Wicked Without Remorse

Wicked Without Remorse

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

 Day eight marked the calendar. Still, no word on Nick or Ed Matthews, and Jamie felt every second of it. The 'what if' game policemen play frayed his nerves even more than the not knowing. Fern and his parents were caring on like all was well, but all was not well. Not until Ed Matthews was behind bars, or in Hell, would this be complete. Jamie had made a list of things; Some Trouble might be. He kept coming back to a racehorse. He had checked the sports page each day looking for such a horse. As he sat in the night's silence, he scribbled down Some Trouble, over and over. In the middle of the page, the only other word written, FERN. He circled the girl's name and smiled, thinking, 'Hello Trouble.' Jamie's smile grew even wider as a collage of images danced in his mind.

 

A few years back, Jamie had dated a fiery druggist named Niki. They had dated for nearly two years. The soulful siren had flaming red hair, a real beauty with a funny side and charm, but he just couldn't see her in his life forever. So, he called it off. 


He had asked his father; how do you know when you meet the one? Marion's robust laughter filled his memory as he recalled how he slapped him on the back, "oh, you'll know." Is all he said and walked off. At the time, he wondered if it could be that simple.


Again he circled Fern's name. Finally, he knew the answer, and the truth was simple; Fern is the one. Like the North Star, he would chart his path by her. He loved this woman. "Crazy," he said, for he hardly knew her. A second thought crept in this mind returning him to more serious matters, was he good enough to keep her safe?

 

"Car 15," Central called.

 

"Go ahead," Jamie said.

 

"Car 15, report to the Harbor Master."

 

"of course," he muttered as he keyed the mic, "10-4 show me en-route."

 

"Car 15, 10-4, 0-1-28," and he placed the car in drive with the time marked.

 

Jamie hurried to his destination, knowing Some Trouble to be a boat. The thought had never crossed his mind. It made him angry for not seeing it before. He checked out on the call, then hurried inside, and in twenty minutes, he was on this way to the M.E.'s office to try and figure out who the two men were that a Troller just fished out of the bay.

 

A second storm had dropped a good amount of snow on the ground. Jamie's heavy foot had the squad car moving along at a fair clip. The right hand turn on to Fairfax made the vehicle cross over the groves made in the snow. The rear end came around to greet him. He removed his foot from the gas then drove into and then out of the spin. Jamie decided to slow up. The dead men would wait. He had a nagging feeling that neither body would be Big Ed Matthews, and his mind raced on wondering, who?

 

_______Ed finds the car____

 

Ed pulled the keys from his front pocket. As he held them in his hands, the memory of him taking them from Nick's body assaulted him, bile crept up his throat, and Hell burned in his belly. He grimaced as he thought of Nick's lifeless body. Logic told him by now, the family must be aware; that a missing Nickolas James Matthews meant death, just as he has been dead to them. Now they were, in fact, childless. Ed reached into his coat pocket for his flask. A pull of whiskey knocked down the indigestible memory, and he spied Nick's car parked by his boat slip.

 


He would feel no pity for the parents who kicked him out of the house all those years ago. Ed would not feel sorry for his parents, he was never good enough for them, and now their tears would not change the past or Ed's heart. What he does feel is hated for the girl who started the chain of events, and she will not live; he will see to that.

 

Nick's car rested undisturbed, completely encased in snow. It being the only vehicle in the parking lot made the deduction simple. So, he made a beeline for it, and the rest he would plan on the fly.

 

"Alright, here's what we'll do," he blurted out, then snarled at his mistake. He set his chin, then rolled his neck. Getting his mind back in the game. A game now played by two.

 


 

________________ cooking in the kitchen____________

 

Fern just couldn't stay asleep. Ever since she got the news that Nick Matthews lost his life, sleep wouldn't come. So, she cozied into her new slippers and made her way to the kitchen. Her pale pink flannel nightshirt and matching house shoes made her smile. Her mother had sent them to her for her birthday. 


A small light directed her to the stove. She heated up the water kettle, then in a tea mug she added, a tea bag, honey, lemon, and the magic elixir of the hot toddy, bourbon.

