Sleepy Whistle

Sleepy Whistle

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer

Sleepy whistle drifts away.


Now hear the clickity clack of the swaying train.


Meandering smoke trails behind,

 

as black on black outlines the night.

 

My bobbing head gives way to rest.

 

an icy pillow chills my head,

 

leaning on the window seat,

 

and the clickity clack consumes my dreams.


A baby’s cry redirects my sight, but weighted lids

 

reclaim the night.


Whispering lovers sweeten my rest

 

As the clickity clack of the rails do the rest.

Wheww! Wheww!

 


© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
yes or no to the hidden words?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The train chugs along, lulling one to sleep... This poem stands out for me as I loved traveling on trains as a kid and the plethora of things happening on board. I'd never tire of taking everything in and yes I slept like a log! Loved the clickity clack. Thank you for bringing back such sweet memories, Ms. Cherrie!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I missed your wonderful review and I'm sorry. Thank you so much for the review.



Reviews

The very solace and comfort one finds within the confines of traveling inside of trains. Something about the railroads gives off aestheticism. Yet looking out the windows you find rarity in the views passing you by at the speed of a bullet. Loved the line " an icy pillow chills my head, leaning on the window seat." The details are very on point of painting an image in the reader's mind. Enjoyable read I felt very nostalgic while reading your fine art. Keep writing sincerely your friend in poetry and life.



Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

thank you Andrew, I'm glad you enjoyed this simple little offering.
Still something great about trains.
You can have every possible scenario going on around you, your imagination can run wild with the faces, and you can just drift away into another world if you want to.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Yes, I agree. There is something magical about a train ride.
A wonderful poem shared dear Cherrie. I like the sound of trains and the noises of the night. Sort of create a strange peace. I liked your flow of thoughts leading to the proper ending. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry. I did like this one.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Thank you, I am a fan of train travel as well. :)
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

The trains are cool. Mean, we are escaping or going home. You are welcome dear Cherrie.
The train chugs along, lulling one to sleep... This poem stands out for me as I loved traveling on trains as a kid and the plethora of things happening on board. I'd never tire of taking everything in and yes I slept like a log! Loved the clickity clack. Thank you for bringing back such sweet memories, Ms. Cherrie!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I missed your wonderful review and I'm sorry. Thank you so much for the review.
By far my favorite way to travel. The sounds will put me to sleep in a heartbeat. Drifting off as a kid watching the whole world pass by. This brought back memories. Great job!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

In a world obsessed with speed the lazy trip on the tracks is always relaxing. I'm glad you enjoyed .. read more
Love the picture for this. This portrays one who loves to see the train pass late into the night despite the need for sleep. Many people love trains and will go out of their way to film them and gaze at the majesty of them as they pass. To let it lull you to sleep is a great way to doze off.

The hidden words reflect that state between being awake and asleep.

That baby's cry may allude to the lack of sleep.

Like this one.


Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I added the sound of the whistle, as the last line in shaded letters of grey.
Relic

3 Years Ago

Saw them. Nice touch. :)
Oh-YES, Cherrie 🎶

With clickity-clack music of the railroad track, you really took me back with this one. I can recall, as a wee lad, riding roundtrip on the steam locomotive-driven Southern Pacific Flyer, from Atlanta, across the Rockies, the Arizona desert, and Sierra Nevadas, to Sacramento, on a visit to see my aunt, uncle, and cousins.
Like it was yesterday, I can yet vividly recall the dining, top Scene-O-Rama, and pullman cars, and how it was sleeping soundly in the top pull down bed, with its private sliding curtain … very comfortable 'n cozy, indeed.
I know the trip took several days to and several back. It's an experience I think everyone should have.
Your poem is wonderfully composed, too, Cherrie, with vivid imagery, smoothly flowing lines throughout, excellent rhymes, and your final Rhyming Couplet tied it all up with a beautiful bow.

One of my very faves of yours … big hug of thanks, Sis! ⁓ Richard 🍃

PS: I know I'm thick, but what are "hidden words"?

Posted 3 Years Ago


Richard🖌

3 Years Ago

Ya got it!
Go see my new poem, "The T R A I N". 😏
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Oh I like it - You do know how to layer image and emotion into a wonderful journey.
Richard🖌

3 Years Ago

Thank you so, Cherrie. : )
oh those lulling clickity clacks. the train has a way of hypnotizing us into drifting sleep and memories. i don't ride trains very often, but when i do this is very much how i feel. thanks for taking me there. i wish all train rides were this pleasant in taking us to pleasant destinations both literally and figuratively ... :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

:) thank you, I agree with you train travel is very relaxing, an easy way to step back in time.
Carving thought in a beautiful phrases is what I like most about this poem. I got carried away with my experience too when journey becomes easy to pass when we our self keeps us busy with surrounding yet great picturesque plot in poem. Thanks for sharing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Thank you so very much :)
I really felt this
I used to do a three hour trip by train to see mum every weekend in the end and loved it
I love trains
Not when crowded though
I can relate to this
Well done xx

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I have never been on a crowded train. That would be intimidating. I watched a video about train'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

966 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 28, 2020
Last Updated on October 29, 2020

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..