The City Of Lights

The City Of Lights

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

 

--Sara Powers--


It takes thirty-minutes to check-in and get to the terminal gate. The 18-hour flight with two stops will be murder. The only good thing is the flight leaves at 8:00 P.M. We will sleep a portion of it. I changed my outfit twice before settling on tan as my color theme, jeans, boots, and a turtleneck. I opt for a pink and tan plaid wool wrap, thinking it will be easier to keep up with, and double for a cover on the plane.


From the end of the corridor, Thad strolls my way. All cowboy; hat, wool vest, jeans, and Ariat ropers. The only thing missing is his lariat. That leather tote is flung over his shoulder in such a devil-make-care way, I think here comes the Marlboro-Man. I fight the urge to ask him where he parked Trigger. A smile bubbles up with the realization I am glad to see him, then, what he does next leaves me speechless.


--Thad Powers--


I tip my hat to the cabbie who dropped me off at the main entry and slip him a ten. The distant mountains seem so far away; I take one last look at them, then step inside. City-of-Lights, here I come. 


I enter the corridor to the terminal, and there she stands all five-feet-five of her. Well, maybe, more like five-seven today. Her jeans are tucked inside suede boots with a sleek heel, 'so sexy.' I cannot get over how cute she looks in braids and smile. Instinct kicks in; I cup her face, the aroma of her Poison perfume, fills my nostrils. For a moment, I swim in the sensation. Then, lightly press upon those minty coated lips. That leaves me wanting another; I worry the kiss was a mistake. I'm relieved they announce the boarding of our flight. We find our seats and embark on this Journey.



--the Journey--


"Did you get the things I ask for?" Thad asks.


"I did. I brought the most current picture I have of Vince. He only had one prescription still at the house, and I brought it with me, but I don't know what for? I mean, once they find his body, that part of the mystery will be solved."


"They won't find his body, Sara. I do not believe for a moment he's dead. Who, but Vince could have sent that telegram?"


"That doesn't add up.  He had his freedom from me. Why message me at all?"


"That is on my list of things to find out, but have you considered that the telegram to you might be his best alibi of all."


"You made a list. Can I see it?"


"Absolutely, that's why I made it because I think the wreck wasn't an accident."


Sara stiffened in her chair, disassembling all the facts as she knew them, seeing if they made more scene like Thad suggested. She studied his list. He had been busy researching public records and creating a timeline. She had no idea what she would learn, but she was confident it would be a shock.


They talked, laughed, and searched the web using a face recognition app. To rule out the possibility, Vince had made a new profile under a different name. She hacked into his old email address and found an eight-day-old email from a joint h.s.a. visa card. The card held a five-hundred-dollar balance and could only be used for medical bills. Sara and Thad had their first clue. The duo would make the clinic their first official stop.



© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I did like the chapter. We must know the people, trying to be near us. I liked her research and her finding things, a mystery. Good to have a check-up to ensure all is clean and well. Thank you dear Stella for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Firstly, apoligifications for being so behind, but on the plus side, now have plenty to catch up with 😉
Flying! I seem to recall doing that and leaving mountains view for the smoke made me empathise, now that I'm out in the sticks and loving it. It certainly diluted travels appeal.
Long flight would be perfect for problem solving though and think of Hansel & Gretel following crumbs. If they see any edible houses, they should Run! 😊


Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Yes, edible door jams are always a precursor for disaster.
smooth chapter ... I like how the transition is during the flight .. easy to picture them working away at sleuthing ...
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I hope so.
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

it is! a quick smooth read so i read the next chapter too. ;)
A "calling card" left in my wind-shield wiper"... now you have me
thinking of Mystery... it is contageous. My husband watches a lot of
Mysteries... and I join him. I am beginning to understand the fascination.
However, I will remain a Poetess and leave the Art of Intrique on your
Hall of Fame. Your write, Cherrie is spell-binding. I feel the Shadow knows
what will appear. truly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

Well I hope I don't disappoint. I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve:)
Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

I wear my heart on my sleeve...
so tricks up your sleeve may be an Ace...


......... this has both the Cherrie Palmer stamp and the seal of quality running write the way through it .. and if this disappears, it was not written in invisible ink .................................. N :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

:) I was able to use my decoder ring to find it. And thank you I have a master plan for this stor.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


I am extremely confident that your master




Neville :.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2020
Last Updated on June 24, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw