Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by Catonia06
"

The Retribution

"
Chapter 22

Robert waited anxiously outside Doctor Allen: the pathologists office with Carl. It had been 2 days since they had gotten forensics to the scene where the dagger was found, and gotten it to Edward Allen for approval - even though they were adamant that it was the weapon, but they still needed the professional say so.

"Detectives," Allen called, as he opened his office door.

Both detectives stood up and went into the office and sat down, opposite the pathologist.

"Gentlemen." He took out a file from his filing cabinet and began flicking through. "Me and my team studied the information thoroughly, we took into account that this instrument was undeniably used in the role of murder...but...I'm afraid it's not the weapon used to kill Mary Shaw."

"What?!" Robert and Carl answered at the same time.

Allen took out a photograph of the dagger and faced it in the direction of the two officers. He put his finger onto the blade to demonstrate. "In this image, you will see right here that despite having blood on it, it does not match the open wound recorded on the victim. The blade edge is too thick and there are slight chippings, but Shaw's wound was a perfect, clean cut."

"So, what now?" asked Carl.

"So...perhaps this is a breakthrough into her connection with Michael Ashen. You best inform Mr and Mrs Ashen at once!"

"Tell us what to look for!" Robert pushed.

"To be precise, but don't take this as gospel...you are looking for a man's razor. Although, this being the utmost likely, it would now be sitting in someone's bathroom getting used every morning as a normal blade, so I wouldn't build my hope too much. It would be near on impossible by now."

.

"Mrs Ashen, may we come in?" Robert asked Natalie Ashen, as him, Carl and Lorraine stood on the doorstep of the Ashens' mansion.

Natalie only stood there staring blankly, knowing there must have been very bad news. Why else would they have brought Finley, unless they had made progress leading to something bad?

"Let's go in and sit down," Lorraine suggested, though it was more like a demand.

Natalie's eyes widened with fear. She could tell by the way the 2 male detectives were clutching their hats to their chests that something wasn't right. It was like a mark of respect. "Oh, Jesus. No," she whimpered, tears filling her eyes.

Lorraine grabbed her arm gently and prompted her to direct them to the front living room, where they all took a seat and Natalie prepared herself for the news.

"It's very bad news," Robert said softly.

Natalie looked at their sympathetic faces, realising the horror. She then gave a mighty cry, so Lorraine leaned over and put her arms around her to calm her down.

"My Baby! No, no, no! It's not true!" By which point she became hysterical and jumped up and headed for the door.

Lorraine jumped up and went to stop her. "Shh...It's OK."

"No it's f*****g not OK! where's his body!" she howled. "I wanna see him! Where is he?!" She broke down, hysterically.

"There is no body. It's just that they found a dagger near the crime scene and it wasn't the weapon used to kill Mary Shaw, so we just want to know where else it could have come from," Lorraine replied. "There's still hope!" That was a lie just to comfort the mother.

Robert sat looking guilty. He knew he probably shouldn't have worded it so brutally in such early stages, but it did look hopeless, so he couldn't see the point in lying and sugar coating things. Michael's parents had to learn the harsh truth eventually. Lorraine shot him a look, though Robert being Robert - he responded with, "I wasn't aware that I'd farted!"

Natalie's tears subsided for a moment and she gasped in disbelief at his attitude. "Who the s**t let you be a police detective?! You're the most obnoxious prick I've ever met in my life."

"And you have got to be the most foul mouthed woman I've ever met in my life," Robert replied.

Natalie saw red and lunged at him, though Lorraine tried to restrain her, but failed, resulting in the furious woman repeatedly slapping Robert on the head and then punching him. As she landed the first punch, she caught his nose and it bled.

"You been owed that!" Carl growled.

Lorraine nodded slightly in agreement.

.

Outside, as the three officials got back into the car and headed off out of the gates, they argued.

"We're not helping you report that. You deserved all ya got," Carl said to Robert, who was wiping his nose with tissue paper.

Robert just replied, as he fastened his seat belt, "You think I don't know that? I'm hardly gonna report her when it was me who asked for it. I'm a fair cop."

Yeah, like hell you are, Lorraine said to him in her mind.


© 2010 Catonia06


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
Added on November 15, 2010
Last Updated on November 24, 2010
Tags: Dead, Silence, Mary, Shaw


Author

Catonia06
Catonia06

United Kingdom



About
First time writer that hopes to learn and develop a new skill.I've never written anything before,so be helpful in your reviews and be precise e.g. say exactly what could be done to improve it,rather t.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Catonia06