The Idea of Living Two Lifetimes

The Idea of Living Two Lifetimes

A Story by Cat Je
"

A child's life is over, metaphorically speaking, at around the age of 25. First lifetime. An adult's life begins at age 25. Second lifetime.

"
As I grow older I don't look back and think about what I would do differently, I look back and marvel at how completely different my life as a child was from my life as an adult. That's clearly stating the obvious but can they be categorized as two lifetimes? Most definitely, yes!

My childhood was a life lived, over and done with. I can no longer live as, act like or be treated as a child ever again. My childhood was a lifetime of playing games, learning how to read and write, being tucked into bed by my parents and learning how to ride a bicycle, swim and eventually, drive a car. I did a lot in that lifetime! And it feels as if it happened a lifetime ago.

I don't blame anyone age 25 and under for disagreeing with me that they are still in their childhood lifetime. It's okay. When they get to be my age they will understand. I wished that I had believed it to be true when I was a young adult when adults told me I should listen to my elders. I never did because the desire to find out for one's self is infinitely greater than the desire to listen to one's parents, grandparent's or aunts and uncles.   

The childhood lifetime is meant to be a time of laying foundations, building trust and independence, building relationships and building character. Ever growing upwards. While there is never one specific moment whereby one has arrived, there is a moment whereby one should depart. Even though age 25 is typically more than only one-quarter of a lifetime on earth, it seems to be a good age to put the childhood lifetime aside and become a full-grown, responsible adult.

The adult lifetime is not nearly as much fun as the childhood lifetime. It is a life spent working, continuing with higher education, paying bills, raising a family, caring for elderly parents, growing old and looking forward to retirement. A lifetime of decisions, decisions, decisions. However, that is not to say that the adult lifetime is without fun, merriment and laughter. We learned how to have fun as children and as adults, we will do well to remember how to have fun. Serious adults are not fun to be around.

I have fond memories of my first lifetime. When all is said and done, I hope I can say that for my second lifetime.

© 2014 Cat Je


Author's Note

Cat Je
I can't improve without your honesty!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on November 16, 2014
Last Updated on November 16, 2014
Tags: aging, learning, children, adults, lifetime, childhood

Author

Cat Je
Cat Je

Tarpon Springs , FL



About
I love to write so much that, if it were possible, I would quit my day job and write full time. Writing gives me the opportunity to learn and earn! Over the past 3 years I've sold 7 out of the 12 arti.. more..