Letting Go

Letting Go

A Story by Chellie
"

A story of letting go of a long lost loved one. Learning to say goodbye and move on.

"

Letting Go

     The waves crashed onto the shore, washing away the many footprints left by people. The wind here was always blowing. It was a chilly wind that sends shivers throughout your body. In the distance, a small fishing boat sailed in front of the setting sun.

     It was just how she remembered it. The beach, this place, the smell, feel of the wind, she remembered it all. Of course she remembered it. After all, this is where she met him. It had been three years since her lover died, and she now returned home for the first time. She has returned to the place she belonged most.

     She had met him right on this beach at a spring break party. It was love at first sight. They exchanged numbers that night. After talking for a few weeks, they were considered a couple. Two years after that, they married on the same beach they first met on. A few years later, they decided to have children.

     After driving home from dinner one night, they were hit by a drunk driver. Both her husband and unborn son were killed. She was left alive with only a slight concussion and a scratch or two. She was devastated, and fled from her home town. She needed to get away from everything that would remind her of what was once her husband.

     Three years later, she returns, realizing that she needed to come to terms with her feelings and let them go. She returns to this town that holds so many memories of her and her husband.

     Her long brown hair cascaded down her back. Her blue eyes peering into the glistening ocean, looking, searching for a trace of her long lost love. The sun was almost completely down, and the tide had rose to meet her feet. She felt tears in her eyes daring to spill over. She lifted her hand and whipped them away from her eyes with a long slender finger. The wind began blowing harder. Her hair flew with the wind, and she extended her arms and let the wind hit her body. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. The smell of salt and sand filled her nostrils, and she let out a long sigh as the wind calmed down. The wind was not cold, but a warm, comforting wind. She knew at that moment that even though her love is not with her right now, that he is always watching over her. She knew that one day they would be together again.

     So she walked back up off the beach and onto the sidewalk. A young man greeted her and pulled her into a comforting embrace. He lightly kissed her forehead as he entangled his fingers with hers. As they walked away, she turned to take one last glance at the ocean. Turning to take her leave she whispered something almost inaudible. "Goodbye"

© 2009 Chellie


Author's Note

Chellie
Another short story. This one is about letting go. After a period of time after loosing someone very special to you, you will eventually have to let go of them and move on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The story title was really appropriate to your story and the first line was really good -a kind of indication of what is to come. Slight confusion in tenses ( "remembered" and "returns" etc) but that does not take away from the poignancy of the story. Also, her having lost an unborn child but suffering only a concussion was a little confusing for me.
The end provided a positive note and yet left us with the idea that she settled for someone less on earth because she knew she would be with her perfect partner in heaven.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

it was nicely written. great emotion

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love the imagery and emotion in this. Keep it up. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is sweetness. You should right more stories like this. Good plot

i like XD

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story title was really appropriate to your story and the first line was really good -a kind of indication of what is to come. Slight confusion in tenses ( "remembered" and "returns" etc) but that does not take away from the poignancy of the story. Also, her having lost an unborn child but suffering only a concussion was a little confusing for me.
The end provided a positive note and yet left us with the idea that she settled for someone less on earth because she knew she would be with her perfect partner in heaven.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful story, i really like the ending. Life goes on and we must all move on with it, thank you for sharing such a touching story

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awww! Sad but sweet :) I really like it; your descriptions were great. Hats off to you *claps*

The only real errors were a few instances where you confused your verb tenses.

~ Lis

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I found that this was a beautiful, yet sad write. Letting go is one of the hardest things to do. Yet we all come to terms with it sooner or later. This was done in a wonderful way that brought me in and I felt like I was with her, especially at the ending. Well done!!


Hugs,
Magdelena

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

502 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2009

Author

Chellie
Chellie

CA



About
I am a writer of many genres and styles. I love poetry, short stories, and novels. If I had it my way I would spend my days sunning in the pool with a book in my hands. And at night writing till my he.. more..

Writing
In The Moment In The Moment

A Story by Chellie


All Of Me All Of Me

A Poem by Chellie


Crave Pt. 2 Crave Pt. 2

A Poem by Chellie