My Waffle Brain And Your Spaghetti Thoughts

My Waffle Brain And Your Spaghetti Thoughts

A Poem by Chris Taylor

My Waffle Brain And Your Spaghetti Thoughts

by Chris T.

 

I once learned that we don’t think the same.

Because, I like the compartments that organize my brain.

You like to weave many subjects into one;

Like the intertwining of a bowl of spaghetti that never seems done.

 

My waffle mind, each with a compartment to fill.

Then I check off each one until I am still.

You love the chaos of a multifaceted mind,

Sometimes changing many subjects at a pace that would make one blind.

 

My thoughts can move with the speed of a dot matrix printer.

The genius you command runs like the legs of a sprinter,

Moving in perpetual motion on a three-dimensional highway.

The frustration you must feel to think of it my way.

 

The male mind with its grunts and guffaws,

Lacking in communication, we seem just to use our paws.

To strike out, push hard and hit til it hurts.

Most of us afraid to venture from behind our mommies skirts.

 

 The mind of a woman with its proclivity for love,

For most of you will mend the wing of a sorrowful dove.

Forsaking the evil of planning and plots,

My waffle brain and your spaghetti thoughts.

© 2011 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
I was listening to my local Christian Radio station last month as I was traveling to work. The subject they were discussing was how the male and female brain are different in the way they organize and use the information they receive. They stated the man’s mind is like that of a waffle, each with its separate compartments. Us men like to have bits of info filed and filled into each appropriate compartments and we like to stick to the subject that each compartment is holding at the time. That’s why ladies, when we are focused on a particular subject, and you ask us something that is not along the same lines, you get that empty stare from us, we just don’t know how to handle that. Our brain was still in the previous waffled compartment. We don’t usual change subjects at a lightning like speed, like all you ladies are very adept at doing. Later, they began to say how a woman’s thoughts are like following a noodle in a huge bowl of spaghetti; a massive continuous piece that twists, turns and inter-loops at any direction, at any moment. While I was hearing this humorous and thought-provoking message about the differences in men and women, the Lord spoke to me about a wonderful passage in 1 Corinthians chapter 12. It speaks about how God has made us all different, and how much we need each little part of us to make a whole body of believers. I particularly love this passage from 1 Corinthians 12:14&15 “Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.” Also, verses 18 and 19: “But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be?” Finally, verses 26 and 27 as well: “If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”
This is usually a chapter that speaks about spiritual gifts, but I feel it does a great job of commenting on living in peace with all of our christian brothers and sisters as well. So, men, ladies, don’t fight over our differences. Don’t draw up battle lines and go to war about the things that God intended to be contrasting in the first place. We can sometimes sabotage our relationships with our help-mates when we criticize, or try to change, the nuances of the other person to make them a graven image of what YOU desire in yourself. Stop wasting valuable time on this earth and celebrate how wonderful God made your helper. Now, I’m not talking about keeping a closed mouth about character flaws like: sexual impurity, cheating, lying, stealing, those things need to be discussed and prayed through. I am speaking about the silly little arguments we seem to get in because each person in a relationship is constantly trying to change the other one to make themselves feel more comfortable. My wife and I used to spin our wheels doing this very thing. God showed us that it was a huge waste of our time and to pray for and cherish the things that make each of us unique. God always has a plan. He is never surprised and creates things in His perfect wisdom. So, don’t fight it, appreciate it for what it is: Waffle brains and Spaghetti thoughts. lol

God bless each of you that follows this blog. Please feel free to comment, subscribe, re-post and share with others what you read here today.

The Great Plains Poet, accepting of others and waffled-brained man.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A charming poem; no doubt, endearing the author to most women.
Since I no longer, however, have a woman to answer to, I am quite free to point out that the multifaceted female mind is often curiously incapable of properly refolding a common road map; can almost never come close to an acceptable parallel park and rarely appreciates the comic genius of "The Three Stooges"--a most egregious deficiency.
In any event, this lovely work is stark indication that you, Chris, very much love your wife. That, I will not make light of.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like this! It is so very true. Keep up the great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hahahah! Truer word were never spoken :) I loved reading this and I laughed quite a bit after I was done. It's just so true that we think so differently about things and sometimes I'm surprised we can communicate at all. When I'm talking to my boyfriend sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a caveman and the only way to get him to understand is pointing and grunting. God made us operate in different ways for a reason. I think He made men think in simpler ways because they need to have a clear mind to lead. Not saying women can't make great leaders, we just over analyze things and we have to train our minds to think that way, while with men it comes naturally. I loved this poem so much! thanks for posting :)

Also, to Frank James Davis, I would like to say I can parallel park better than most guys, I love the Three Stooges (and John Wayne) and I have accomplished the tedious task of properly refolding a common road map, which I am sure also gave you some grief. Not all women are the same, and I can proudly say that I am not like most women. Not that your comment was offensive, I just want to point out that you shouldn't always file women under the same, slightly sexist, views that everyone always does. If you don't underestimate them, and give them a chance they probably will surprise you :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


a charming poem and author's note

Posted 12 Years Ago


We women like to change subject in a heartbeat and men try to keep up, but it's kind of impossible unless your part woman. That's why I like to say that women have their own language because you have to be a woman to keep up with us really. I liked this, it explained men and women brains as well as teaching me something new today. Bravo!

Writing keeps the dream alive
~V~


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this poem. Your words are true. What I see and my wife is different in all things. I enjoyed the way you explained the two separate thoughts. Thank you for a outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good piece here!! Good job

Posted 12 Years Ago


The words flowed beautifully. An excellent poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem aptly describes how my poetry comes about. I like how you weave Scriptural references throughout your explanations.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really love the imagery you used in this poem. Extremely creative, Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1218 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 19, 2011

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Wicked Son Wicked Son

A Poem by Thea


Not Today Not Today

A Poem by Thea