Bon Appetite

Bon Appetite

A Story by Catherine L

I leaned toward the television with my hand out expecting the plate to be passed to me.  I got so caught up in the whole artistry of the show I thought I was right there.  I believed I could smell and taste the food.  It was that powerful.  The Food Channel, or at least how it was years ago, took me to places I had only dreamt about.  Those were the days when high profile chefs from renowned restaurants cooked for the audience displaying their superior skills and knowledge of the art of cooking.

 It was wonderful to watch �"  beautiful produce chopped - red or green peppers, onions, garlic, celery, shallots or whatever the featured dish called for - and placed in small glass bowls lined up on the prep counter.  A hot sauté pan with oil waiting to receive these gifts from the chef and then the popping sound made when the cold tidbits met the hot pan.  Exotic spices added in just the right amount along with a splash of white or red wine.   Farmer’s Market fresh vegetables:  tiny white eggplant, baby carrots with their tops still attached, tender asparagus, succulent Heirloom tomatoes . . .   The choices were as endless as the imagination of the chef.  They would use forbidden ingredients like real butter, heavy cream and bacon to add fullness and rich flavor.  Comfort foods were taken to new heights like Yukon gold whipped potatoes with a dollop of cream cheese and a dash of nutmeg added or macaroni & cheese with white cheddar and Gruyere cheese topped with freshly made breadcrumbs.  These gourmet versions would satisfy even the fussiest of diners.

 I would watch as skillful hands expertly prepared impressive main courses such as succulent duck, mouthwatering crown roast of pork or a magnificent standing rib roast.   The chef would place the main course in a beautiful baking dish and then whisk it off to the oven which was at the optimum temperature to cook it to perfection.  I could hear the juices sizzle and feel the heat escaping from the oven as the masterpiece was removed and brought to the counter for the audience to gaze at and delight in its aroma.  My mouth would water in anticipation of a bite.

 If I was very lucky the segment would end with a dessert.  Maybe a Crème Brule with its creamy soft center and caramelized sugar blanket dotted with fresh raspberries or a decadent flourless chocolate cake with chocolate ganache drizzled over top and finished with a fine dusting of confectionate sugar.  The presentation of the dessert was just as enticing as the dessert itself.  Dishes adorned with delicate sauces, ripened fruit or fresh whipped cream were as alluring to the eyes as the dessert was to the mouth. 

At the end of the show select audience members were presented with the meal along with a glass of impeccably paired wine.  I imagined the aroma, texture and taste of that first bite would be like heaven and it wouldn’t end until every morsel was eaten.  I was never disappointed when I chose to forgo other activities and watch the Food Channel.   From the moment the show started I was captivated �" all my senses engaged in this seduction of epicurean delight and I transport to another place.  Bon Appetite!

 

 

© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on November 9, 2012
Last Updated on November 9, 2012

Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L