A Story for Mattie

A Story for Mattie

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

My would be ballerina

"

 

Two crisp, clear, claps ring out, as Madame Bovary, spins on her heels turning away from the class in protest to their performance. "Girls what are you doing? This is not what I showed you. Again, from the top."

The expression across their faces rings out loud and clear. Maybe, even clearer than the claps they just heard. Everyone takes their starting positions two rows of six, and begins from the top. The girls begin to smile, knowing they are hitting each mark. Madame Bovary, almost smiles, letting the class of ten-year-olds know she is pleased.

Again two crisp claps, "Take five". Each girl runs to the fountain for a small drink of water, and to gaze out the window. The day is lovely; the swings on the playground would make a wonderful breeze to cool their red hot faces. The class returns to Madame Bovary, for the next string of moves. Everyone is standing in attendance but Mattie, who is only seven; she dances in the class with her cousin Michelle. She is watching a small red squirrel, which in turn sometimes hops in the window and watches Mattie. Tonight Mattie gets to dance with the class, As a rule, she only goes to rehearsals and not to the recitals. However, tonight she will get her own solo.

Madame Bovary calls for the girl. "Child, do not keep me waiting all day, we must go over your dance."

Mattie a wild haired curly Q, rounds the corner, like a commando, shoulders squared and feet flat. "Tada!" she shouts.

 

The teacher is too proper to roll her eyes, or to snicker, but snicker to herself she does. Belinda, the red squirrel who longs to be a prima ballerina wraps her fluffy red tail around her middle like a tutu and watches the solo from her window perch. Mattie’s arms frame her stance, and Belinda also stands at the ready. They bend, and sway in unison. They dip, leap, and plié` across the floor, and windowsill. Madame Bovary claps her hands and proclaims the rehearsal is complete.

 

Now all that is left is hair, make-up and costumes, oh, and parents of course. Das himmlische Leben, in G Major rings out as the chorus line of dancers take the stage. Parents offer a small clap offering as the curtain goes up. Belinda the dancing squirrel sits in the corner of the stage to watch the dancers up close.

Mattie, our star watches the girls for her cue to enter. She is mesmerized; no longer can she hear the music. Soon her smile is replaced with a dead stare. Her feet become one with the floor and blinking is waved away. The spotlight is set corner stage for her to move into place, but the light remains empty. The small orchestra hits her cue again, but still no Mattie.

 

Whispers echo from the audience as they wonder about the empty light. Belinda jumps up with alarm; she is worried that Mattie will not be able to step into her spotlight. Again, her cue is played; again the lighted floor remains bare. Without thought, Belinda wraps her fluffy red tail around her middle, places a small broken acorn shell on her head, for a tiara and spins into the spotlight. The orchestra stands to their feet confused by the little red squirrel.

 

She places her little paws in the starting stance and the orchestra is seated, instruments lifted and the ballet solo begins. Mattie smiles as she watches the little red squirrel dance. She is now seated in the corner of the stage amazed with Belinda’s grace. The parents stare in disbelief and Madame Bovary thinks she will become famous. The dance draws to a close; the people stand and wildly applaud the little red squirrel. A piece of baby’s breath is tossed to Belinda, she curtseys to the room. Mattie smiles at Belinda and though the whole room wants her attention, she and Mattie skip away to play.

 

 

© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
any comments are helpful

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh lovely. Whenever I've pictured a ballet class, it's been with the somewhat sad image of that one girl who just couldn't quite measure up. You may have just replaced that image with a bushy tail and an acorn tiara. ;)
Favourite line: "The day is lovely, the swings on the playground would make a wonderful breeze to cool their red hot faces" I don't have much else to say. It's obvious that you know what you're doing. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is mind-blowingly creative & I'm jealous as hell. I've always loved the way you work animals into your stories as fully-fleshed-out characters. But this one goes further than I've seen you go before. I love the way everything is told with such gentle affection & humanity. You really take us into the heart of your characters. But also I really love the total fantasy aspect of this, which seems to be different from anything I've read by you yet. This really shows off your versatility! (((HUGS))) fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Ya know Margie, I think for most kids their fist friend ( if not a sibling)is a animal. Whether it's.. read more
Ohhhh Cherrie, what a wonderful story, I love it, truly do. As a tale it has something missing in life today .. CHARM. And that means that I sat smiling for most of the read, teared up towards the end.. but laughed at its finish. And of course, apart from that, you write very fluently/fluidly, yet with great care. Seems like a labour of love. May i add that the extra mention of ballet terms, music and such really add to Maddie's tale. Think this is not only a children's tale, it's for anyone who still has the child inside her and why not - him..

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I always thought it would be fun to have the three bears for different job themes; firemen, poker p.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

Don't doubt that! Will send you a story about the three bears that our daddy told us... x
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I can't wait:)
You know, some things are just meant to be. I love this tale and how when we get our big chance, perhaps it may not go as planned, but we all learn from it. And who wouldn't want a Belinda to have her moment too?
I was going to add that this is such a delightful tale for kids, but it was delighyful for me too :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm with you sometimes the simple approach of a child's story delights my heart too.
read more
Lorry

5 Years Ago

I did. Reminded me of reading to nephews and nieces, who would giggle at all the accents and silly f.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Lol kids and adults. It's funny how we can attach ourselves to something so repetitive as hearing a .. read more
Very cute story. I just published my first children's book and would love to network with you. Good luck!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh lovely. Whenever I've pictured a ballet class, it's been with the somewhat sad image of that one girl who just couldn't quite measure up. You may have just replaced that image with a bushy tail and an acorn tiara. ;)
Favourite line: "The day is lovely, the swings on the playground would make a wonderful breeze to cool their red hot faces" I don't have much else to say. It's obvious that you know what you're doing. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2009
Last Updated on March 28, 2019
Previous Versions

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..