The Key in the Meadow

The Key in the Meadow

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

His hand hovered a millimeter from the glowing key. At this angle, the mural took on a four-dimensional effect, that tugged at his balance. The boundaries of the painting felt endless. Trees, and water filtered across the space. Prowling on the fringe a shadow. Within the picture he saw his small farmhouse with a tiny winged figure perched in the attic window. By the front door sat a white shepherd. This made James glance down for the dog. However, Dash was nowhere to be seen.

The painted bird seemed to taunt him. Always just out of reach. He lunged for the key and as he did the two birds carrying the ribbon flew away with key in tow. James tumbled to the ground, colliding with the green grass. Dash stood beside him, and a portrait of the little farmhouse swung from a tree.

He turned a 360 looking everywhere. Birds were singing and dragonflies darted about. Cherry blossoms and dogwood petals floated on the breeze. Carrying the smell of new life and delicate pistils of a dandelion drifted. The cascading blooms were hypnotic. He stood to his feet brushing off grass stains.
When the whispering woods caught him unaware. “’Why have crossed,’ ‘go back,’ ‘go back now,’” they whispered.

Dash nudged him toward the picture. The boy grabbed the 11x15 picture and studied it hard. It most definitely was his house. Snow covered the ground his bedroom window wedged open. A squirrel perched on the roof, and his parents slept in their bed. Since he crossed, he had almost forgotten about his mom and dad. He held the picture for a long time till he heard a loud splash. He let go of the portrait, which swung on a vine; back and forth gently slowing to a stop.
He followed the sound to find a pond. Two rabbits nibbled at some greenery. While a chipmunk gnawed on a nutty treat. Five dragonflies hoovered over the water: each carrying a tiny person. One by one the riders dove off their mounts. A stream of giggles ensued. Laughter dropped from the air only to be encased by a ‘splash.’ That gave way to silence. Over lapping ringlets spread across the pool. Spreading out mirroring glass. Like a musical scale five heads popped up above the water bobbing to-and-fro.

“Hello,” James said, clearing his throat. “Can you help me?”

However, everything seemed to vanish. Except for the body of water. Now, simply adorned with a few rocks and trees. It looked more like a still life than the complex vision of wildlife he just witnessed. Confused more than ever he walked over to a boulder to sit down and analyzed the parchment. He stared at ancient script that he figured no one could read, and shouted, “How does this help!”

Dash lumbered over to lay at James’s feet. From behind the dog’s ear a small figure appeared. The little fairy took to the air and hoovered. Her long hair the color of a black plum. Her beaded dress a sassy sage. With lightning speed, she landed on the ring. It began to hum,

and the wind whispered, “speak to the promise,”

the grass joined in, “see the circle of life.”

The fairy said, “bind the shadow,

and we all win.”

Darkness began to fall. The wind grew still, and the voices grew still and the fairy was gone.


© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is truly growing into some adventure Cherrie and the end of this one leaves me feeling similar to the tale itself. Darkening night, wind stilling and dreamy sleeps beckoning.
Perhaps I shall fall into a dream where the tale continues... But if not, I shall resume the adventure in the morning.
I feel like that fairy just sprinkled me with some sleepy night time dust. A perfect place to pause to rest my sleepy eyes. 😴

Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

Beware of fairy dust. You Nay end up in the next chapter.
Lorry

10 Months Ago

😊 😊 😊 😊 😊
Hi dear Cherrie :> I am here again counting to read from where I stopped. love the ending of this chapter, it's like a magical song, I can hear the grass, the wind, the fairy... so lovely.

Posted 1 Year Ago


nice, the painting has life, great read hon :D Maynard 😂😎😋🥱

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Thank you Maynard 😊
knighngale

1 Year Ago

most welcome dear, 🙄😍😎😋🤗🥱
Your imagery is great, and the story is progressing really well!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

I wish I had a larger block to write with. Hopefully I can finsh the next chapter tomorrow at lun.. read more
KAREN

1 Year Ago

I am enjoying it!
You are doing a outstanding job dear Cherrie. I love stories that bring us in and we can understand.
"and the wind whispered, “speak to the promise,”
the grass joined in, “see the circle of life.”
The fairy said, “bind the shadow,
and we all win.”
Darkness began to fall. The wind grew still, and the voices grew still and the fairy was gone"
The above lines. So good. Thank you for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie, this is really good! I am enjoying the adventure and mystery!

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2022
Last Updated on April 20, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..