The Delivery

The Delivery

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

Jamie realized he needed to make the necessary stop to Jasper street himself. He thought the world of Captain Ted Spears, but he didn’t want Internal Affairs to be the first contact Nick and Martha Matthews had regarding their only son, Pete. The long night had lost its luster, and first light rested on the city’s skyline, cutting the velvety canvas to a paling lavender. As Jamie rounded the corner, he regretted not asking Father Thomas to ride with him on this stop.

 

 Jamie’s heart sank when the visual of the Matthews’ house revealed all the lights were on. Even the porch light declared, ‘we’re waiting for you.’ Three cars were packed in the small driveway, with a fourth parked on the curb of the sidewalk. Jamie grabbed hold of his radio and marked his location with Central. Then he wrote the date and time in his logbook. A Tall elderly man opened the front door and waited on Jamie. The man stood rigid. His messy hair and hard expression told Jamie the party-line had broken the sound barrier and beat him there.

 

 

 

“As you’ve guessed, we’ve already received the news. So, tell me, what have you come to add to our sorrows,” the elderly man said?

 

 

 

Jamie drew in a deep breath, searching for wisdom. “There’s no good way to handle this kind of thing. I can only say how sorry I am,” Jamie extended his hand, “I’m Corporal O’Keefe.”

 

 

 

The two men shook hands, “I’m Joseph Matthews, Pete’s grandfather.”

 

 

 

“What have you all been told?”

 

 

 

“Not much, only that Ed’s been shot, and T.J. and Pete are gone.” Deep brown eyes searched Jamie’s for denial, but there was none to be found. Jamie held his gaze determined not to look away. Joseph’s tears defied gravity as they clung to those sad brown eyes. 

 

 

 

“Yes, sir, that’s the short of it. I was there when it happened. I believe T.J. shot Pete, who in turn Shot Ed, and, um, well, I killed T.J.”

 

 

 

Joseph pulled the front door closed. “That’s what we heard. You should know Nick tore out of here like a wild man. That’s what our Martha told us. Ed’s no good, he never has been,” Joseph dropped his gaze down to his feet, “just no good,” Joseph looked back into Jamie’s eyes. “Corporal, I don’t want to lose all three of them tonight. Nick’ll kill Ed if he finds him tonight, and as sure as I’m standing here some judge will hang him for it,” Joseph looked over his shoulder inside the house, then back at Jamie, “there’s nothing for you to do in there. Please find Nick before he does something, he can’t take back.”

 

 

 

Jamie nodded, “what’s he driving?”

 

 

 

“A dark green Buick Road Master.”

 

 

 

“Is he armed?”

 

 

 

“We’re not sure, but what do you think?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 “I understand. Look let me know if they need anything, this is going to get worse before it gets any better. Just so you know I.A. is involved. Captain Spears will be by later,” Jamie, turned to leave, “Mr. Matthews, I am sorry.”

 

 

 

Jamie wasn’t ready to place a B.O.L.O. on Nick. Jamie searched the area, Ed’s House, Nick’s work, and the hospital. Finally, somewhere around 9a.m., he walked into the office to give the chief an update. Jamie’s long stride and set chin held those he passed in silence. As he entered the office, the chief waited behind his desk, with the Captain sitting in the corner. Jamie gave no greeting. He just walked into the room, closing the door as he entered.

 

 

 

Chief Fortner’s voice boomed as he spoke, “Well let’s have it,” Is all the ‘bull room’ could hear before the door closed firmly.  

 

 

 

Forty-five minutes later, a soft knock rattled the door, and the chief’s assistant stuck her head in. Her blue shined. Marsha was the perfect trifecta, efficient, loyal, and professional. She graduated from the police academy at the top of her class during a time when the force was predominately male. “I’m sorry, sir, but this just came special delivery for officer O’Keefe.” Her black heels clicked across the floor as she walked to Jamie, handing him a shoebox-size package. All three men stared at her curiosity, plastered all over their faces. Marsha had moved here from down south and her southern drawl, and lean frame held their gaze. “The carrier told me he received the package from Nick Matthews and to find you Corporal and to give it to you, and no one else.”




© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
still working on it

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

damn Cherrie this is packed with strong conveyance in the description very natural and contextual in its flow so very well crafted in its voice, I see the wisdom in the practise of your poetry for it has made for great story writing the way you can put a feel into a story dialogue is really superb! I have been recently experiencing this in Margies story work too it is great to be able to peek into this process from both of you:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you, Robert.
I like the poetic blend of words into a story. Of course I also like the.. read more



Reviews

His messy hair and hard expression told Jamie the party-line had broken the sound barrier and (bet) him there.

I think you meant the (beat)

Hey felt it was awesome chapter and glad I took the time to read and come back to see what you have been working on. love the detail and the realness of the story please let me know when you have more for me to read your friend Shep. Please be kind and return the love.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

You are thr best, thank you for the help
And I will let you know when I add the next instal.. read more
All good here . . . and the part I felt was the most well-done is the middle section where dialogue is about what went down . . . this is realistic & balanced, as far as not being too dramatic yet not being too brusque. I also love the opening because it feels heartfelt (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

:) I know this type of story is not your favorite, and your a brave soul to stick with it.
I.. read more
intrigue is set ... the immersive technique (i just learned what that is) is explosive ... my first impression is that there are a lot of characters thrown at me at once .. but sorting them out is part of the fun after all :) i was guessing whether Armed Services of Police ... kept me going .. the mention of party line dates this back in the 40s and 50s unless it has come to mean something else these days .. i don't think i will ever be accused of "keeping up with the times" :]
i personally love the genre ... murder .. intrigue ... who donnits ... this however is a why at this point ... i could use more detail in the setting and scene (city...big..small? neighborhood?? what does the house look like .. maybe what Jamie takes in as he approaches ... please forgive me ignorance .. what is I.A. ?? Internal Affairs??? and why would they be the ones??? obviously your story has hooked and sunk me .. i'm in ... breathless for your next addition :))
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

My grandparent's had a partyline till i was twelve. She shared the phone with 4 different people. .. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

yes...do stay off the roads if you can .. my kids and my sis are all up North and hunkering down ..:.. read more
Cherry... these things happen for real... and
you have left me in a trance... a "page turner",
however, I ran out of pages. Be checking in with you.
truly, Pat

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

:) I didn't see your visit. thank you Pat I hope to add to it today.
damn Cherrie this is packed with strong conveyance in the description very natural and contextual in its flow so very well crafted in its voice, I see the wisdom in the practise of your poetry for it has made for great story writing the way you can put a feel into a story dialogue is really superb! I have been recently experiencing this in Margies story work too it is great to be able to peek into this process from both of you:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you, Robert.
I like the poetic blend of words into a story. Of course I also like the.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 9, 2020
Last Updated on August 29, 2020


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic