Later that afternoon   Chapter 6

Later that afternoon Chapter 6

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

An eventful afternoon

"

 Chapter 6

Later That Afternoon          

Adam got up to go to the gents. He had been the butt of jokes the whole morning, some said quietly and some pretty indiscreetly. He didn’t catch the snigger Tony gave Ralph. Tony was sharing the same cubicle with Adam. Ralph was seated across the aisle at one of the work stations on the island cluster of 8 tables.


“Mr. Personality is now going to his real office where he belongs.” Tony whispered loudly to Ralph as soon as Adam was out of earshot.


“I’ve never seen such a goof as him this side of this hemisphere.” replied Ralph.

“Ah, give the poor guy a break, you know you must be nice to newcomers.” said red headed Gloria who was seated beside Ralph.

“You’ll make him cry if hears you two. But mind you he does seem like a real dope doesn’t he. Ha ha ha.” Gloria burst out into laughter.


As Adam passed the photographers section, he knew he wasn’t too popular with them either. The three sitting there just stared at him with disdain. He felt their hostility and his shoulders hunched low as he entered the toilet. A few minutes later he left the gents and was back in his seat at his cubicle. He couldn’t figure out people, they all naturally didn’t like him. But Daniel seemed a bit different and that pretty girl, Lynn, was something else.


Just then Adam noticed a scrap of paper on his desk. He unfolded it and a note was scribbled onto it. It read, “You have been voted the ugliest and nerdiest writer of the year. Congratulations.”


Adam’s heart sank when he read it. He felt all harassed. He felt pinpointed. He could feel the tension building up in his shoulders as he crumpled the paper and threw it into the waste paper basket. Across the aisle he thought he heard someone chuckle. It was Gloria.


 Just then Daniel appeared and called out, “Staff meeting, in 10 minutes time at the main meeting room. You too, Adam.”

At 4.22 pm the entire staff including the sales staff of Blakeleys Publications, were seated at the main meeting room. Adam managed to get a seat beside Lynn but he pretended not to notice her. There were 43 people including Richard crowded into that room. There were 20 people just seated at the long oval meeting table alone.


“Okay people, we are now at least 3 days behind schedule for 4 of the magazines. We have got to pick up the pace and I want things on schedule by next week. Daniel, I want you to re-plan the business and finance magazine to reduce by 2 1/2 full pages of advertisements. Anyway, let me remind everyone that the publishing business is going through lean times world wide and we are not unaffected either by the world economic crisis.  Although we haven't been hit hard yet like in America and Europe doesn't mean we don't have to pull up our socks. Do I make myself clear. There was a pause. And oh yes! We have a new trainee writer on the team. Everyone welcome Adam!”

But no one said anything.


“I said everyone welcome Adam,” Richard repeated.

Daniel quickly cut in. "Welcome aboard.”

Lynn followed and said,” Good to have you here Adam.” Apart from that there were a few giggles and coughs only, and then silence.


Adam started to feel embarrassed and wished that he was anywhere else but there in that meeting room.

Richard appeared a bit troubled, he paused a moment, recovered, looked at Adam and said, “Adam, I’m sure you will do well with us, just do your best.”


The meeting, dragged on for an hour and a quarter. Adam was conscious of Lynn seated right beside him. He hardly caught half the things said at the meeting. He couldn't help smelling her light perfume and he caught the outline of her profile at the corner of his eye. She was irresistible, especially when she was so perfect. Adam wished that he wasn’t so ugly or so stupid and fat. Then he would have a chance with a girl such as Lynn.


After the meeting, everyone filed out of the meeting room all talking cheerfully full of relief that it was all over. Adam hobbled out of the room still pretty much affected by Lynn’s close proximity to him throughout the meeting. He seemed even more preoccupied than usual with his thoughts that he did not even notice Gloria. She was making fun behind of him by pretending to walk like him in his hobbling manner.

Daniel saw the gag and couldn’t help wanting to laugh but decided against it.