  

**


Ed parked the car on the corner and waited a minute, making sure the coast was clear. No mistakes would be made tonight. 


**


The gentle whistle of the tea kettle began to sing.

**


Night secured his intent; Ed pulled down his hat and pulled up his coat collar and exited the vehicle. He took a moment to smoke a cigarette to make sure no one was around.


**


Fern dangled the teabag in the cup, watching the color grow deeper. Once she was satisfied, she tossed the tea bag in the trash, not wanting to make a mess. Black tea and orange blossom honey mingled with the smoky bouquet of the elixir. She cradled the cup in both hands, enjoying the warmth and smelling the delightful aromas. She wished Edith could share the drink with her, seeing how it was Edith that introduced it to her.


**


Ed removed the toolset from his pocket to pick the lock of the outer door to the street entrance. He visualized kicking in that emerald green door that gave access to Fern's small apartment and shooting her while she slept. Ed shook his head no, not personal enough. "Not near enough," he whispered.


**


"Hmm, yummy," She took another sip of the tea and entertain the notion of bobbing her hair.


**


Ed picked the lock to the inner door. It whined softly as it creaked open, and he made entry.


**


Fern put down the teacup to return everything to the kitchen cupboard, then looked out the window overlooking the hillside, and thought of that terrible night.


**


Ed would strangle the life for this pint-size problem and delight in doing so. He walked to the bed, to find no one it, he turned around to give the room a quick glance. Ed could see a figure in the dark. "Girl, there's no help for you now."


**


Edith walked into her kitchen and smiled at the tiny lass that had stolen the hearts of her entire family. She was glad that Jamie made her stay with them tonight and wondered what was going on back at Fern's apartment.


**


"Really," said the deep voice of Jamie. Who had been waiting for Ed for hours. He rushed upon the intruder. The two men hit the floor. Soon a second officer rushed from the bathroom. Handcuffs were quickly secured, and Jamie keyed his mic. "Central, one in custody."


“10-4, Car 15, 0-3-45.”


"I really hate you, people," Ed said.


"Well, I have to say the feeling is mutual, and you have the right to remain silent..."



© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
!Maybe? not edited yet

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Argh! Didn't even realise to the very end that this is a chapter when I saw the previous chapter button, but what a story on its own. Even when reading I thought it was all action and so fast paced, but now understand was the culmination of a tale.
Will hit that previous chapter button and start from well, the start and come back here to fully comment after I get it right 😀

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I am so glad you liked this, I wanted this to hold the reader's attention but I didn't want a chase.. read more
Whoa... a spell-binding story... on the edge of
uncertainty. You have the "gift" Cherrie. My Mother's name
was Edith and I named my daughter "Edie". She loves her name.
So I have a familiar 'bookmark' for your Novel. tenderly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

You know, I always know the name of my character's as they join the story. I don't know how that wo.. read more
Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

May the Autumn winds speed your way to destiny. tenderly, Pat
Admittedly, I've not been following this story, but I was definitely fooled by the ending. This chapter showcases what you do best -- you modulate the pacing of a story all the time for all the right reasons. You really are a master of timing & pacing. I can't stand a story that's over-drawn-out but you put in little diversion to stretch it out just a teensy bit here & there, but for the most part, the storytelling is zooming along, aiming to satisfy the curiosity & yearning to find out that you've carefully cultivated in the reader! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I'm so glad you liked this, I wanted a big payday for this event, but didn't want a fight or chase... read more
ahahahaha ... i am so relieved for Fern .. you fooled me Cherrie! hook line and sinker .. but i am pretty sure ol' Ed may still be a problem yet .. yes .. tiny edits here and there .. but captivating story continues .. can't wait to read on!
E.
ps. I was in your hood to see me heart doc and thought of you .. and such an enjoyable lunch we had .. love and peace and joy .. great story for me!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

ps. I hope you do find the inspiration and energy to finish this one .. i feel invested in your char.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Ya know I wasn't sure if the tension was strong enough for his capture. But I think it works, I need.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

:) ..........................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 30, 2020
Last Updated on September 13, 2020


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Shell Shock Shell Shock

A Poem by R.E. Ray