Wolfbane and Baby's Breath

Wolfbane and Baby's Breath

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

With each step, the sounds from the village had fallen away. Horse and buggy clanging along cobbled pavers grew silent. The shrill voices of children were gradually replaced by floating clouds and rolling wheat. Milling birds darted for cover, preparing the sky for night. 

 

  

 

Twilight danced amongst the branches skipping light beams on the narrow path. Crossing the emerald threshold, tiny steps moved from meadow to forest. The lapsing day closed behind her, like a grand door to an inner kingdom, as the angle of the sun failed to shine through the thicket. Woodlands revealed deepening shadows, now sparsely sprinkled with light. 

 

Her chosen path seldom hosted people. This self-kept pathway is a thoroughfare for predator and prey. Her latched creel carried treats. Small toes skimmed across

the mossy ground, as a claret manteau shrouded her form, gentle strides let her meld into the landscape. 

 

Shadows merged and mingled, forming a wall of dusk, and her tiny lamp allowed a dim light to fall at her feet. Fluid motion twirled with the wind, and the eyes of

night followed. The forest canopy hid Little Bear from view, but the twinkling North Star declared her home is near.

 

As the cicada sang with tree frogs and crickets, the sound from the babbling brook joined in. Celest stops at the white willow. From her cape dangled a flying

dagger pendant, with care she removed the blade and extracted a bit of bark, adding it to her creel. In return, she left a handful of sunflower seeds for those that call this tree home. Soon she added a few clusters of a Bearded Tooth, a real find, considering it is so dark.

 

She was just about to reattach the pendant when a twig snapped. Her almond-shaped eyes flashed wide. The presence of another startled her. Celest stiffened the manteau hood fell, releasing cascading locks of deep ember, and she spun around to see the blue bear. He sports a black and grey mixed coat coloring him like a blue roan.

 

"Can you spare a bit of honey?" asked the bear.

 

"For you always," said the girl. 

 

Celest smiled, opened her creel, broke off a piece of warm bread, and added a drizzle of honey. The brut sat and waited for his bounty, his ears twitching with anticipation. Just out of site she heard the persistent sniffing of another. 

 

"Trixie," she called out into the night, and a small red fox wiggled forward and laid at her feet, her reward a smoked sardine. Once the creel's latch reconnected, the two creatures withdrew into the darkness, leaving her to continue on her way. 

 

 

 

Celest hiked her hem to wade across moon reflected water. Halfway across, a smooth jade stone captured her attention. With ease, she snatched it up without

slowing her stride. The smell of pecan wood from her fireplace wafted on the breeze, and her cabin door stood at the ready. Pristine and white, trimmed in

pink, the birch door could withstand any assault, no matter what realm wheeled the danger. 

 

Bathed in enchantments, it would only open to her, and at the sound of her humming, honey-flavored milk steamed by the hearth. A vanilla bean and a cinnamon stick rested inside the mug, adding another layer of delight to the drink. 

 

She lived beside Mother Willow, whose billowing branches continually swayed to conceal the tidy little yard, the little cottage bequeathed to the mistress of the wood. Lined in foxglove flowers and wolfbane, the pale green house shinned. Sparse patches of ginger, rosemary, thyme, and sage lurked in every corner, not to mention a hutch of bees that pollinated the flowers. Their low rumble soothed the air as their beating wings fanned the hive. Fragrant aromas awakened the senses while the eyes were teased by the tapestry of blooming flowers.

 

From generation to generation, one of Fleur's granddaughters lived here. Celest claimed the thirteenth spot, and many thought she would be the last. She had a

true kinship to all living creatures. All except Canis Lupus, better known as the gray wolf. He had no mate, no coterie, and would never trust humans, not even

beautiful Celest. Not only would he never trust her, but he sought ways for her demise. 

 

Now in these modern times, no one believes in fairytales. So, instead, would you believe in a tale from a fairy. For I Sage, who helps tend the garden, would

like to give you my account of, wolf of the new moon.  

 

 

I broke from my herd existence, many moons ago when Fleur was just a baby. Her tender cooing echoed across dale and brook to my willow, and I could not resist. Her flaming scarlet hair, jolting eyes of seafoam green, and moon-kissed skin was just too lovely for humankind. My sister, Lilly, and I whisked her away to this cabin to

raise her as our own. Teaching her all we know. We who live in-between realms are both teacher and student to her and her offspring. 

 

Lilly made her an enchanted cloak. It is the deepest wine red sprinkled in morning dew and fermented wine dregs. So, a quick shake of the cape can intoxicate anyone standing near for an easy escape. I gave Fleur a lullaby that can lull the raging heart, and she pasted those things down to each new mistress of the woods. Until now, it is Celest who abides. 

