The Rope

The Rope

A Poem by Chaz Hemsworth
"

A poem that doesn't need too much explanation/

"

Dangling over the edge.

Only a rope to hold on to.

I force myself to look up

Maybe that way

 I'll ignore I'm hanging.

I wish I had painkillers.

Maybe then

I'd forget my stinging hands

 

But I can't forget.

I can't move.

I can't even breathe for fear that if I do I will shift that rope just enough to make it snap.

 

And if it snaps, I die.

 

So I hold on.

But I don't know for how long.

© 2014 Chaz Hemsworth


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or offer my condolences for this poem. I think you did a phenomenal job of expressing isolation and depression here. This is the kind of poetry I believe can only be written from experience, whether it be your direct experience or something you have witness from someone else. Your poem has depth without being flashy. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Chaz Hemsworth

9 Years Ago

Congratulations would work. I have lived it first hand, but I actually don't relate to the depressi.. read more
'Dangling over the edge' Wow! this line got my attention!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is wonderfully written. I was able to feel panic rising in the writer's heart, and got a hold of the metaphor about his 'dangling' situation. It is truly easier to say that problems can be forgotten quickly than it can be actually done. But we do control the thought process, and the outcome depends on us. Thank you for sharing your work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very well written.. I love this Chaz! It is simple to understand and personally that is my favorite kind of poetry..

Posted 10 Years Ago


A beautiful take on anxiety. Even though it takes everything the narrator has just to hold on to the rope, just to resist plummeting into the abyss below, there's always the chance the rope will just snap and make all the effort worthless. It's saddening, but I do have to wonder, why not try to climb? Perhaps its just another comment on the anxious and depressed, that sometimes it's easier to hang there than to try and overcome it. Beautiful words regardless of my interpretations, thanks for writing it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


My, that's such a crazy situation. It actually made me think how I can relate myself to the speaker in terms of my current emotional state. And yes, I agree with your description, Chaz. This doesn't need much explaining. Well done, anyway.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

485 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2014
Last Updated on March 9, 2014
Tags: the, rope, hanging, poetry, stress, sadness, anxiety

Author

Chaz Hemsworth
Chaz Hemsworth

About
My name is *Chaz Hemsworth*. It's not really, but let's go with that. I'm 16 at the moment.My favorite author is probably Poe. I also like Sci-fi and fantasy. Because of the Poe influence, I t.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chaz Hemsworth