If Only I Could

If Only I Could

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

Jamie stood to leave, and Fern handed him his coat. He laced his fingers over hers. “I’m on a manhunt, Fern; I may not get to see you for a few days, but you can believe this you will be on my radar, and just as soon,  as I can, we are going to dinner.” Jamie’s smile widened as he watched her cheeks take color. Neither of them moved, but this stirring gaze held them firm.
Finally, Fern spoke.  “About that, I don’t know if this matters, but I heard those men talk about ‘some trouble.’ Like it was a thing or maybe even a place.”
“Maybe. I’ll check into it.”
 “One more thing, I’ve got something for you,” she retrieved her hand from his, and with the connection broke, Jamie slipped on his coat, “I think it will help. I made you a sketch of the man I saw killed in the park.”
Fern handed him a sketch containing Big Ed Matthews, T.J., and Tony Salazar. That moment in the park where Tony lost his life set to canvas. The sketch possessed the illusion of motion. This three-man triangle started with Tony falling backward. T. J.’s sneer focused on the knife while Ed Matthews’ gaze leaped from the page capturing the onlooker’s focus. Jamie drew his head back. He had been caught off-guard by the odious look that jumped off the page.
“Oh my, this is good. Yes, this will help. The Chief will be blown away by this,” he smoothed back her hair behind her ear, “I’ll call you first chance I get and keep your head down, you’re still a threat to Ed.”

“I will.”
“and yet I found you in the park playing with the neighborhood kids.”
“Okay, point taken, I’ll be more careful.”
“That’s all I ask.”
Fern watched Jamie get in his car from her window, then she shot him a snarl. Jamie could only smile at her. He was certain she spied the squad car assigned to her corner.
______Nick and Ed in Some Trouble_________
‘Some Trouble,’ swayed in her slip. The slight motion of the boat stirred Ed’s senses churning his stomach. He thought how small his brother looked, slumped over his drink, and lost in sorrow. mumbling 'if only I could.'
 Ed’s throat burned from the anesthesia. His voice sounded weak and forced when he spoke, “It wasn’t me,” Ed said as he coughed, “I know that doesn’t matter. I want you to know. It wasn’t me… who...”
“Who, what? Killed my only son, is that what you wanted to tell me, Edward, ya B*****d?”

Ed’s eyes blurred as the depth of Nick’s hated struck him.  “Nicky,” but no more words would come. He watched Nick’s hand rest on the Colt as his other hand protested any further speech.  Ed closed both eyes and placed his head on the pillow, and waited.
“Just so you know where we stand, the police know you killed Tony,” Ed opened his eyes but didn’t speak. “Here’s how I see it; your own hand, the sea, or me,” Nick drained his glass, not that it mattered his left hand stood in the ready to top off the tumbler.
“Nicky, you’re no drinker, that won’t help.”
“Shut-up.” Again, he guzzled down his drink.


© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

the change of scene without transition threw me at first .. i want a bit more details .. like clothes, room, curtains etc. ... I see there is a previous chapter once more .. i am going backwards aren't i!? ;))) going to find the beginning and begin again :)))))))))))))))))))))) quite the plot!
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Eventually I will make into two separate chapters.
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

:) ....................
Great dialogue in this chp & the preceding chp. This dialogue is more balanced between your poetic way of writing & your police-personesque way of writing. Sometimes the crime scene investigation persona you write from can be very clipped & all business. These two chps, the dialogue feels like more of a blend between these two styles. I feel the characters more here, than when the investigative hat is worn . . . you fuse the storytelling of intrigue with the touchy-feely of being human & that's why I love these 2 chps (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I haven't figured out how to nlend them to one style. I promise there is just one of me( the voice.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2020
Last Updated on September 13, 2020


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing