Slacktide

Slacktide

A Poem by HumanNaturePoet
"

If even the great ocean takes a pause between the busyness of tides, so should I in the busyness of my days. (This poem is part of a poetography piece.)

"

Earth’s productive pulse

depends upon

the tides’ harmonic conflict

 

of pushes to

foamy hysteria and pulls to

muddy stagnation.

 

But there is a moment

when momentums cease,               

a lull between the doings

 

when even the great sea

recalls the import of pause

and suspends ambitions

 

on a glassy sigh of reflection.

There too will I take rest

at the stand of the tide.

© 2022 HumanNaturePoet


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

"there too will I take rest/at the stand of the tide"
That is such a powerful line in a poignantly powerful poem. It was a joy to read! Keep writing and I will keep reading!

Posted 1 Year Ago


HumanNaturePoet

1 Year Ago

Thank you, Aidan! :D I'm glad the last line stood out and that you enjoyed the poem. :)
This one may be a cautionary tale warning us to avoid the excesses of overindulgence and stagnation. When we find ourselves going too far in either direction, we should seek the slack tide. Good advice.

Posted 1 Year Ago


HumanNaturePoet

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reviewing! :) That is very much what I was thinking - we often are "all or nothing", a.. read more
• of pushes to foamy hysteria and pulls to muddy stagnation.

It seems you've not been on a beach though a tidal cycle. No mud is involved there, and the surf changes intensity based on the bottom, not the fact of being closer or further from the high tide mark.

I'm guessing you're thinking of a back-bay situation where the low tide can expose mud-flats. But if so, the reader can't know that. In any case, there's no stagnation taking place in the short time of the mud's exposure. And high tide doesn't bring, "foamy hysteria," (except in such places as The Bay of Fundy), just more water.

The problem is that when we read back our own work we have two things the reader lacks: Context and intent. So for you it works perfectly. But when you say, "Earth’s productive pulse depends upon the tides’ harmonic conflict," My reaction is, "what in the pluperfect hells is a productive pulse?" Other than producing blood movement, what does our pulse produce? But because you're aware of your intent for the meaning of the phrase, for you it's dead on target. That's one reason why we need to do our editing from the seat of the reader, and, why it's best not to talk TO the reader.

Sorry to pee in the tidal pool, but I thought a reaction from the perspective of the reader might help.

One suggestion, I give to pretty much everyone is to download Mary Oliver's, A Poetry Handbook. The lady is positively brilliant, and well worth reading.

Hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/


Posted 1 Year Ago


HumanNaturePoet

1 Year Ago

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my piece Jay! :) Ironically, I have grown up on the beac.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2022
Last Updated on September 19, 2022
Tags: ocean, tides, high tide, low tide, peace

Author

HumanNaturePoet
HumanNaturePoet

Bruswick, GA



About
Poet, kayak ecotour guide, writing teacher/tutor: my days are steeped in Nature & words. more..

Writing