Body Snatcher

Body Snatcher

A Story by Catherine L

This is the perfect time of day and I intend to enjoy every moment of it.  A lazy Sunday morning lingering in bed with nowhere to be and no reason to get up makes me purr like a kitten.  I can tell it’s early as the sunlight is soft as it peeks through my bedroom blinds.  I drift off to sleep again for just a little longer and wake feeling like I cheated Sunna out of her duty to get me up.   I slowly rise and make my way to the shower.  A gentle rain washes away the night and my homemade lavender & rosemary body scrub invigorates me.  Ready to face the day I pull back the shower curtain and reach for my towel.  I’m startled and look behind me thinking there is someone else there.  But it’s a ridiculous notion for I know I am all alone.  I turn back around and look in the mirror.  That can’t be me I think.  That’s not MY body.  What’s going on?  I dry myself off and step out of the shower for a closer look.

 

Hum.  The body is vaguely familiar but does fall short of what I’m used to seeing reflected back at me.  Maybe I need a new mirror - maybe a “man mirror”.  You know the one - every time you look into it you get better looking and younger!  I wonder if I can find one that’s made for a woman.  If only it was that simple. 

 I quickly dress in comfortable shorts and a tee shirt which, of course, doesn’t fit this BODY very well.  It’s definitely not the mirror.  I decide to make a cup of tea and mull over this disturbing situation.  While my tea steeps, I do my morning sun salutations.  This isn’t going too well either.  This body doesn’t have the same flexibility or range for my usual yoga routine.  And when I am in the Downward Dog position I see that the skin around these knees is all bunched up and wrinkled - better suited for a Shar Pei than me.  This is far worse than I imagined.  I stop my yoga in the middle of the routine. 

Upset, I get my tea and settle on the porch.  When did this happen?  I feel as though I have been robbed - someone has taken my youthful body and replaced it with this old thing.   Did I look away just long enough for someone to snatch it from me?  Or is it something more sinister " perhaps they took their time, gaining my trust and slowly taking away my body in bits and pieces until it was too late and my youthful body was gone.

I guess I have no choice.  Unless the thief returns my body I will have to keep this one.  I now have the daunting task of learning what this body can do and how much time and effort it will take to get THIS body in shape.  I am not looking forward to this.  Oh, I already miss my body.

© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on October 24, 2012
Last Updated on October 24, 2012

Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L