The Domino Effect

The Domino Effect

A Poem by T. L. O'Neal

The Domino Effect

Written by: T. L. O’Neal

 

Does anyone ever think about

all the choices that they make?

How it affects other people’s lives,

what they will be when they wake?

 

Does anyone ever thinks what happens,

when they abort a child?

All the generations that are lost,

the souls that are exiled.

 

Or when one is murdered in cold blood,

gone from their families; lost are their words.

Will their soul be damned to hell,

and their thoughts never again to be heard?

 

What happens when you breakup your family,

and the different paths that you take?

Is it a good decision or bad,

will their sprits grow or will they break?

 

When a bird’s egg is broken,

in time what will be lost?

Will the sky go barren,

Is it all worth the cost?

 

If you break one’s spirit,

and take away their dreams.

Does it make you feel better,

and lift your self-esteem?

 

Break someone’s will,

and puncture their soul.

Do you take the responsibility,

for your part in the role?

 

At what cost are your decisions,

when put into play by hate?

Does it make the world a better place,

and your life easier to relate?

 

Everyone has a choice,

in which direction they go.

The path you choose is yours,

to make friends or foes.

 

Sometimes in the choices you make

you can’t change things back.

Life moves on without you,

see now what your life lacks.

 

What good is it to gain the world,

if you lose your very soul.

Is it a good trade off,

what is your spiritual toll?

 

Choose wisely your path,

from now till the end.

Because it affects everyone,

living in love or sin.

 

If something good happens to you,

do you pass it on to another?

Make the world a better place,

and that person a brother.

 

Everything that you do,

or everyone you neglect,

has reactions… good or bad,

it’s called the domino effect.

 

© 2008 T. L. O'Neal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very thought-provoking questions and ideas.

I am quite amazed that you have not been the cyber-equivalent of dive-bombed by angry vultures over the abortion stanza. Any time anyone calls me on my beliefs in that regard (I am anti-) I just quite simply say, "Have you ever had an abortion? If not, shut the hell up because you have no idea based in reality of what is the actual cost."


Everything we do does affect others. Choosing one avenue ends the possibilities that a different choice would have afforded. Careless words maim relationships. Selfish decisions maim hearts. Everything interacts.

Very profound, my friend. ;-)


Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Everything that you do,
or everyone you neglect,
has reactions� good or bad,
it's called the domino effect.

I'm so used to seeing your witty stories that I had to read this several times, so much thought is here, so many things we should all ask ourselves, and yes, I am a believer in what goes around, comes around.
Many moral issues that can be talked about, and of course, some will disagree regarding abortion which is always a hard topic to cover, thinking of little souls in exile is hard, and having had 4 miscarriages I don't think God would allow any little one to be in exile, it is the hardest thing i think to take that step, but you have a point, there are always two sides in that topic!
A great write, and one that leaves you thinking.



Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this one T.L. You are quite the philosopher and there are many good points to think about in this poem. The last stanza remind me of things my brother used to say about passing on the kindess you receive from others to everyone around you. Good job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

Very thought-provoking questions and ideas.

I am quite amazed that you have not been the cyber-equivalent of dive-bombed by angry vultures over the abortion stanza. Any time anyone calls me on my beliefs in that regard (I am anti-) I just quite simply say, "Have you ever had an abortion? If not, shut the hell up because you have no idea based in reality of what is the actual cost."


Everything we do does affect others. Choosing one avenue ends the possibilities that a different choice would have afforded. Careless words maim relationships. Selfish decisions maim hearts. Everything interacts.

Very profound, my friend. ;-)


Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.

This poem is deceptively simple in its plea to think. If we thought about all the issues from all points of view it could get acrimonous.
My belief is that it is very difficult to conceive of all the rammifications of an action like breaking up a family, how we affect others and so on. So, it is much more simple for most of us to just concentrate on how things affect ourselves and this is not such a good thing. Selfishness naturally leads to greater implications for others. And we should care about others more.

If i may play Devil's advocate a while.
For abortions and exiled souls: One could argue that aborting a foetus that is heavily disabled frees the soul from a life of suffering. This is an extension of the euthanasia debate. That said, those who choose euthanasia for themselves are adult and mentally able to make such decisions. A foetus cannot. So, we must play God. Killing life should never be an easy thing to do (like it is with modern warfare technology and the US marines who've compared it to playing video games).
Killing a healthy baby is something i am against but as a man, in this world, i have no say in the matter if a partner chooses it. There was a discussion in a biology class once about men's rights in abortion. Everyone one in the class save me voted that men should have no say in abortion because its the women's body. Fair enough. But, i voted for my own motion of that the expectant mother should at least discuss it with the father even if he has no say in the matter.
Anyhow, i digress as usual. Your poem was reflective and interesting and as i said could produce interesting debates about our ramifications, morals and actions.


Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

T.L., this is a wonderful, thought provoking piece, and it is so very true that our choices, both good and bad effect everyone around us. I think it is sad when we make selfish choices without taking into consideration others and how it might effect them. We can be so impulsive and are so prone to going off of our feelings and living for the moment. Unfortunately, that gets us into trouble time and time again. Then you have those that play the blame game..."It's someone else's fault...yada, yada, yada....." They aren't willing to accept responsibility for their actions, and truthfully speaking, we have all done that at one time or another because it is hard to take a good hard look at the truth and admit when we mess up-that we did. Anyway, I am running off on a tangent. I could go on and on. Great write. You shared a lot of good food for thought here, and it has obviously provoked a lot of feed back. Thanks for sharing this, my friend!

Blessings to you and yours, Carole

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

i like this scriptural language here, speaks like a teacher, didactic in tone. and the way the stanzas are fixed are Confucian in style, so you have here a blend of spiritual fervors.

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

true. even our words go out ahead of us and wait to either help us or trip us...as our actions do....well written - profound poetry here. it sunk to my core.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.

I am at a loss for words in reading this poem. So true. Nicely done. Great Write

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 7 people found this review constructive.

TL... you did poetry! Me too... heheh. Kinda nervey thing to do but you have wonderful rhythm in this and a perfect poignancy to set up questions and direction within each line. A great big high five to you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.

Wow man, you truly can write a poem! To me, this piece shows just what our choices really mean. Indeed, for every action there is always a reaction. Great write!

What good is it to gain the world,

if you lose your very soul.

Is it a good trade off,

what is your spiritual toll?


Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1220 Views
52 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2008

Author

T. L. O'Neal
T. L. O'Neal

In the sticks, NC



About
I started writing as a way to work out my feelings and found that I enjoyed it very much. I enjoy humor and feel that you can find it in most things, even though it may be hard to find at the moment. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo