No One CARES Where You Are,  Don't Walk Around Alone At Night

No One CARES Where You Are, Don't Walk Around Alone At Night

A Chapter by Ari and Sylph
"

Kaydra got herself kidnapped. EPIC FAIL. (By Sylph)

"

Kaydra's Perspective

I should really stop walking around on my own. You'd generally figure you were safe in a well fortified castle chock-full of vampires who would protect you if they could -- especially when I happen to be as good or better at fighting than the rest of us vampires -- but NO...

I decided to take a stroll through the Hyperion's Castle courtyard at midnight because I couldn't sleep. And somebody jumped off a wall, knocked me out, and kidnapped me. Brilliant.

So, here I am, with a killer headache, stuck in a padded cell with one light fixture -- a bubble on the ceiling -- in strange clothing and immense amounts of jewelry. Not to mention I was chained to the wall.

"Ah, our prize has awaken" said a really cocky man as he walked into my cell through a door I hadn't seen before. Silent, I stared warily -- like the feral dog I really am.

Slowly, triumphantly, he walked toward me. He grabbed my face and examined it like an exited costumer who had just bought a new horse.

"She is a lovely one, just like the Dark Lord said." He laughed and stood back. Ha! The coward can't even say his master's name. "I'm glad we got a girl. I'm sure they'll pay a pretty penny for their pretty puppy." Despite my doubts, I remained silent. "Or, of course, someone will." He held my chin mockingly, once more. "How do you feel about being sold?" at my poker face, he let go.

As soon as I could, I snapped at his hand -- snake-like with my new vampiric speed. Sadly, he was fast enough to evade.

"You [danged] vixen!" he shouted, at least getting the animal right, unlike most. "I would cut your tail off were I allowed to sell damaged goods." he slapped me hard enough that I was seeing stars. "That'll show them all what a disobedient pet you are."

I resisted the urge to tell him that a giant bruise is generally considered damage. And to tell him what I thought of being called his pet.

He left in a huff.

Lanfen, can you hear me? I felt her awaken begrudgingly. When she realized my situation, however, she was suddenly alert.

How did this happen? she was panicked. I could faintly hear Grimloch's chorused "What is it?" before he pushed into the conversation. I skimmed through my memories in picture form for them. Exasperated, Grimloch drug Tao in.

What are you doing at this very unholy early hour? He griped. Do you realize what time it is?

No. I snapped, already feeling guilty for it, there's no clock in here. I sent a picture of the cell-along with my headache.

The dragons were nervously silent while Tao was stunned. "Radio silence", you could say.

What are you planning? He was suddenly very awake. I could sense when he sat up.

He said he "can't sell damaged goods." I don't understand what that means-my headache is a bit of an obstacle-but I think that may be important.

Tao attepmted to hide it, but I sensed him swearing under his breath. (Language, Tao!) Blood Merchant! I thought he was a myth! Kaydra, we have to get you out of there. Fast. He kidnaps and sells people to Arasmus.

Cold dread displaced my blood. I thought through the man's words for them rapidly. Suddenly urgent, Tao asked, Can you get out of the shackles?

I shifted to fox form and slid out, then shifted back to human. Too easily. One of the chokers strapped around my neck let off a charge.

It wasn't as bad, but electricity still shorted me out. When my mind began working again, I felt Tao's sympathy and the dragons' unease.

Suddenly, I had a brilliant idea-possibly.

Would it be possible to convince him to sell me to you? I sent, wierded out already.

Tao was ponderously silent.

If we could convince him I was bad enough, and had enough money, I would bet so. he seemed excited. Elves like Ari and Alex would be a dead giveaway with the ears during negotiations, so they could only be backup, or hooded followers, but we could do this. Arasmus' army all know where it is, so it wouldn't seem too odd if we masqueraded for negotiations. His excitement cut short after a moment of realization. But what if they have passwords and such? We would get there only to find we were stuck outside- or worse, they'd take us, too.

Couldn't Ari read their minds to find out what they're looking for? I can tell it's people that take the passwords, but I'm too far away to read their minds.