At the writing staff room, most of the people there begin packing up to go home. Daniel noticed Adam was the first one to pack up and leave. Daniel waited for most of the hustle and bustle to be over. Then he decided to make his move.

He walked over to Lynn’s garret and peered into her room. She was also about to leave too. He knocked on the door that was ajar. 


“Yes, come in.” answered Lynn.

“Hi, Lynn.” Daniel wished her as he entered the small graphic design room. There were 3 desktops on study tables, one on each wall of the room. Posters, pictures, newspaper cuttings and pin boards filled the walls while a row of windows with venetian blinds covering them faced the entrance to the room.


“Hi, you still around, Daniel.” Lynn replied with a big smile. She was seated at the centre work table cum drawer cabinet in the centre of the room.

“Yes, had some files to sort out before I leave,” he lied.

“Like to grab a cup of coffee. I know an interesting cafe at Little Burke Street.”


“Eh, sure that sounds great.” He tried to sound nonchalant but he was in actual fact delighted with her overture. In fact Lynn didn't know how delighted he was.


I didn't even have to ask her. She practically stole the words right out of my mouth.


“It's an old Italian cafe. They serve a great cappuccino.”

“Tell you what, you lead the way and I'll buy the drinks this time. That includes those Italian pastries that go with them.” replied Daniel.


“Are you sure?”

“Yup!” he answered, “as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.”

Got to say something witty.

“Will it?”

It worked, Lynn giggled and said, “It won't even cost you a little finger, I promise you that.”

Daniel laughed.

“Okay, can I meet you at the entrance in 5 minutes?” He questioningly suggested.


Mustn't sound like a male chauvinist.


“Cool.”


Minutes later Daniel was at the foyer. Sam the 50 year overweight security guard was on duty then, seated behind his desk. Daniel was having a couple of words with him when Lynn came along through the writing staff door.

“Sorry to keep you waiting Daniel….. was at the ladies for a short spell.”


“No, probs!” Daniel answered cheerfully, “Sam has been entertaining me. Haven't you.”

“Yeah, I've been telling him about my days before the battle of the bulge, heh, heh.”

“Oh, not that one again Sam.” Lynn teased.

“See you later Sam.” wished Daniel.

“Bye.” wished Lynn.


They took the lift and 2 minutes later were down on Queen Street. They walked side by side along the stone pavement heading towards Little Burke Street.


Daniel who was 6 feet even stood a full 7 inches taller than Lynn even though she was wearing 2 inch heels. In his left arm was his coat and he was carrying his brief case with his right hand. Daniel was every bit the guy next door too especially with his good looks and straight brown hair. His ‘Country Road’ long sleeved light beige shirt matched his light brown cotton slacks. She was dressed in pastel blue blouse and cream long pants. They really seemed a matching pair as they walked down the street.

“Hey! Do you always walk so fast? panted Daniel.

“I see someone has not been keeping fit.” chided Lynn with a giggle.


“I am fit, just that it seems more like we are catching a train rather than going to a cafe.” defended Daniel.

“Don't worry you won't get a heart attack at your age.” Lynn chuckled.

“No, but I might get a hernia or maybe worse, a double hernia.” Daniel continued panting, their footsteps sounding hard on the pavement.

“Why, a hernia? Why not a stroke or a brain anuerism?” teased Lynn.

Daniel thought for just a moment. Then he answered.

“Because it runs in the family.”

“Oh”.


They turned into Little Burke Street and walked westwards. 5 minutes later they were inside Papa Del Fiore's cafe entrance. They found a table for 2 by the window with white and red checked curtains and matching table cloth. There was a single red rose in a white vase on the table.

“Strange, I've passed this area dozens of times but I haven't seen this place before.”

“Do you like it?” asked Lynn.

“It's nice, although a bit quaint.” quipped Daniel.

“Quaint!?” hissed Lynn with a deep frown. She was a little bit upset.


“Okay….. it's authentic.” replied Daniel as a peace offering. He noticed this was the first time he had caught Lynn frowning. He liked her frown. It was just another cute aspect of hers.

The conversation carried on. The cafe was half full. It was 6.15 pm. already and more people were coming in.

