Final Thought

Final Thought

A Story by Miss Lucy Zven
"

This is a short story I wrote in October '07 for Literature class.

"

 

 

November 16, 2028

 

“Milady, we have done it.” said General Nakamura, a smile across his face.

            “Really, Toshiro?” I replied. I already knew the answer, but loved to hear of my achievements from another person. It was big-headed of me, but I’m Kara the Conqueror. I’m allowed to be big-headed.

            “Yes,” Nakamura said, a hint of joy in his voice, “The rebel troops have pulled back into Columbus. They left their supplies and dead in their rush to escape.”

            I laughed heartily, so proud of my men and said, “We are doing well, Toshiro. Very well indeed. Your expertise is a great asset to our goal. Now…How many are dead?”

            “47, milady,” spoke a low deep voice from the shadows, and I glanced over to see Lieutenant Alphons Hiederich standing there. His platinum blonde hair, and mesmerizing ice blue eyes made him stick out like a sore thumb among the thousands of men I commanded.

            “Good, good,” I said, giving Alphons an approving look, “Seeing as we have nothing to worry about for three or four days, go relax and sharpen your mind and body for any new attacks.”

            Toshiro and Alphons bowed simultaneously and exited the room, allowing me to finally let out a sigh of relief. When you’re so close yet so far from holding the entire world in your hands, it becomes very stressing. It makes no sense, though. I’ve taken down the Navy, Army National Guard, Marine Core, and the Air Force. Everyone, and yet this insignificant city has repelled everything I have sent at them. They’re like cockroaches that just won’t stay crushed.

            “Those insects,” I muttered, “Stupid, pitiful, strong, insects…”

 

One week later…

            It has been a week and there has been no sign of the rebels. They seem to have just disappeared. Toshiro, Alphons and I have been so unoccupied that we resorted to playing games. Go Fish, Hangman, Monopoly and anything else we could think up. The last remnants of the rebel camp had been cleaned up. Their supplies burned and the bodies buried. I may seem heartless to most, but I assure you, I am not. I respect the dead like others, greatly. Friend or foe…

            “Your ladyship!”

            I looked quickly to my right to see who has addressed me. Second Lieutenant Cho Chang stood before me, red faced and gasping, in the doorway.

            “Yes, Cho?” I said, hoisting myself up, “What’s gotten you into such a state?”

            “The rebel army! They’ve attacked the West Quarters, ma’am! One of the tower guards was able to get away and…” she replied, but stopped to catch her breath, clutching her side.

            “Take a deep breath and finish quickly!” I almost screamed. My people were being slaughtered? How on earth were the rebels able to infiltrate our walls? I wanted an explanation. Now!

            After a moment, Cho finally got her composure back and continued, “The tower guard who escaped was able to give us a bit of insight of the events, Kara.”

            “And?” I replied, smiling a bit at how she remembered that I liked to be called by my name and not addressed formally.

            Cho removed a recorder from her right pocket, and clicked the Play button. A panicked, husky voice came from the small speaker and filled the dead quiet room, “T-They came out of nowhere! I just b-blinked and hordes of them were s-shooting at us and climbing walls. I-I was able to get d-down in time to avoid being s-shot, but everyone around me was either injured or d-dead. It was h-h-horrible! They started s-setting everything they could on f-fire, and shot anything that moved! I-I…”

            “It stops there. He was too disturbed to continue,” said Cho, slipping the recorder back into her pocket and looking at me, awaiting her orders.

            I sprung into action immediately, shouting orders left and right.

            “Toshiro and Alphons! I want you both to go and gather up everyone from the North and South Quarters. Fill them in on the situation, and get them to West Quarters as soon as possible. Process the damage and kill any remaining enemy on the spot! Cho! I need you to get the Special Ops and search out the rebels. They couldn’t be too far away! Once you find them…” I stopped for a split second, choosing my next move wisely, and said “…kill them all!”

 

December 23, 2028

Murphy’s Law: Everything that can go wrong will.

            It all happened so fast, there are still gaps in my memory of the events that had occurred a month ago. I do not have much time left, so I shall shorten my story. After West Quarters was attacked, I sent the soldiers from the North and South Quarters to clean up the mess. It was my fatal mistake. The rebels had hoped for that, because now I was unguarded on two sides, and East Quarters had also been overpowered. The Special Ops were effortlessly dealt with and the power cut, so none of the safety measures could operate. My remaining men gave their best to try and protect the Centre, but to no avail. Columbus’s troops made a body strewn path through my helpless army, and directly to me. I was immediately captured and imprisoned in a 5 x 8 cell. Sitting here writing, only ten minutes from my execution, I wonder whatever happened to Toshiro, Alphons and Cho. After I gave them their orders, I never saw them again. All the bodies of my troops were identified and buried, but no news of my three closest friends. I think, somehow, they escaped. I hope with all my heart and soul that they did. Start their lives anew and shed themselves of me and their blood and war ridden pasts. I can only hope, though. The door opened with a creak and a guard stepped in.

            “Time to go!” he said, in a droning voice. I ask him, and he allows me to write one last line before I am sent to the gallows. My one and final though…

            All I wanted to do was destroy the Old World and begin a new reign. Make the people naïve and innocent, so that maybe the world wouldn’t be so corrupt and we could start over. Hopefully, though, my dream will be fulfilled, but my part here is ending, and my final thought is done. 

 

© 2008 Miss Lucy Zven


Author's Note

Miss Lucy Zven
Intelligence, please. Do you notice that I put this on all my writing? :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, I really do love that story! You have a wonderfully tense feel to it and although the story does take place in the future it almost feels as if it were about any of the great conquerers.

You have a couple typos such as two different tenses (I believe so, at least), and in the beginning the switch between them winning, then being bored, and then losing is a bit confusing . . . at first it almost seems as if she's looking back on them playing the games from the point where they just won. On the whole, however, that was the most I could find wrong with anything. Excellent job (that last line is a winner)!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, I really do love that story! You have a wonderfully tense feel to it and although the story does take place in the future it almost feels as if it were about any of the great conquerers.

You have a couple typos such as two different tenses (I believe so, at least), and in the beginning the switch between them winning, then being bored, and then losing is a bit confusing . . . at first it almost seems as if she's looking back on them playing the games from the point where they just won. On the whole, however, that was the most I could find wrong with anything. Excellent job (that last line is a winner)!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 6, 2008
Last Updated on June 7, 2008

Author

Miss Lucy Zven
Miss Lucy Zven

OH



About
Guten Tag! Welcome to my little corner of this wonderful site. I do hope that you will read my work and critique it. Your thoughts are much appriciated. I don't know if I could be labeled a poet. I .. more..

Writing