Knight Of The Night

Knight Of The Night

A Story by Katie Reichelt
"

Natalie and Liam - two damaged teenagers, wounded by their past. Held back by struggles and secrets, the two forbidden lovers fight to discover what they'd do for love. And how much they need it.

"
Chapter 1
 I was 15, he was 16. It was the perfect teenage love story. But there was just one problem: Dad. I shouldn't blame him, though, I should blame the rain which came when we were unprepared, lounging in the sunlight with no means of shelter. I should blame our ignorance to the fact that life doesn't always go your way. I should blame us for being too happy, for believing too strongly that there wasn't a big drop at the end of the river. Well, I guess I should start from the beginning. That would be the most logical approach.

 “Natalie!” My name resonated through the house, impatient and on the verge of irritation. I glanced at the clock which glared 8:11.

“I’m coming!” I responded, applying one final layer of mascara to my eyelashes. Grabbing my bag and swinging one strap over my shoulder, I ran down the stairs to greet my dad, who was peering at his watch with an exasperated expression masking his face. I ignored his obvious annoyance and greeted him before choosing an apple and leaving the house.

As he drove me to school, we exchanged small talk and I bolted down my breakfast. Barely five minutes passed before we arrived at school, parking just next to the gate. I jumped out and slammed the door shut, then began to walk briskly towards the building, wary of his eyes watching me until I was safely into the school grounds.

Our school was a typical one, made of red bricks and two main blocks of classrooms, each three floors high. I sighed as I approached, not excited for another day. I collected my books from my locker, double-checked that I had completed all homework and made my way towards the library, where I knew I’d find Abby.

I grinned to myself as I spotted her perched on a velvety blue beanbag, in the deserted area of the room. She was engrossed in her latest- and I quote- ‘most amazing book in the world’. I slowly crept up to her from behind, before digging my fingers into her sides, causing her to squeal and jump away from me, startled. She laughed and shoved me playfully as I settled down next to her.

Abby and I were your typical ‘nerds’ of the class. Yes, we enjoyed a good book and weren't afraid to admit it. Yes, we tried hard in lessons, as (unlike certain people) we wanted to please our families and have a good future. Unfortunately, these two factors were looked on negatively by Year Eleven students. This didn't bother us. We had each other and frankly that was all that I needed to survive the hellhole that is secondary school (for clarification purposes, I must add that trying hard in lessons is not an equivalent to actually enjoying school.)

We soon became engrossed in a conversation, discussing whether the combination of biscuits in tea was a smart choice, or a disgrace to the human race. Of course, I argued that the variety of texture created a sensational snack, while Abby refused to accept the idea of soggy biscuits and crumbs in your drink. I loved our conversations; they were so…unique. Other girls gossiped about the latest couples and TV shows. Abby and I talked about our obsession for bacon. Life was OK.

Minutes later, the sharp and deafening trill of the bell screamed in my ears, dragging me from our conversation. With a disappointed sigh, I pulled myself up and walked to the science block with Abby, feeling mentally unprepared for an hour of learning about chemical bonding.

The day dragged on like any other, like a stubborn child, reluctant to go up to bed. I was relieved to hear the joyful chime of the last bell, signalling that I could finally go home. I found my dad leaning against our red ford focus, waiting patiently for me. He broke into a smile as he found me. I ambled towards him, hugging several revision guides and homework assignments to my chest.

Arriving home, I collapsed onto the cream sofa, switching the TV to a Big Bang Theory repeat and settling down for an hour’s relaxation. This was my favourite time of day. The time where I could let any thoughts which were more complex than what I wanted for dinner drift away. I could lose myself in crappy reality shows and snack on endless junk food. This was way better than going out any day, although I wouldn't really know.

 

Later that evening, we were sitting at the kitchen table, plates piled with Chinese take-away, the best kind of food there is. "

We have a new neighbour at the bottom of the garden.” Dad informed me. I simply nodded, chewing on a chunk of tender chicken.

“There’s a boy, around your age. Called Liam, I believe.”

I looked up, curious as to why this was important. This Liam wouldn't have any effect on my life. I wished I could have more friends, but it just wouldn't work.

“I don’t want to see you talking to him, Nat, he looks like trouble. Please stay away from him.”

Of course, this boy wouldn’t be any different. Dad was just being wary. I twirled some noodles around my fork, mumbling: “I always do.” 

© 2014 Katie Reichelt


Author's Note

Katie Reichelt
Welcome to the first chapter of Knight Of The Night! I know it's short but I had to finish it there for the next one to work. The next ones will be longer, I promise. Please vote, comment and continue reading. Also feel free to critique or tell me how to improve (in a kind manner) - I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on July 27, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014
Tags: Romance, love, secret, starcrossed, forbidden, night, firstlove, teen, struggles

Author

Katie Reichelt
Katie Reichelt

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm Katie, a teenage girl from Britain. I enjoy writing in my spare time, although have only ever written (the start of) one novel. I would love to improve and share my stories with others. Asid.. more..