Leap of Faith

Leap of Faith

A Story by Catherine L

Balanced on the precipice, I took a deep breath and looked out over the vast space before me.  I was called to this place by an unknown force as a challenge but to what I didn’t know and so I wasn’t sure I what I was supposed to do.

This place is a portal between two worlds and I don’t know how I got here.  It was very quiet - too quiet as though there was no other living entity around.   The temperature was mild and there was no breeze at all.  It was like being in a vacuum except there was air to breathe.   But the air tasted stale; almost lifeless.  All around me it was hazy and difficult to see more than a foot in any direction.  It made me feel very uncomfortable like someone was secretly watching me.

 I was walking on a mysterious path toward an unknown destination.  With each step as I placed my front foot down the space before me would be softly illuminated while each time I lifted my back foot the space behind me would turn dark and murky.  I travelled a great distance on this path in the light and dark simultaneously.  It left me disoriented.  The terrain was rough and it made my footing unsure.  It was difficult to ascertain what was up ahead so I could never prepare myself for what I might encounter.    At one point I stepped to the side of the path and felt the earth give way.  I began to fall.  I caught myself and I sensed that there was a steep drop off on both sides of the path and I vowed to be more careful.  Several times I thought I saw shadowy figures off to the side of the path but was never sure if I could believe what I was seeing.  It was though the light and dark played tricks on me.  Occasionally I would see a silhouette of what I thought was a tree; but not like any tree I had seen before.  I continued at a slow but steady pace for hours and began to think there was no end.  I was tired and wanted to stop but this mysterious force beckoned me and I apprehensively obliged.

The path ended at what appeared to be a clearing.  There was a little more light and I was better able to observe my surroundings.  I could see in front of me the earth rose up about twice my height.  Behind me it was completely dark like a black hole.  I had no idea what to expect.  I considered what I should do next and I decided to rest awhile.  I cleared an area on the ground where I could sit. I quieted my mind and tried to regain my strength but my rest was short lived as I was summoned to continue.

I climbed the hill carefully as I did not want to disturb the earth. When I reached the top there was a ledge, a precipice.  I stood perfectly still at the edge and looked out over the vast space before me.  As far as the eye could see there were small droplets of water suspended in space.  I could see each individual droplet.  They were tear-drop shaped and illuminated from inside.  Cast out around each droplet was the colors of the rainbow and these colors danced like ribbons around each droplet.  I couldn’t see what lied beyond these water droplets but occasionally I see down between them.  It appeared I had reached the top of a mountain.  I couldn’t see the bottom.

Standing perfectly still with my arms stretched out I took a deep breath and when I exhaled I leaned slightly forward.  In slow motion my feet came off the ground and for just a second I was suspended in the air.  There is a discernible moment where everything stops and I was held in this place.  It was at this precise instant I asked myself “Is my destiny foretold or do I have the power to determine what happens?”

I sit straight up gasping for air.  It feels so real.  I always wake up at this point in my dream.  But I know this is much more than just a dream.  It’s my preparation for there will come a day when I will find myself on the precipice and the answer to my question. 

© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on October 13, 2012
Last Updated on October 13, 2012

Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L