The Call To Courage

The Call To Courage

A Poem by Chris Taylor
"

A trumpet blast for the need of courage.

"

The Call To Courage

a poem by Chris T.

Even though the chatter of my teeth can be heard for miles,

And shake of my bones is like a dead man’s rattle,

When more resolve is needed for my trials

I can still hear the faint call to courage.

For it’s trumpet is blown with love and grace,

Singing a melody of faith that endures.

When I feel just stuck in my place,

The call to courage is sound and true.

For, the Lord’s courage stabilizes weak knees and quivering lips.

It gives a coward the faith to hope for the thing unseen,

The salvation that lies just out of reach; that we didn’t even know was there.

Courage activates in me a fixing of my eyes.

Up into heaven from which the only help will come,

My eyes will search with anticipated joy.

I am a watchman at my master’s post;

Who waits eagerly for His return.

The Lord’s courage can take me into the burning building,

Even though ever fiber in my body tells me to stay put.

Oh merciful God, you alone have strength,

Power worth delivering and might that never disappoints.

I will bless your name; for you are willing and able,

To unleash these concrete boots and send my feet a flight,

Into the daily fray, if I’ll answer the call to courage.

© 2012 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
Philippians 1:20 “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have
sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body,
whether by life or by death.”



Courage, such an over used word thats definition has been blurred over time. Today, true courage is lacking in so many people. We lack the courage to be disciplined and are often ruled by our stomachs and desires. We walk on the other side of the proverbial road when we see others in need. Or, we christians have a sudden deaf ear to the Holy Spirits direction to serve someone else who might look not like us. Many folks are riddled with unnecessary drugs because we lack the courage to face our problems and get help. Sadly, today most men in the home, if they are there at all to participate, don’t have the courage to lead their families in a godly lifestyle.

Where today, are the people who will stand up for what’s right; like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego? They would not bend down to any idols. Having courage and faith, they knew they had to do what’s right; even unto death. What an example of courage to hold firm and still!

I used to go to church with a man named Frank. He had similar health conditions like me; but much worse. I remember his joy, they way he was faithful to God and his family; even though his health had gotten worse and worse no matter what he did. Frank had the courage to put one more foot in front of the other and make special the remaining time he had left. Did he have moments of confusion and doubt? I am sure he did; but I will never forget his courage and faithful witness. His “Job-like” example gives me the hope that my courage will mature in me due to Christ’s sacrifice and grace.

This is not a Vince Lombardi-like pep talk. I will not scream it directly at your face. Jesus is there for you, YES, you. He is there for the thief, the liar, the murderer, the cheat, the broken, the abused, the actor and the saints. He takes a wilted flower and pours His water of life on us so we will never wilt and die(John 4:14). If we are to change our homes, our streets, our countries and the rest of the world, we have to be willing to take the courage that Christ gives us and be the impetus. We need to start the change, knock on some neighbor’s doors and introduce them to Jesus. If we only had the courage to undertake that journey.

The Great Plains Poet, seeker of God’s courage and obedient to the call.

Please enjoy the poem, comment, subscribe and most of all, tell others what you heard here today. God bless you all as you take courage to live what is right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In todays society it's hard to have the courage to stand up and say, "yes I believe in God, I believe in Jesus and I read the bible everyday."
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your poem, it was well written and had some great imagery. I also loved the scripture in your authors note, along with the story about your friend from church who, although suffering, held true to his beliefs.
(I do my best to share the Good news with those around me, but sad but true, most people in their 20s seem to be either athiests or agnostic)
Thanks for sharing :) God Bless

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

I also agree with your comment about people in their 20's. It is not our job to convert them, that's.. read more



Reviews

In todays society it's hard to have the courage to stand up and say, "yes I believe in God, I believe in Jesus and I read the bible everyday."
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your poem, it was well written and had some great imagery. I also loved the scripture in your authors note, along with the story about your friend from church who, although suffering, held true to his beliefs.
(I do my best to share the Good news with those around me, but sad but true, most people in their 20s seem to be either athiests or agnostic)
Thanks for sharing :) God Bless

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

I also agree with your comment about people in their 20's. It is not our job to convert them, that's.. read more
A powerful and beautiful poem. Faith is the way to a good life. We must have balance and belief to know peace and happiness in a life. Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


I did something today I haven't done for a long time. Went to church at one of the five Roman Catholic churches today in my town. The sermon talked about act as witness for Christ, and he said Catholics tend to be quiet and need courage to act on and by their faith. He also mentioned some from Francis of Assisi, "Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if needed" (my paraphrase). You do that here with words as I think you act in your life away from here.

Nice job, worthy read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


very inspiring words...

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

409 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2012
Last Updated on August 4, 2012
Tags: Abednego, Call to courage, deadman's rattle, God, Jesus, Job, John 4:14, memory stone, Meshach, pep talk, philippians 1:20, poetry, prose, Shadrach, The Great Plains, trials, vince lombardi

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Perfect One The Perfect One

A Poem by jhed


Somnolent Moon Somnolent Moon

A Poem by OT


The Edge The Edge

A Poem by Tasha