The Appointments    Chapter 7

The Appointments Chapter 7

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

Daniel has 2 appointments to keep

"

 Chapter 7

The Appointments

Adam was busy typing away on his keyboard. He had been working hard on his 12 articles the last 3 days. He had finished 6 of them and was in the process of finishing the 7th one. He was definitely ahead of time.


All this while, he had endured the occasional prank and snide remark from some of the office staff. He was actually used to this. Even as early as a boy of 13 he had to bear with this kind of treatment. For some strange reason or another he attracted the worse from some people and at the opposite end the best from others.


As for his present colleagues, Gloria just liked making fun of people, while Tony felt irritated by his presence. He just didn't like Adam's expressionless face. It was a pain to look at, much worse to talk to Adam with Adam's single word replies. Ralph just felt uncomfortable with Adam, maybe Adam reminded him of himself in some way.


Adam didn't realize it himself. But he found it hard to relate to others much less to trust others meaning social groups in general. He could never go with the crowd or with the flow. He was always looking for a one on one relationship. Three persons or more were a crowd. In any situation he was looking for that only someone special whom he could trust and depend on, his saviour, so to speak. In this case, could it be Daniel?


Mean time while Adam plodded away at his computer, Daniel was checking through Adam's articles.


Daniel went through them a couple of times, all 6 articles. Daniel was in deep thought as he rubbed his chin.

Daniel liked the style and flow. The subject matter was maturely analyzed and well constructed. Adam had also used the right technical business jargon to support the facts. The write up on Australia's future in relation to China's need for minerals to sustain their growth since the current world financial crisis was very informative and interesting. It was a literary work of skill and substance. Adam really did do his research thoroughly. Daniel shook his head slowly in disbelief. He felt grudging respect for Adam.


It flows. It actually flows. How does he do it?


Just then Richard popped his head through Daniel's office door and said, “Don't forget  our game of golf at East Malvern this Sunday.”

“3.00 pm. Isn't it?”

“Yup! I got to work on my chipping and putting. I don't want to loose another $10 to you again.” Richard stepped inside and swung with his arms together in a golfing swing.

“You were right about Adam.”

“Yeah…. what about?”

“That he is good at writing business and finance articles.”

“See, I told you it would be good to help him. The kid actually has a lot of talent.”

“I still don't understand his problem. He obviously has brains but it doesn't show except through his writing.”

“A lot of famous people were like that. Take that bloke Vincent Van Gogh, he was really talented. And what did he do? He went and cut off his ear and sent it to his brother,” Richard explained, “for Christ sake, Daniel, it's a crazy world we live in!”

“Richard, do you mind not mentioning Christ this way?”

“Oh, sorry mate, I kind of got carried away.”

“Anyway, to tell you the truth the others are giving him a hard time. He practically has no social skills or something is hampering them. He is 26, he should be having the time of his life. But he is so miserably inward and so.....”
“Weird.” continued Richard.

“Yeah, you could say that.”

“So what do you propose to do next?” asked Richard in a curious tone.

“I don't know but I know what I can do this weekend.” Daniel had something in mind. It was worth a try.

“What is it?” Richard was getting more curious.

“I'm gonna take him to some place that I know you yourself will stay a mile away.”

Daniel could not help grinning at Richard's puzzled look.


 

Adam was still busy on his article when someone called out his name in a gentle voice.

“Adam.” It was Lynn. She was smiling at him.

Adam looked up at Lynn who was standing in front of him looking over the glass panel of the 5 foot high cubicle.

Adam's mouth dropped open and didn't know what to say.

“Here's something for you. Promise me you will wear it,” said Lynn still smiling.

She handed him something. It was a crucifix on a chain to be worn around his neck.

Adam was dumbfounded as he received it. He couldn't speak. He didn't know what to say. He was both elated and confused at the same time.

“Don't worry Adam you don't have to say anything. This crucifix will keep you safe from evil and even bad people.”

Adam managed to say something.


“Th...th...thank you.”


He wanted to say more but the words couldn't form in his mouth.

Lynn chuckled as she noticed his predicament.

“You are welcome. You really remind me of someone I once knew.” Then she turned around and walked happily back to her garret.


Adam kept his promise and straightaway wore the chain with the crucifix around his neck. He studied the crucifix. it was about 2 1/2 by 1 ¼ inches and was pure silver with Gothic artwork. Even Adam could tell that it wasn't from a nickel and dime store but actually something of some value.


He was not sure what to think. Did Lynn like him? Or did she pity him just like all the rest in the past. And what did she mean by him reminding her of someone she once knew?

“Adam!”

Adam jumped up. It was Daniel. Daniel took a deep breath, looked him in the eye and said, “Adam, I would like you to come to church this Sunday.”


Adam didn't know what to say again. First it was Lynn, now Daniel. He hated going to church. To him it was a torture to be there a couple of hours each Sunday. There were 1001 places he would rather be on a Sunday morning.


Adam was repelled by the idea of attending church, worst still with his immediate boss.  

“Here's the address and the time is 9.00 am,” Daniel quipped and handed a piece of paper with the details scribbled on it to Adam.

“I would be very happy if you came,” continued Daniel assertively.

Adam struggled with himself. His face wasn't exactly expressionless now.

“Well?”

Adam was still speechless. Daniel seized the chance.

“No answer, so it's a definite yes!”

Adam feeling trapped, gave in with his shoulders drooping and said.

“Okay, Daniel.” His head slightly bowed down.

“That's fine. Good on you Adam.”

Daniel walked away, turned around and said, “Be on time!”



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
Advise needed!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice read, no trip ups on the dialog. Combine with the previous chapters, the reader gets a nice view of the every day office life and the poor torment of Adam’s life.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the description of Adam's work. I like how you described the people in the office. Daniel is making the transfer to the new job easier and possible. A very good ending to a excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..