He was seeping his cappuccino when he looked up at her.

It was hard to believe, here was Lynn, the sweetest girl in the office let alone that he had ever met in his entire life, seated 3 feet away from him.


He could tell she was a natural blond by her eyebrows.

 Her blue eyes were something to behold. He couldn't help but gaze into them as they spoke.

“You do a bit of jogging. Don't you?” asked Daniel.

“Yes, in fact I belong to a health club.”

“Oh, that would explain the “Chariots of fire”, coming to this cafe.” teased Daniel who was at his wittiest just then.

Lynn giggled, “No, it wasn't. It was far from the “Chariots of fire.” She pretended to frown.


“Okay, okay. Let's change the subject. Where did you do your studies?” Daniel asked in a serious manner. His voice was manly and clear.

“Oh, it's interrogation time. Is it?”

“No….. Just curious.”

“Okay, I studied at PLC from year 1 to year 12 and did my degree course at RMIT. And have been working since then for over 3 years.”

“Oh, you were a grammar school girl. All private and nice.” teased Daniel cheekily.

“Yes, I was and I hated every moment wearing those silly green uniforms.”

Daniel chuckled this time.

“Where did you study?” she questioned.

“Oh, I went to a state school in Geelong called Bell Post Hill High. You see my folks weren't rich like some people's folks are.”

“Oh no,” quipped Lynn, “you can't pin that on me.”

Daniel chuckled again.

“Later I did Journalism at Deakin.”

“I heard you are a Christian.”

“Yes, I became a Christian at 17. Before that I was pretty much out of control.”

“Can't picture you as being less than a gentlemen,” she replied with interest.

“Thanks, that's a compliment for someone as rough around the edges as me.”

Then she brought out an issue.

“Anyway...... please watch out for Adam,” said Lynn showing concern.

'Why do you say that?”

“Because I had a cousin like Adam once,” she shared. “He was sensitive, quiet and had a soft heart, just like Adam has.”

“How do you know Adam has a soft heart?"

“I can tell.”

“What happened to your cousin?”

Lynn hesitated for a moment. Then she answered.

“He died.”

“How did he die?” asked Daniel cautiously.

She hesitated for a moment again. Then she replied.

“He committed suicide about 9 years ago.”

There was silence. Then Daniel broke the silence.

“I see.” gasped Daniel. ”I'm sorry.”

'It's okay.”


“Anyway, the others are giving Adam a hard time. I overheard some of the things said. They weren't very nice.”

“Okay....... Thanks for telling me this.”

“But you seem to have a soft spot for Adam too.”

“How do you know?"

“I can tell by the different treatment you give him.”

“You're right about that.”

“I guess if there is anyone who can help Adam. It's you Daniel.” Lynn spoke with sudden seriousness. She was frowning very pronouncedly.


“Why do you say that?”


“Because you have the right attitude,” said Lynn and then she leaned over and chuckled,” and because you are a fool for nerds.”


Daniel could only say to himself how close and ironic to the truth those words were.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
Please review!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
In all honesty Chris, based on the few chapters I've read so far, I think you should start looking around for an Agent. This is first class stuff. Each chapter is like a brick, building the novel. It is written so well you wouldn't belive. So no false sentiment, start looking for an agent. If you get knock backs, well, that's just the market place. Eventually you'll find a person who see's not just the marketing poetential, but the sheer quality of your writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A nice chapter, the character discovery pulled me in. You have beautiful details and dialog flow like always. It’s easy to identify with you characters and situations.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the honest and good conversation over the coffee. I like Daniel concern for the new man. He had good reasons. The story is getting better and stronger with each chapter. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
In all honesty Chris, based on the few chapters I've read so far, I think you should start looking around for an Agent. This is first class stuff. Each chapter is like a brick, building the novel. It is written so well you wouldn't belive. So no false sentiment, start looking for an agent. If you get knock backs, well, that's just the market place. Eventually you'll find a person who see's not just the marketing poetential, but the sheer quality of your writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..