looked into the foxes eyes I fell into a trance, the glossy blue eyes were round and moist from crying. They sat in the skull of a fox with well-defined features and thick whiskers which populated his lower jowls. As I looked into his soul we made a connection and I could feel the pain the creature had went through.

‘Are you ok, boy?’ I asked as I rubbed the glistening auburn hairs on his back. The animal then got up and walked away from me. I didn’t know what this was about. I followed the fox and down the road I saw a small animal body on the road. He looked up at me and I knew it was his baby and that it was dead. We got closer and I moved it into the ditch, not a flattering burial, but what else could I do? The fox looked into my eyes one more time and then disappeared into the ditch. I walked home knowing my journey was over. I felt strange as I walked home. I couldn’t get the fox out of my head. I went to bed as soon as I went home, but was awoken by a whining noise outside my window. I opened my curtains and saw the fox with his baby frolicking in the garden. Something very special was after happening and I smiled and returned to my bed, dreaming sweet dreams of foxes running in the meadow.

© 2013 Catherine


Author's Note

Catherine
Please leave any comments you like, critisize this to the hilt!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on April 28, 2013
Last Updated on April 28, 2013
Tags: mysterious, animals, foxes, teen, girl, young, fox, pain, death

Author

Catherine
Catherine

Ireland



About
14 and loves to write more..