The Promise

The Promise

A Chapter by Ari and Sylph
"

Aeon and Conan seal a promise to the Elements through a marking.

"
Aeon's Perspective

"Why on earth would we need someone like you to help us?" Drake snapped.
"Because I am a vampire. I think I can help you."
"Yeah, well so what?!" Colton said. Figured he'd be the one to speak up.
"I feel that I owe it to you." Conan said, guilt in his words.
"What... you don't mean that you changed Bane?!?" I said, startled at my own discovery.
"I was the vampire who changed Bane. BUT LET ME EXPLAIN FIRST!" Conan added hastily just before I had to pry Drake and Colton off of him.
"Why did you help Bane?" I said as calmly as possible.
"I thought that I was going to save someone's life when I saw him. He was dead, I had the power to undo that, I figured I was doing people a favor. I didn't know that I was actually killing others by doing so. I followed his trail back here, and I asked the leader about him. After I found out, I felt that I owed it to you to at least help you kill him, if not by myself."
"But it's impossible to kill vampires." Colton insisted.
"Oh it is?" he said, contradicting Colton. "I, of all vampires, should know how to kill them."
I decided not to ask anything about that one.
"Guys, " I said, glancing at all of them, "We could use the help, and you all know it.
"But how are we supposed to trust him?! What if this is all just a front!" Drake demanded.
"I give you my word." Conan said solemnly.
"Let's see how true your word is." He challenged.
"So be it." Conan said. Silently, he pulled out a dull blade and ran it quickly across his palm. He wiped the blood off the blade and held his bleeding hand out to shake. Colton and mom weren't going to do it, and sure as heck we all knew Drake wouldn't, so I held out mine.
"Aeon." My mom said, as if she was concerned.
I ignored the comment, still offering my hand.
He clasped his hand around mine, and as soon as it did, our hands seemed to glow and it felt as if part of my hand was being melted off.
After a moment, he finally let go. There was a shape burnt into both of our
palms, the image of a heart with a key hole engraved in it.
"If I ever do you wrong, Aeon has the power to kill me." Conan said confidently.
"Oh, don't I feel special??" I said.
"Thank you for trusting me, Aeon."
"Dont dwell on it." I said, shoving my hand into my pocket, which kind of hurt.

I fought back the waves of the feeling I haven't had to experience since Val. I'm not going to leave my heart exposed for a while. At least not until it has healed up a little. It still hurt like a knife in the heart every time I saw him or heard his name.
I sat down on the backyard patio mulling this over when my sister interrupted my thoughts by snickering, "Conan likes you."
"What're you talking about?" I said, confused.
"Then you admit it." she laughed back.
"Then I admit Conan likes me?!? Zephyr, I don't know what you're talking about. Oh, so this is about the trusting him thing, isn't it?"
"Partly, but, no." she was grinning wickedly. "You admit you like him. Don't deny it, I can tell when you're lying."
"I never said such a thing." I sighed. "What about you and Val?" I demanded.
She blushed slightly.
"Well, I'm not going to lie!" she shouted embarassedly.
I grinned smugly back.
"Look, Zeph, I don't know what I want to think about him. I'm still recovering from Val." I said, glancing down at my hand with the newly aquired scar.
"Oh, you're fine." she said, evidently thinking of her problems -- which, I admit, may have one up on mine.
"Whatever. I'm not going to be the first one to show it this time."I huffed.
"Show what?" Conan asked from behind us.
Gasp.
Zephyr laughed at me.
"How lone have you been standing there?" I asked, blushing.
"I never actually went anywhere." he said with a grin. "I was standing outside the door."
"Okay, let me rephrase that. How much of that did you hear?"
"Uhm..." he said, stepping out of the door frame, "Why else would I be standing outside the door?"
"Agh! FAIL!" I facepalmed.
"I did show first." he grinned. "The... little... lock thing..." he started, "My lock got all screwed up. It's...well, not a lock."
He lifted both his hands. I saw one palm had a lock, the other with a heart.
The one with the heart was the one I had grabbed.
"Why do you have two of them?" Zephyr asked.
"I'll explain later. I didn't expect it to blow out into the open like that. I mean, I only met you a week or two ago..."
"I'll go talk to Val." Zephyr said quickly, running inside.

"Alright, Blackwood, cards on the table." I said seriously.
"What?" he said, startled.
"It takes a lot longer than a week or two to get to know me, let alone get along with me. As much as I trust you, this sounds like the scam that Bane pulled on Zephyr."
"Aeon, look at me. Do you think I'd really do that to you guys?"
"I don't hardly know you. How could you really, truly act like we're old friends already?"
"When mortals are changed to vampires, their strongest qualities are strengthened. I can... Well, sometimes I can tell a person's character just by looking into their eyes. I knew right off that your coven was trustworthy."
I was about to tell them that we weren't quite a coven, but then after I thought about it, it seemed just about right.
"If that's true, then what happened with Bane?" I said.
"Notice I said sometimes. It comes in time waves. Sometimes I can control it for a month, then, it'll be gone without a trace for an entire year."
I cocked an eyebrow.
"You don't beleive me." he stated. " I figured you'd be a 'show me' kind of person. Alright." he took hold of my newly branded hand. As he did so, it felt like a literal tidal wave of emotions pulled me under. I could actually feel someone else's thoughts and emotions.
I was startled by the truth in his words. He truly did care that much for us --and me-- already.
"Conan." I whispered. He let go and pulled his gloves back on.
"Sorry, Aeon. Didn't think it'd be that intense." he said sheepishly.
"Before I beleive you, you need to promise me something."
"Anything."
"Don't die." my voice cracked. I didn't see that one coming.
"Aeon." he chuckled, "I've already gone and done that. I'm only gonna die if I tick you off enough for you to kill me yourself."
"Promise me."
"I promise."
"Alright." I said, settling back into the hammock.




© 2010 Ari and Sylph


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wait... what are we going to do with Val?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
1 Review
Added on August 3, 2010
Last Updated on August 5, 2010


Author

Ari and Sylph
Ari and Sylph

not gonna tell ya!! ^_^



About
Ari: First of all, my name is pronounced Ah-ree. I'm a poet, an artist(mainly manga) a composer and my favorite type of writing is fantasy. Being a famous writer has been my dream ever since I could.. more..

Writing
Ryde Ryde

A Book by Ari and Sylph