The most interesting man in the world

The most interesting man in the world

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

By Blake Stilwell This is only part of the artical: Ernest Hemingway was almost impossible to kill, Man what a life.

"
Ernest Hemingway was almost impossible to kill

If there ever was a candidate for history's real "Most Interesting Man In the World," the frontrunner for the title would have to be famed writer, boxer, veteran, and adventurer Ernest Hemingway. He drove an ambulance in World War I, covered the Spanish Civil War, hunted Nazi submarines in the Pacific, gave relationship advice to F. Scott Fitzgerald, and even drank with Castro after the 1959 Cuban Revolution.

That brief paragraph barely scratches the surface of the man's epic life. But truthfully, Hemingway should have died many, many times during his epic journey. In the end, he was the only one who could have ever ended such a life. The Grim Reaper was probably afraid to come around.

As the man himself once said, "Death is like an old w***e in a bar. I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her."

Hemingway on crutches in World War I.

While driving an ambulance on the Italian Front of the Great War, Hemingway was hit by an Austrian shell while handing out chocolate. The blast knocked him out cold and buried him in the ground nearby. He was peppered from head to toe by shrapnel while two Italian soldiers next to him were killed almost instantly.
Throughout his life, Hemingway was struck down hard by things like anthrax, malaria, pneumonia, dysentery, skin cancer, hepatitis, anemia, diabetes, high blood pressure, and mental illness. Even so, he hunted big game in Africa while suffering from malaria, and even boxed the locals.
The original Big Papa was a fan of fisticuffs. He took any and every opportunity to accept challenges to his boxing prowess, fighting the aforementioned African locals, Caribbean friends, and even contemporary authors who besmirched his good name. If anyone challenged his manhood, they could count on a physical challenge of their own.
Hemingway enjoyed a good cocktail or three. An entire book has been published with just the cocktails Hemingway enjoyed the most. His favorite was a double frozen blended daiquiri from his favorite bar in Havana, the Floridita. On one occasion, he and a friend drank 17 of the double-strength concoctions. Eventually, he had to stop drinking to mitigate liver damage. No kidding.
Hemingway was writing in Madrid when Spain was devastated by Fascist bombers and was in London when the Luftwaffe bombed that city. He was covering the D-Day landings of World War II, coming onto the beaches with the seventh wave and then moving inland through hedgerow country, moving with the Army through the Battle of the Bulge �" all while suffering from pneumonia. All this after hunting Nazi submarines off of Cuba.

He even formed French Resistance members into a militia and helped capture Paris

While on vacation in Africa, Hemingway and company were nearly killed in a plane crash. On their way to Uganda to receive medical care, their plane exploded upon takeoff. The resulting concussion caused him to leak cerebral fluid, and he suffered from two cracked discs, a kidney and liver rupture, a dislocated shoulder, and a broken skull. He still went on a planned fishing trip... where a brushfire burned his legs, front torso, lips, left hand, and right forearm.

He responded by getting up and winning a Nobel Prize.


© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, my ego made me click on this, just in case being an exercise avoiding layabout sloth had come back into fashion and it was about me.... But what a guy. They sure don't make them like they used to.
Like Douglas Bader having to cut his own leg off and then apoligising for the state of his landing, they are the epitome of selflessness that we could do well to try to be more like. Like the golden age of cinema stars and how the current crop of talentless egotistical divas, with the exception of Rami Malek and maybe three others.
When men were men and just got s**t done, instead of having a team of "help" to wipe their asses for them.
I salute him, and you for this love filled education into the man.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I stumbled upon this article Blake Stilwell weote and I was delighted to learn somethings about th.. read more



Reviews

Damn Hemingway had it going on, I didn't know half of that stuff. A toast to a great man

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I know, he was that indeed.
Great share! You do so much to expand the horizons of other writers at the cafe & I really admire that (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

:) I think we should all give little snippets on author's we like and read.
Not many like Hemingway going around anymore.
The last of the great adventurers.
These days, 20 likes on facebook make you a superstar.
If Hemingway was around today, he'd be locked up for upsetting the namby-pamby lot we have in society now.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

He would at that I'm pretty sure he'd be banned from Facebook.
Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Definitely. lol
What a great little tribute to a big man... there are a lot of Hemingway fans here at the cafe... Johnnie C and me being among them... you crammed so many facts in such a small space, I am in awe... I thought I knew quite a lot about the guy but this page has been an eye opener for sure.... Oh' I got a photo of me behind his typewriter in Havana and have sat in his fave chair at that very same bar.... thanks for this Cherrie, tis super... N :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Neville

5 Years Ago

am gonna have to do summat about my eyes x
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Lol or like me just be surprised when you bring raspberry jam with jalapenos home.
Neville

5 Years Ago

yummy my fave combo :)
You honored the great writer. For 8 months now. I been reading Hemingway and Salinger. Salinger befriended Hemingway in Germany. They talks often. Hemingway couldn't save Salinger. Wonderful words for Hemingway. He lived, didn't wait for death.
Coyote


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I just finished Death in the Afternoon. It is another great example of a writer connecting on a pers.. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

It is amazing. I visit many Hemingway places he loved. My last place to visit is the coast of South .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I listened to an interview he did after his two plane crashes, and it was more than obvious he was .. read more
Well, my ego made me click on this, just in case being an exercise avoiding layabout sloth had come back into fashion and it was about me.... But what a guy. They sure don't make them like they used to.
Like Douglas Bader having to cut his own leg off and then apoligising for the state of his landing, they are the epitome of selflessness that we could do well to try to be more like. Like the golden age of cinema stars and how the current crop of talentless egotistical divas, with the exception of Rami Malek and maybe three others.
When men were men and just got s**t done, instead of having a team of "help" to wipe their asses for them.
I salute him, and you for this love filled education into the man.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I stumbled upon this article Blake Stilwell weote and I was delighted to learn somethings about th.. read more
I had no idea how much knowledge I was missing out on this guy, thanks for making history fun and exciting once more.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Me either I knew some of this but not the depth of Hemingway's experiences. I glad you enjoyed Mr. S.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2019
Last Updated on February 27, 2019
Tags: Hemingway

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


First love. First love.

A Poem by Beccy