Run James  Run

Run James Run

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

James rose to his feet. He searched for any sign of the shadow. The little breeze whispered, “be careful,” with Willow echoing the words.

“But I won,” the boy boasted. “Didn’t I?”

“Beware the shadow places,” the wind whispered as it moved on.

The boy recognized the tree from his back yard. “I know you,” he said as he grabbed a limb to swing.

“And I know you, James Winslow.” Willow replied.

“Nephew of mine,” she said as a memory sparked in her mind. That this boy was her Great Nephew.

James jumped down and looked at the tree with a hard eye. “Does everything here speak?” he asked.

“No, not everything. Only those of us, that are awake, speak. Now you must go. You cannot stay here. They will return.”

“What are they?” The boy asked.

“I call it the Darken. It can be one or many. It is a curse. Connected to a promise I broke. The day I made chase to this place where I am now rooted. I painted a great picture in my attic. A picture I promised to keep clean and fresh, like the seasons it portrays. Find your way back to the attic. You can set this right,” Willow said. Now tired from talking she sighed, “hurry and go.” She added. “Go now.” She whispered. “Hurry James, hurry home.”

He saw a shadow pear around some Tiger Lilies. They too whispered “run, run fast,” and he began to run.

In the far corner of this section was a gazabo, with something sitting on the center of the floor. A dark gloom loomed over his shoulder. Without time to think he ran for the structure. This time the Darken was one large beast with a billowing skirted trunk and long whimsical appendages that reached for him. The boy’s magical boots kept him just out of reach.

James tumbled over a fallen log, giving the beast the fraction of time, it had been looking for. One tentacle touched his shoulder. The boy screamed in pain. All of the forest screamed with him. Even the mute, eyeless Darken screamed in silence. The shoulder of his shirt ripped. Droplets of blood formed on James’s wound. The beast morphed into a basilisk ready for the kill. He spun away and stood.

At this point James could see the item in the gazebo was the cedar chest. Of course, the lid was down. He had no idea how this would help him. A swarm of dragonflies raced in front of him several little riders leaped off the mounts onto the chest. Lifting the lid just an enough. The wind kicked up a dust devil pushing back the Darken.

Little Allette yelled, “Jump in!” So, James got in a diving stance and leaped off an imaginary driving board. He leaped inside the chest. Bounding over a painter’s tarp, brushes, paints, and turpentine. With a ‘thud’ he hit bottom, and the lid slammed shut.


© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love this I hope you publish the book
You better so many kids need this now

Posted 9 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

9 Months Ago

I'd like to. I need to polish it up some.
:) Thank you Julie
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

9 Months Ago

You are very welcome 🙏
Phew! Just in the nick of time. I am so glad I've got a night light in my bedroom. We'll, it's actually a camping light, but it still helps me find my glasses and now, will be on full bright mode, so I can see if the darken is trying to sneak up on me. 😊
A great tale so far, that has whizzed by and kept my brain whirring over, proving that even when I wear my big boy pants, I'm still a kid at heart 😊



Posted 9 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

9 Months Ago

There's nothing better than being a kid at heart ❤️
"Only those of us, that are awake, speak." this lines stands out for me, it speaks wisdom to the childs' mind, a sentence that will stick in their heads and until they grow up, they understand the meaning behind it. another wonderful chapter Cherrie.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

9 Months Ago

I'm so glad I love stories that make me feel like a kid or at least remind me of how I use to feel a.. read more
OH wow, Cherrie, that was a voyage. I love the part about the fireflies. And the majical boots, great read hon, Maynard. 😂😋😎🥱

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

:) thank you Maynard. I hope to finish it off soon.
knighngale

1 Year Ago

oh yes, i will hon😋
Cherrie, this is SO good! You really got my attention!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Kathy, I was just telling Karen how much it means to me that you two have enjoyed my story. I hop.. read more
KATHY SUE SILLS

1 Year Ago

My pleasure!
I can't wait to see what happens! Nicely done!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Karen You girls have been wonderful. Sticking with me on this story.
Thank you so much.
KAREN

1 Year Ago

My pleasure!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 22, 2022
Last Updated on April 26, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..