My Own Kick in the Pants

My Own Kick in the Pants

A Story by Anthony D. Howe
"

TL:DR I'm back, I hope

"
     "Where'd the time go?"  I asked myself this question this morning, and I realized I didn't like the answer.  I'm in the same place I was when I discovered this website, except I've gotten away from what I used to really enjoy.  Reading back through my old stuff I realize that I slowly became the person I am today, and I'm not sure I like him.  Really it's a slow decent into depression and acceptance of "my place".
     I don't want to be this person anymore.  I want to write again, be happy again, and I think that I can.  I'm married now, one of the few things that gives me happiness anymore, but I miss writing, I miss being creative.  I miss who I thought I was and what I thought I could do with my life. 
     Until very recently, I had no social life at all, and I spent my days working, always making excuses to myself and others why I always seemed to not want to do anything, "I work on computers in my spare time, I have to go here, do this." The funny thing is I never even used people in my excuses.  I never once said already had plans to hang out with someone, or go to the movies with a friend.  It's like, even in my own head, I wasn't allowed to hang out with people.
     As I sit here writing this, I'm afraid.  Afraid I wont do it.  Afraid that after I write this, I wont be able to get up the motivation to come back to this website and write again.  I just feel listless.  My wife may find this strange, I always seem so cheerful, but I put up a facade.  If I act happy I'll feel it right?  But I'm not, and this is the first time I've been truly honest with myself in a while.  I guess it makes sense, after all, I was always better at expressing what I felt through my writing than verbally.  Maybe that why I got away from it, I was being too honest with myself and I didn't like it.
     This isn't a plea for attention, this is a plea to myself.  I want to follow through on something just this once.  I want to complete something, to feel like I did something because of me, because of what I wanted to do.  Too much of my life has been half completed up to this point, and I feel like all of those stuttering starts, all of those half-hearted attempt are what have led me to this point.  Complacency is the problem, time I dealt with it.

© 2013 Anthony D. Howe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thank you greatly for sharing this with me. "I was always better at expressing what I felt through my writing than verbally." i'm like that too and i told myself i was going to jump back into writing and i come to find i'm doing the opposite and becoming more vocal. (thanks to my friends at the hobby house). Any who i wish you well in your future writing.

best wishes,
ear

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Added on September 4, 2013
Last Updated on September 4, 2013

Author

Anthony D. Howe
Anthony D. Howe

TX



About
Heya! I've been writing for a long time, and I enjoy ever second of it. I'm a big poetry writer, and between my novel, mine and Katy's novel, and my poetry I hope to entertain you people. Happy adv.. more..

Writing