The Mysterious Voice: Uncovering the Secrets Hidden in the Night

The Mysterious Voice: Uncovering the Secrets Hidden in the Night

A Story by Charlotte Flores
"

The protagonist investigates a strange noise outside on a dreary day, leading them to a disturbing encounter in a warehouse with a woman who uses human flesh for food and fashion.

"


I couldn't recall if it was a dreary holiday or a dull Saturday, but either way, I found myself cooped up at home, spending most of my day in bed. I was lying there, disoriented, when a voice from outside the house jolted me out of my reverie. Removing my pink pillow, I sat up and brushed my shiny, jet-black hair. For a moment, I wondered if I was hallucinating or caught in a dream. I clasped my hands together, resting them on the wide, thin skirt of my nightgown. The sky outside was still dark, and the walls of my room were painted a drab shade of gray.


I heard the voice again, and my ears perked up. No, it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me. The sound was undoubtedly coming from outside, and it echoed in my head. I got up and peered out the window. Something was moving in the corner of the yard. I turned on my bedside lamp, then looked outside again, this time through the clear glass. Something was shaking. Fear gripped me, but I summoned the courage to grab my thin jacket from the hanger and put it on. I stepped outside and found myself surrounded by a dense, gray fog as dusk settled in.


The sound grew louder the further I walked, but the thing I saw behind the window was no longer making any noise. Fear consumed me, and my forehead was drenched in sweat. I stood next to a tree in the garden, wiping the sweat off my forehead with the corner of my sleeve when I heard the sound again.


The wind was blowing among the slender, brittle branches of the trees, intensifying my fear. I wanted to run back inside or call someone, but a strange force seemed to be drawing me towards the warehouse. It might have been a cat or some other animal making the sound. A few weeks ago, one of the cats had given birth to her litter in the same barn, nestled amidst old suitcases and boards. Just the thought of cuddling with the cats filled me with joy, though I was still somewhat afraid. I had no choice but to investigate the source of the sound. So, with trembling hands, I walked towards it. Darkness enveloped everything, and my eyes were not accustomed to it. My fingers were numb from the cold, and my entire body shook. The wind kept opening and closing the door, making a creaking noise that only added to my fear.


As I cautiously entered the warehouse, scanning the surroundings, I took a deep breath to calm myself. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but then my foot struck a metallic object, creating a loud clatter. I fell to my knees on a heap of firewood, gathering my wits and quickly getting up. I glanced around, my heart pounding with fear. I could hear a faint groan coming from the corner of the warehouse, where two shiny, oval rings glimmered in the dark. I walked towards those objects, and suddenly, a black shadow darted past my eyes, as if leaping over my face. I let out a scream involuntarily and stepped back.


The black cat that had been lurking nearby scurried away upon seeing me, and I heaved a sigh of relief. I looked towards the other corner of the warehouse and saw several iron cages without covers. One of the roosters inside straightened its neck, raised its black feathers, and glared at me with watery eyes, looking aggressive as if ready to peck me. I assumed it must have been frightened by my screams and was now on guard.


I gazed around the room once more. All the old furniture, including the dusty dishes and battered suitcases, was still in place. Suddenly, I stumbled and fell, my mind consumed by my chronic insomnia. As I lay there, I was jolted by the sight of a hunchbacked old woman's head, resting ominously on the threshold of the door!


The figure was diminutive, reaching only up to my waist. I was rendered speechless as I gazed upon her reddened face and matted brown hair. The creature seemed equally taken aback by my presence and quickly averted her gaze, shuffling out of the room without a word. I was paralyzed with fear, unsure of what to do. Should I stay hidden in this warehouse forever, or dare to venture outside?


Silence enveloped me as I stood hesitantly by the door, my nerves frayed. Eventually, I made the decision to slowly approach the door, only to be met with a ghastly sight. A pool of blood had formed at the entrance, a haunting omen of what lay beyond.


The pit was a gruesome sight, filled with blood, severed limbs, and scattered bones adorned with feathers from poultry. My heart pounding, I looked up to see a woman with a broom in one hand and a hammer in the other, towering over me. Fear had paralyzed me, rendering me unable to look away from her disfigured face. A large purple mole dominated the corner of her cheek, which strangely seemed to enhance her twisted features. With a long, crooked nose and a single eye in the middle of her forehead, she appeared to be a being from another world. In that moment, time stood still, and I knew I had to escape, but my mind was unable to conjure a way out.


With a trembling voice, I stammered out an explanation for my presence, but the woman's bushy eyebrows furrowed in anger, and her eyes flickered towards the hammer in her hand. My worst fears were confirmed when she admitted to using the flesh of her victims for food and fashion. She offered me the hammer, urging me to join her in her macabre pursuits, and I reluctantly took it, preparing to break the bones before me.


However, a voice interrupted us, causing me to jump in surprise. I turned to see roosters crowing and pecking at the broken bones scattered near their cage. Confused, I looked back to the woman, only to realize she was not an old woman at all. Suddenly, the sound of the hammer echoed throughout the warehouse and beyond, a haunting reminder of the horrors that had taken place within its walls.

© 2023 Charlotte Flores


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The old woman reminded me of the witch in Hansel & Gretel story. I think the protagonist is now firmly trapped and must do the bidding of the witch who is not really an old woman after all. Or be eaten and used for macabre fashion! She should not have intruded on her space at all! I loved the description of fear, the tight story telling and the flow of words. This was an absolutely enjoyable story to read and I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Charlotte Flores

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for your comment and for taking the time to read my story! I'm glad you enjoyed it.. read more



Reviews

The old woman reminded me of the witch in Hansel & Gretel story. I think the protagonist is now firmly trapped and must do the bidding of the witch who is not really an old woman after all. Or be eaten and used for macabre fashion! She should not have intruded on her space at all! I loved the description of fear, the tight story telling and the flow of words. This was an absolutely enjoyable story to read and I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Charlotte Flores

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for your comment and for taking the time to read my story! I'm glad you enjoyed it.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 18, 2023
Last Updated on March 18, 2023
Tags: horror, suspense, thriller, mystery, survival, cannibalism, fear, isolation, darkness.

Author

Charlotte Flores
Charlotte Flores

WV



About
Hi there! My name is Charlotte Flores and I'm a 23-year-old aspiring writer living in West Virginia. Writing has always been my passion, and I've recently taken my first steps towards becoming a profe.. more..

Writing