Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A Chapter by Catonia06
"

The Retribution

"
Chapter 25

A week later, Victor had been arrested then released on lack of evidence. There was no way of Robert and Carl connecting him to Marvin Hacking's suicide. Worst of all, the sergeant was considering closing the case, seeing as they were at a dead end. The bloody dagger wasn't the murder weapon they were looking for - but, it was a major development regarding Michael Ashen. Although that case was to stay open, the Mary Shaw case was fast running out.

Robert paced the incident room, with everyone sat around, then began: "It looks to me like Michael Ashen is dead, so we're onto searching for a body. Mary Shaw, however; we have nothing to implicate anyone. Our only source of information has hanged himself in his cell, so I think we can kiss goodbye to any more moving forward. Nobody else in Ravens Fair will say a word. Mr Ashen is in the clear for involvement in her murder and will probably stay that way."

Carl intervened, "But sir, the dagger pretty much tells us that she did kill Michael, and that the lynch mob lynched the right person."

"Your point?" Robert waited for an answer, but got nothing. "Whether they lynched the right person is irrelevant. If they were right, lucky them; but lynching people who they think may be guilty is a serious crime whichever way."

A young male officer sat upright, looking towards Robert and seeming somewhat appalled. "So we're still wasting our time on a f*****g child killer? We know she did it. The dagger says it all." He glanced at the others, prompting their support, which they gave to him with mutters and nodding. "They should get a medal of honour."

"You got something to say?" Robert sighed impatiently.

"Yeah, I think we all do, don't we guys?"

Everyone present, apart from Carl nodded. "Yeah!"

Carl rose his voice above the heated chattering. "We have to be professional, guys. We are never to allow our emotions and personal opinions influence, let alone dominate our job or our missions."

Robert gave a brief clap. "Well done, son!" He then hushed everyone, before explaining. "I've been in this job a hell of a lot longer than all of you sitting here,  and I know that while some cases can be very distressing, we must never ever do anything that's motivated by our own personal feelings. It's not our job to give our personal opinions; but to deliver justice fairly and equally."

The officer sat back, displaying attitude. "OK... So I'm walking off the case, and everyone here who's got any decency will too." He started daggers to Carl, then added, "But I take it brown nose'll be staying."

Robert became angry. "Listen! For the f****n' record, just because the dagger was in Mary Shaw's yard does not mean that she killed Michael Ashen with it."

"It is obvious though, sir," Carl commented, politely.

"OK..." Robert admitted. "Even if she did it, we still have a job to do. She has as much right to justice as anyone else.  We are all professionals here."

The officer stood up. "I'm walking off the case. Where child murder's concerned; I'm sorry, but my emotions win out!"

Everyone except Carl began leaving the incident room with him in protest.

Carl looked around the empty room. "We ain't got a foot to stand on," he shrugged.

Robert huffed. "We really should give up now. I mean, we ain't got no support from any of Ravens Fair, our own department's gone against us, Francis and his boys don't look too enthusiastic. The only reason this case is even still going is because of all the damn running around from us two, and the publicity with the connection to the missing kid."

"Wilson's in jail and Hacking's dead," Carl added.

"Wilson changed his mind. We have no witnesses now."

Carl suddenly sprung to life, before blurting out, "The woman! The blonde that we talked to early in the case and she gave the Ashens a bad report. I can bet she'd be up for dropping them in."

"Yes!" Robert then calmed instantly. "But it's only her, and all she said is that the Ashen family stirred everyone up."

"Do you think we've got a chance?"

Robert hesitated. "...Even if we did, sonny; this case is already past it's sell-by. Plus it wouldn't render us too popular: dragging out a case about a lynched child killer."


© 2011 Catonia06


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
Added on February 24, 2011
Last Updated on March 23, 2011
Tags: Dead, Silence, Mar, Shaw


Author

Catonia06
Catonia06

United Kingdom



About
First time writer that hopes to learn and develop a new skill.I've never written anything before,so be helpful in your reviews and be precise e.g. say exactly what could be done to improve it,rather t.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Catonia06