The Field's Edge

The Field's Edge

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

With each new day the landscape gleamed greener, as new life spread across the landscape. Garlands of moonbeams and Spring’s gentle breath danced with every blade of grass. The tiny zephyr eased across my window seal. The cool breeze stirred my senses, and I lowered my book to lean forward in my cane rocker. Wondering what had disturbed my concentration.

Movement caught my eye. I noticed a long lean lass with ivory skin draped in a pale gossamer frock. Her dance like movements captivated my sight.

With smooth gliding steps she skirted the shadowy edges, nimbly moving toward my meadow.
The now silhouetted form sprang over the fence using a Pas de Chat. Then slightly turned back to look back my way.

Mesmerized, by her beauty I rose from my chair. She turned back to face the direction of her escape moving toward the brittle grasses of Winter.
My motherly instincts called out to her.

I yelled from my window, “please don’t go, come back,” but the beauty with flowing locks of black-ice-plum, ran faster.

It was then, I noticed a lustrous mantle billowing behind her.
Before I had a chance to think, I had skimmed out the window in pursuit. The moment I left the safety of my lighted room the vast outdoors wrapped the area in deep shadows.

Murmuring phantoms chimed.
Every branch and blade of grass saying, “’stop,’ ‘turn back,’ ‘you must go home,’ ‘leave her be,’ ‘she belongs to the moon.’”

But I could not turn back and continued to follow.

Soon the ‘pretty-bird, pretty-bird’ chime of the cardinal morphed into ‘run-home, run-home,’ but still I chased her.

I watched her run into the brittle grasses left over from last year, and this once human size creature stood barely taller than last year's rye. She continued running toward the heather and still her size matched the foliage nearest her. Then she went and hid behind a cluster of daffodils. I came to a complete stop confused and baffled as I searched the grouping of bright yellow.

One last time the grass and flowers whispered to me; “‘turn back,’ ‘go home,’” instead I moved closer.

She moved out from behind the safety of her flower, and what had looked like a cape had ruffled out to translucent wings. I stood in silence with mouth gapping.
The little nymph reached up and touched my foot. With a mischievous giggle she whispered, "wait here".

With no warning at all my bare feet began to tingle, and I tuned into a weeping willow and the gentle zephyr felt good in my branches.




© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Turned into a willow. I always wondered why they weep so. I asked the poplar who wasn't popular. She said she never knew. I asked the oak who seldom spoke but he was silent too. I asked the pine who said, "It's fine. There's nothing you can do." Then he added with a needled sigh, "It's just what willows do."

Posted 9 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

9 Months Ago

Wonderful- I love it.
Cherrie, there's such a magical flow in your tale. seems as you had wrapped yourself the cloak of a willow tree's being and created - truly, Cherrie, a very special moral perhaps, certainly, true wonder. Your words are beautifully laid.. and, unique.

' Soon the ‘pretty-bird, pretty-bird’ chime of the cardinal morphed into ‘run-home, run-home,’ but still I chased her.
I watched her run into the brittle grasses left over from last year, and this once human size creature stood barely taller than last year's rye. She continued running toward the heather and still her size matched the foliage nearest her. Then she went and hid behind a cluster of daffodils. I came to a complete stop confused and baffled as I searched the grouping of bright yellow.
One last time the grass and flowers whispered to me; “‘turn back,’ ‘go home,’” instead I moved closer.'

Posted 9 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

9 Months Ago

I like (trying) to pretend with children. Imagining what we cannot see.
emmajoygreen

9 Months Ago

That is how it should be, Cherrie. After all, we are only 'growed up little 'uns'!
Well, you don't read that every day! 😊
But hey, she was warned to turn back and didn't listen. I guess there's a lesson for all of us in there, but all I know is, next time I se something in the corner of my eye, ignore it and it will go away. Its way too cold here to be a tree. 😊

Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

Yes. If you are going to be a tree let's try Fiji.
I’ve just re read the first one this one again
You are so very talented !!
I hope you publish
Let me know

Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

I will and thank you so much 💓
An absolutely stunning tour de force. I was riveted through my entire journey, And the beauty of the ending, becoming a willow tree (the wonderful mix of images in my head) weeping and rejoicing through eternity
Splendid splendid splendid Cherrie
ken e

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

I had fun making this one up. I noticed a few of my stories has a Willow in it. So I thought I wo.. read more
Ken e Bujold

1 Year Ago

well you penned a great work Cherrie
An absolutely Charming Story Poem.., ❤️ love the ending… definitely should be a Book 📕 for old and young to enjoy… and Grandmothers could read this to the young Children. I am still Child-like at 82 and I Treasure your Words. tenderly, Pat

Posted 1 Year Ago


Patricia Wedel

1 Year Ago

Lovely… we had a down pour yesterday on Monday and after it stopped a Rainbow 🌈 appeared… an .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

That is so special. I note from Heaven.
Patricia Wedel

1 Year Ago

A Rainbow 🌈 Message (Note) from Heaven… so special … so much is a Mystery, but there are Sign.. read more
Enchanting fairytale like story
One I truly loved
You must write more stories like this cherrie !
Loved the ending what a surprise too

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

:) thank you. I love a good fairytale and like trying to tell one.
A amazing opening chapter dear Cherrie. You create a strong character, amazing story line. I loved the ending of the chapter. You create vision and thoughts for the reader to ponder. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reading this simple little bedtime story
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You are welcome, dear Cherrie.
Lovely descriptive writing here Cherrie. Curiosity led to an unexpected ending to this story. I enjoyed your lines. Thank you.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Chris 😊
Stunning dear Cherrie, your language here is different and like a spell over the page... I was mesmerized by your whole story and didn't expect the ending. I don't feel that this little nymph can be that harmful to the sweet Lady You, I see "next chapter" ok... we will see :>

Posted 1 Year Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2022
Last Updated on April 14, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Luna Luna

A Poem by Sami Khalil


Haiku #21 Haiku #21

A Poem by mattavelli


Weather Weather

A Poem by Sami Khalil