Grimloch dragged in Charlotte and Andromed, who got Ari and Alex. Lanfen briefed them while Tao and I collaborated somewhat separately on the plan. Currently, he was a bit conspicuous, being albino, so he ran down the hall and asked his mom if she had anything that could make his hair black. Evelyn was very confused, so Tao explained what had happened. She not only figured out how to change Tao's hair color(magic makeup- gotta love it.), he had a charm that could kick start Ari, Alex and Tao's vampiric side without turning off their self control. Their eyes would be red and Tao's hair would be black -- just like his old portrait. He was not impressed, but his parents were. After everyone was renewed of their vampiric side, Alex and Ari were searching for hooded robes -harder than you'd expect in the Hyperion's castle- and somewhat frantic. My calm (though still unhappy) air seemed to calm them down.

I don't think I will ever get used to the mindlink we've got. Mind reading is one thing, but all of us in a mental chatroom as they ran from room to room...

Kaydra, what are you doing? Tao asked, making fun of my random topic switch.

You couldn't have been kidnapped to somewhere a bit more useful, could you? Lanfen grumbled. I mean, the mountains are really pretty, but there's no real reason to go there unless we're picking you up or enjoying the view. Couldn't you have been taken to the market, or maybe some obscure hunting ground?

Well, mountains is news to me. I responded.

The collar went off again. Alex and Ari were still alarmed, even after having been told about the shock collar.

That thing has got some serious voltage! Alex muttered, still recovering from my accidental message of the shock. You'd better get that thing off before the glow sets in.

Oh, it won't matter if she glows. It'll be news to them, but, hey, it was bound to happen eventually. Tao said. He was putting black makeup in his hair, with the help of an amused Evelyn. I just need to be able to pass as Eddie. He's more likely to be picking you up than just about anyone, since it would mess with your head.

Through Tao, I heard Evelyn say "Here. Look." with an overly chipper voice. He looked up and we all jumped at the uncanny resemblance to his twin. We watched as his reflection slowly lowered his hands from his hair. The gentle curl that had been masked by static was suddenly prominent.

Now that's just scary. Ari said, pulling on the robe (after realizing how ridiculous it looks to stare off into nothing.)

You forget Alex said, having recovered and straightened his robe, they're twins. They may be night and day, but... well, actually, that's a really good comparison for them. Alex laughed.

The stupid shock collar went off again. As soon as possible, I worked my thumb under the collar and cut the wire to the battery with my nail(nevermind I cut myself in the process...) I pressed the ends of the wire as far apart as possible.

Can we go now? Lanfen was anxious as I was -- I can't imagine why -- and she was impatiently working the gate open.

On it. Alex ran to the dragon stables and unbarred the gates. The dragons surged out.

You dragons will need to stay out of sight once we get there. Ari warned.

Why don't we play it safe and make that all the way? Alex suggested.

Makes sense to me. Grimloch replied, stretching out his wings in anticipation of the flight ahead.

I hate waiting.

theyresoslowsoslowsoslowsofrickinslow


The stupid merchant's hand flew up, and before we could do anything about it, tightened around the hood of Ari's cape, threatening to tear the hood off her head.

"How do we know you are a trustworthy customer." the merchant hissed, "How do we know your hooded friends are what you say they are?

At that moment, Alex growled, his eyes still a deep, blood red, his fangs glinting from the single light in the entire building.

Ari 's eyes gleamed like a cat's in the light, also blood red, baring her fangs, -- which, might I point out, were only inches away from the man's hand -- threatening to attack.

"Do not underestimate the darkness that is among you." Tao said in a low voice, mimicking Eddie's so well that if I hadn't known better, I would've thought he was Eddie.

"I assure you that my servants are quite vampiric. But, I'm sure I could prove that, which, I am sure that you, being as human as you are, wouldn't desire. If I snap my fingers," he continued, "we could easily take your life and take your merchandise with us."

The merchant's fingers released Ari's hood, which were so close to discovering we weren't quite what we claimed we were. He cringed ever so slightly, and nodded.

Tao dropped the pouch of gold into the man's hand, muttering, "Long live the Darkness."




© 2010 Ari and Sylph


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

456 Views
Added on August 5, 2010
Last Updated on August 6, 2010


Author

Ari and Sylph
Ari and Sylph

not gonna tell ya!! ^_^



About
Ari: First of all, my name is pronounced Ah-ree. I'm a poet, an artist(mainly manga) a composer and my favorite type of writing is fantasy. Being a famous writer has been my dream ever since I could.. more..

Writing
Ryde Ryde

A Book by Ari and Sylph