 

We promised not to have favorites as we watch over the inhabitants of the cottage, but I must admit we failed, for Celest is a divination of perfection, and we love her more than life. With each passing year, we bestow a new

enchantment upon her.

 

But I digress; let me return to the tale of the beast. His merle coat is thick with black, grey, and brown. Soon he met up with the Blue the bear.

 

"You reek of humans," said the wolf.

 

However, Blue the bear lowered his gaze; the look he gave the wolf made the little fox hide.

 

"Speak not to me," said the bear, as he lumbered away. Trixie  quickly followed. Blue the bear did not alter his stride one tiny bit. Leaving the wolf where he stood. 

 

The forest calls the wolf the Eyes of Night, for he is always on the prowl. In silence, he crossed the brook, just a few paces behind Celest. He moved off the path so no charm would tell on him, but a small mouse scurried from his sight, stirring the leaves. Telling Celest that trouble followed. 

 

She lifted her flying dagger pendant over her shoulder to disclose any pursuer, but the little blade showed only darkness. Celest clipped it back to her cape and continued. The garden gate groaned with a kiss from a gentle zephyr; it parted wide for the mistress of the woods to pass. The squeaking hinges sang, and a loud thud vibrated behind her. Quickly, she turned to see who followed. 

 

Crouching low in a malevolent stance, the big, bad-tempered wolf displayed his weapons. His lips quivered around long fangs, and his deep growl created fear. Energy traveled from head to tail, ready to strike. Celest slipped her hand into an inner pocket, removing fine dust of wolfbane and baby's breath as she faced down this big bad wolf.


 

 

The huge beast leaped into the air to strike the deathblow; she let the zephyr carry the mixture.

 

"new moon, new you," she said, as the wolf knocked her to the ground. 

 

"How many times must you become a cub again?" She asked as he whined and kissed her neck, wiggling with delight. She snuggled up the little pup, and she wondered if this time it would be different. 



© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

dearest Cherrie… your writing has a bit of Beauty and the Beast… “A Tale as old as Time…”.
I am entranced by the footprints in the Moss. I shall always believe this Story. gently, Pat

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Pat:)
I felt like i was traveling through a combination of nursery rhymes that became R rated. I wish I had a cape I could shake and intoxicate as I escape. This left me feeling like I had found the bowl of metaphors that was just right!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

When the kids were little I worked for the tulsa police as a dispatcher on midnight's. I re write th.. read more
William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Too cool!!
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Well unless your goldilocks who gets arrested for breaking and entering. Lol
Hey Cherrie you have a flair for soothing descriptions that paint an inviting scene. Thanks for the colorful adventure!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you in a slower story I like to make the backdrop part of the story itself for that fairytale.. read more
Such descriptive writing filled with poetic expression Cherrie. Really enjoyed the read so far. Hope you continue.

Chris

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

thank you Chris , I put this in to a chapter story Child of the Wood :)
Thank you dear Cherrie for sharing the wonderful story. I want to know and read more. Hello from Michigan and have some fun and be safe.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

:) Hello and good morning up there. And thank you:)
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Good morning from Michigan dear Cherrie and you are welcome.
I love it! this is fun, i really like how you have reworked the story so far:) very poetic and proseful wording in your storyline!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Ya know, sometimes I just got'a skip down the enchanted woods with the grandkids.
I read this before, didn't I? Only this is reworked if my memory is favoring me at all. I think it is one you would maybe expand. Either way. I felt kind of in a low spot this morning Cherrie .. and purposefully signed on to the Cafe' with hopes of lifting me spirits a bit. To get out of me own head so to speak; and your chapter is the first thing I read and truly lifted my thoughts and feelings. It is magical and such a fine take on an old classic. You have brought it up to date with technicolor and 3d effects. I love the blue roan bear! How imaginative and fresh. In the second paragraph/first line .. "amongst" seems out of place to me. That's just me tho ... not a fan of thee s and thou s and amongst s ;) great story, so vivid with imaging; I am enchanted by the faeries and Little Red's power .. no cringing in fear for this girl. Will be reading on ... love it!
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

2 Years Ago

marchmellows and cream in me coffee .. boy! you are asking me to go out on a limb with that one, Che.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

mostly, I drink my coffee black and it is yummy.
Einstein Noodle

2 Years Ago

;)..........................
Wonderfully written! Beautiful details and descriptions. I really liked this and I'm definitely going to be reading this story! This is such an interesting premise and you wrote it so well, it makes me glad your writing can carry your ideas. That's very important and I'm can't wait to read more! I can't help but ponder about what will happen next...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you so very much. I love that you like this remixed story,and I hope you like where it's goin.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 29, 2021
Last Updated on December 2, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In Spirit In Spirit

A Poem by Chris Shaw


Luminosity Luminosity

A Poem by emmajoy