The Searcher

The Searcher

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

a observation

"
This Spring, a unique thing occurred; I had been watching it unfold over several weeks. The center of our home is a giant A-frame. The house is full of windows and light. Each window has a film strip on it that filters the summer sun, also it reflects the surrounding nature like a mirror. 

A female blue bunting (who isn’t blue at all) had been teaching her little fledgling. The small bird was learning the mother’s daily routine. Because of the mirror effect the windows have many a bird has bounced off the house.  

My heeler, Cowboy, has appeared in many of my stories, today, however, he is the antagonist. This thirteen-year-old dog is now retired from the cattle business, just as we are. We traded our cattle prod for a fishing net and binoculars.  For the most part, our four-legged family member lives in the house. However, today he was lounging under the sun of a fine day in early May, napping by the sliding patio doors. I was typing on the loveseat (like I do so much of the time). I had a front row seat to the offense. The poor mother made the mistake of hitting said glass with a mighty thud. I am sad to report she became a happy meal for Cowboy.

Here is where the interesting thing occurred. It all happened so fast that to the baby bird, it looked like the mother flew into a thick green forest and disappeared. The baby bounced off the window as well, a couple of times. Not wanting Cowboy to get in line for seconds I made him come in.
For three full days, the baby spent from dawn to dusk testing the window for a place to fly through. She systematically tested the reflection. I worried she would die of hunger, her determination to find the entry point of her mother was unwavering. All around her were other little birds eating the seed we had tossed out. She paid them no attention, as she scouted for a path.

On day four, we had a huge thunderstorm; the rain system lasted several days.  I was happy thinking the silly little bird’s habit had been broken by the weather. The first day of sunshine came, and there was no little bird. The noonday sun filled the sky. It seemed I could see the grass grew as I watched out my window, and still the little female bunting was nowhere to be seen.

  I had moved into the kitchen to fillet up some fish. I was dragging them through the egg-wash and dusting them in a coating, when I heard a small, steady pecking noise, peering around the corner, there was that silly little bird. She was standing on the bricks pecking at her reflection. She was back and still trying to make contact. She comes to our patio some part of every day to peck at the forest of mirrors. Each day it seems she stays a little less, but she does visit every day looking for a way to reach her mother.

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A sad tale about the cruel twists nature visits upon her flock told in a detailed, well observed little tale which was also quite sweet as the baby bird explored a world she did not comprehend but she survived thus far!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I was shocked that she survived the first week.
She still comes to the window.
a thoughtful little memoir on nature

you seem to be an active observer

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you, because at heart I'm a storyteller I think I take a more active role in the whys and hows.. read more
Being a wilderness rat myself, I do not get too twisted over the natural tragedies that nature serves up. You present the entire sequence of events in a matter-of-fact way that shows no upset or worry. Just a simple series of interesting observations showing how nature & man-made stuff touch each other's lives. I've had some reviewers mention that some of my everyday details don't seem to be necessary to the storyline, but to me, these everyday details are what make a story. This one & all your snippets & stories have brilliantly-observed details about everyday life in natural settings (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I agree with you learning to capture small moments teach me how to give depth of life to longer stor.. read more
Isn't nature great. Do you think the mother got killed, or is it just the case, you're old enough now get on with it. We've got a couple of Magpies here who are attacking and killing all sorts of birds. Used to think they were nice birds as well. Should borrow Cowboy to sort them out.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

He'd be glad to help, but beware, he's a squirrel hater too
Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Well, we're trying to get rid of the grey squirrel.

I'm smiling here but find your most recent observational post just a little sad, but it is of course, the way it happens.... I certainly like the new style of narrative that is different to a lot of your earlier writes and seems to include the reader..... maybe check and add an 'a' after on and before brick in the concluding para..... Neville :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Neville

4 Years Ago

I believe that too :)
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Some how I lost the word 'glad'. It should have said I'm glad..
Neville

4 Years Ago

am glad you found it...and sent it on.. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2019
Last Updated on July 15, 2019
Tags: nature_bird_search

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dying  is an art Dying is an art

A Poem by Gee