Eggs and Sausage for two

Eggs and Sausage for two

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

just breakfast

"

 

At this very moment I am waiting for my cast iron skillet to finish baking. Breakfast has been cooked, served, and consumed. The kitchen is cleaned, and I only have one task left, the skillet. Like my granny before me I now wait for my freshly washed well-seasoned skillet to dry in a 5-minute bake (no moisture means no rust, I’ll tell you some other time how to get rid of the rust). Any way I digress, back to breakfast. 


Breakfast for two.  

Enough sausage for two patties, 1/3 white onion (sweet if in season), 3 eggs (hot from the barn if you can get them) shredded cheese1/4 cup (surprise me) a dab of that will go in the egg mixture, about the size of an egg, 2 tablespoons of butter (butter, ditch the fake stuff) 2 slices of bread.

 Now, bear with me as I may get too technical, and use terms like dab. 🙂 


( mini tip  before we start if while cooking the sausage your food sticks to the skillet splash a teaspoon of water on the area, it will steam right up then use the spatula to loosen it and take it out of the pan. Also when your done cooking do the same it will steam up any food residue from the surface and you will never have to scrub a pan again)


P.S this only works if the skillet is hot :)


My skillet is just a little bigger than a dinner plate (size matters if your skillet is to big the egg will cook up thin like crepe). 


Let your skillet heat-up (medium heat), chop your onion fine. 

Place the onion and raw sausage in the skillet together, keep breaking your sausage apart until it is cooked and crumbled. Once cooked put that in a dish for now.



 Your skillet is now seasoned in a wonderful onion glaze. (side note by adding garlic to your onion you can make wonderful garlic bread) If your sausage is lean the mixture will be just right. However, if you have standing grease drain it off (not down the drain, I'm old school and save sausage and bacon grease for gravy). 


Turn the heat up a little more, put a little of the butter in the skillet once it melts swipe your bread in the melted butter. Leave the bread in the skillet while you mix-up your eggs. 


Get a little bowl break all 3 eggs into the bowl and add the cheese. Mix them together till smooth and one color.  


Turn your heat up a little more (we want a nice hot skillet for the eggs). Turn the bread over so both sides are golden brown ( throw your toasters away, uck).


Set the toast aside, and put half of your butter down. Once it’s melted tilt the skillet so the whole skillet is covered in butter. Give your egg a quick stir so the cheese is mixed in and fairly-even throughout. Pour the eggs in.  


Take a minute and clean-up, get your dishes down, jelly out ( we are on an orange marmalade kick) 


Your egg should look cooked on the edges, take your spatula and test the edges to see if it’s stuck anywhere. If it is, take the rest of your butter use a fork and swipe the edges of the skillet (running it along the edge of the egg). Now, just flip it over, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper (when cooking your egg this way you will not need a lot of seasoning). 


Take your sausage and place  it on one side put the cheese on top and fold the egg into a half moon. Cut it in half place it on your two dishes. Turn the heat off. Now put the toast back in the skillet to warm back up while you get drinks. Add the toast to your breakfast, and wa-la. :) 

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
this is the 3rd time I forgot to add this note:
It is really good to put a little chilled pico de gallo on top

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

To be honest, I have never cooked breakfast in my life! I love breakfast, but I hardly ever eat it. This is a great bit of enjoyment becuz you obviously love cooking & teaching about cooking. You share great tips & I love the opening about caring for the cast-iron pan, which is a kitchen essential for me in two sizes. This feels as enjoyable as if I were to describe kneading & baking yeast bread from scratch (no machine!) . . . something I do regularly. You convey a smorgasbord of details that plant all the sensory deliciousness in our minds! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I would love to see your bread making tutorial.
My grandma baked bread every Saturday and I .. read more
My, look at all the foodies rushing to the table... Cherrie, I don't think 3 eggs is gonna be enough. and absolutely to the pico.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Yes, about the pico. I use to be a salsa fan (hate ketchup) but ever since I discovered pico de gall.. read more
Works out well... Cast Iron does wonders.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

yes, I guess I'm a old school cook. I want to follow a recipe but I break out in a cold sweat, and b.. read more
Chris

4 Years Ago

THAT is what makes us "Cooks" and not Chefs ...chuckling here.
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

that works for me :)
Sitting on the couch reading this and my stomach is now rumbling...lol. Very well laid out, but I fear I missed my breakfast invitation so I may be a little late. How about lunch?? Great job girl!!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Well there's always tomorrow.
Okay, what's a skillet.
Got all of this food in my mind now.
It's definitely better when someone cooks for you, you appreciate it more.
Who needs fancy dishes at extortionate prices when you can have sausage and egg, brown sauce for the kick.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I agree food does have a more flavorful taste when cooked by ones own hands.
In the past I .. read more
Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Going out is the new staying in.
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Yes young adults these days don't know how to do things. Everything is premaid or drive thru.
what a great way to cook breakfast using the reliable skillet... cooking and baking are considered to be works of a patient person and when you do it out of love it is the most delicious breakfast served

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much Sette. I appreciate you coming by. :)
You got me salivating that much I just slipped off me stool ... might just print this page off and give it a try Cherrie if you dont mind chuck .... N :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

have at it, it's always good
Neville

4 Years Ago

printing now ... x
Sounds yummy! I've had tasty Western breakfast which were yummy!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


NotUsinganymore

4 Years Ago

Nice! c: I like wasabi!
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

yes, that'll wake ya up in the morning.
NotUsinganymore

4 Years Ago

I eat it for lunch usually with Japanese food.
cherrie... best cooked on an old wood stove with the warmer on top.
Yes, warm eggs from the hen house are best. It takes a foxy lady to cook
a breakfast like you describe. Your tips for a wrought iron skillet are
par for the course and one I did not realize. Breakfast time is a
Rooster's c**k a doodle line.... Toast with butter and orange marmalade.
truly a winner for a Blue Ribbon. Pat

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

My grandpa Malone had a wood cook stove. Their house was 80 degrees all year.
They also had .. read more
Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

Hi Cherrie... now we need to be Cool in summer and Warmer in winter. With climate change and pollut.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

for sure :)
Did you know that most men will eat breakfast foods for every meal?--indefinitely.
Mouth-watering post, Cherrie of the Palmer Clan!



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

That sounds like it could be an interesting study.

We like breakfast for a evening .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

455 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 21, 2019
Last Updated on April 22, 2019
Tags: breakfast

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Patterns Patterns

A Poem by Beccy


Dying  is an art Dying is an art

A Poem by Gee