Dog in the Meadow

Dog in the Meadow

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

The boy’s pants were too frozen to climb back into the house through his window. So, the forest watched James’s creak through the backdoor screen. The rusty henges protested. As he waddled to his bedroom still partly froze. After reaching the rocker he pulled off his boots. He nibbled at a baloney sandwich left over from earlier. Then ran through a list of dog names: Bo, Tank, Dan, Bandit, Rascal, Jack, Dash. Yes, he liked the name Dash.
He would pull his bedroom window closed and fashion a name tag for Dash, but before he could close the window, he fell asleep.

The forest watched twinkling lights move in and out of every room of the house. If you listen the flickering lights whirr. It did not take long for the lights to settle in the upstairs bedroom. The room where Ben and Alice Winslow slept. The flickering light swelled to a bright icy glare. Finally, the room packed full of light popped, and splinters of light sprayed across the yard.
The explosion of light cracked light lightning, waking James. The loud sound had him leap to his feet. A heaping mound of snow fell from his lap as he stood. His gaze moved across the yard, and he could plainly see his snow dog was gone, stick and all. Fear crept up his spine. He quickly closed and locked the window and ran upstairs to tell his parents.

“Mom, Dad,” he yelled taking the steps two at a time, “I made a dog out of snow!” he added as he reached the top, “and it’s gone!”

He jerked open the door to tell them everything that had happened when the icy haze that encased them stole his words. Dumbfounded the boy stood in silence taking in the scene. He then ran to his parents. They seemed to wear an armor of ice.

Tears flooded his eyes and He yelled to them. “Mom, Dad! Wakeup! Please wakeup!”

He saw an old parchment of paper written in strange symbols. The only thing that he could understand was their names. In the very corner was a thumb print. Lightly he dusted his thumb a crossed it. A small noise made him turn to the corner where a little grey squirrel barked at him. She stood on her hind legs waving her tail as she chattered away.

At his feet the thud of a stick fell and sitting at attention was Dash
his white snow dog. The dog wagged his tail, and little pieces of snow drifted down.

The boy nervously cleared his throat to speak, “Dash?” He asked softly and the dog through his front paws on the boys chest, then licked his face. “Do you know what is happening?” He asked the dog.


© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, for a minute there I thought what I said in my last review was right, but at least he got a dog and never became one.
I am wondering what will happen to his parents now, but will lay off the guessing for now, in case it comes true. 😊


Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

Get ready for the chase scene
I did like the chapter. Create a dog of snow and one appeared. A hopeful and wonderful chapter dear Cherrie.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Everyone needs a magical day
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree dear Cherrie.
This is getting more interesting. Children will love this, adventure, scary, rescuing, a Hero Boy and his magical Dog, a perfect fairytale >

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you a boy just felt right for this story. Thank you for sticking with this little bedtime sto.. read more
Wow, this is so awesome! You seriously need to think about doing this as a children's book!

Posted 2 Years Ago


I'm enjoying your story and can't wait for the next chapter.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I wanted the Willow to tell the story and hope to write a little Monday.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
KAREN

2 Years Ago

Can't wait to read more!
If it were me, I'd make minor changes to the following line, for reading's sake. “Mom dad! Wakeup! Please wakeup for me!” Mom's would say, wake up for me, I don't believe young boys would.
This is some clever writing, Cherrie. Once I started reading, I couldn't have stopped if I wanted to, (I didn't want to). The great subjects, characters, for any age, and the mystery lingers into the next chapter. :)


Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I agree on the dialog. The whole thing needs alittle work.
I'm glad you like it. A little .. read more
JE Falcon

2 Years Ago

Keep working, you'll get it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2022
Last Updated on April 17, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..