A Beautiful Life

A Beautiful Life

A Story by Christopher Paul
"

A short love story.

"

It was the best evening I had in a long time. We walked along the beaches under a star lit sky with nothing showing us the way but a pale moon light. We shared the laughter as we talked about the past. A slow walk not wanting it to end too fast. There were smiles on both our faces. Not a care in the world. Nothing to distract us. It was perfect. I found a quiet place with no one around. Taking her hand I knelt to the ground. She looked in my eyes as I in hers while I sang the words 'Earth angel, Earth angel, The one I adore' I pulled her close with my arm around her waist 'Love you forever and ever more'. Gently I spun her around, 'I'm just a fool'. As our eyes met 'A fool… in love with you'. We closed our eyes as we kissed. A kiss we have both longed for. 5 years away from her lips felt like an eternity. A tear rolled down my check. A tear of joy, a tear of sorrow. A tear wishing there's no tomorrow. 

 

I opened my eyes to a feeling of Déjà-vu. It looked and felt exactly the same. 30 years ago on this very beach, maybe this very spot, I took her hand with our friends and families a watch, I promised to love and cherish her for as long as I live. We were married here. Her eyes had the same love as it did 40 years ago. It hadn't lessened, it had grown. The warmth of her hand, the smile on her face, I remembered the promise we made to stay together for now and forever. A promise that to this day we never broke. We stood still with the moon light upon us exactly like at our high school prom when we sneaked out to the roof to have our dance under the moon. 

 

I took her by the hand, we continued our walk. She lay her head on my shoulder as we began to talk. Walking alone the open silent road filling the air with the sounds of our laugh. Just her and me. We were lost in our little bubble for all the world to see. But our walk was cut short as we stopped at a metal gate. I felt her hand on my check, turning my face to hers. I looked at her, she smiled at me. Knowing what was coming next I tried to look away. She kissed me on the cheek and whispered goodbye. Our journey had ended but I wanted her to stay. I felt her hand leave mine as she walked up to the gate. Looking back I heard her say 'Thank you for a beautiful life'. But before I could say anything I felt a hand on my shoulder and a voice from behind 'I knew you'd be here tonight Mr. Patrick but now it's time to go home'. I looked back and she was gone. I got in the van with two men waiting. One of them said '5th time in a row?' as they put my straitjacket on. I looked at him and with a smile I replied 'It's our anniversary'. As the van drove down the road, I looked out the window and said 'Thank you' as the cemetery went out of view.

© 2016 Christopher Paul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This story highlights some of the most potent emotions felt by mankind, including love, loss, and despair. One of the first things it brought me to was the story of Pixar's "Up", although the ending of course fives this story its own life. Some suggestions I'd make if you were looking to make modifications may be to add some sensory descriptions -- how did the sand feel, what did her perfume smell like, etc. Small details like these in moderation could serve to provide more texture. The story leaves me with one question, however, and that is why would the protagonist need to be straitjacketed? Visiting a grave seems like a natural behavior to me. Other than this point, the prose has a very important story to tell about love and identity lost.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Paul

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review and "Up" was actually one of my inspirations for this story. I had.. read more



Reviews

Oh this is so haunting and beautiful. The twist ending was implemented so well, it's actually very inspiring! Keep writing! You're great at it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is amazing. Really emotional and beautiful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. That was sweet. I didn't see that ending coming.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This story highlights some of the most potent emotions felt by mankind, including love, loss, and despair. One of the first things it brought me to was the story of Pixar's "Up", although the ending of course fives this story its own life. Some suggestions I'd make if you were looking to make modifications may be to add some sensory descriptions -- how did the sand feel, what did her perfume smell like, etc. Small details like these in moderation could serve to provide more texture. The story leaves me with one question, however, and that is why would the protagonist need to be straitjacketed? Visiting a grave seems like a natural behavior to me. Other than this point, the prose has a very important story to tell about love and identity lost.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Paul

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review and "Up" was actually one of my inspirations for this story. I had.. read more
such a sweet and beautifully written story. It brought tears to my eyes and the sentiment was wonderful. I also love the little twist in it as well. a bittersweet piece

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Paul

10 Years Ago

First of all I'm so sorry for my late reply and thank you so much for the lovely review.
Jace Fox

10 Years Ago

It is ok no need to apologize and you are very welcome for the review

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

528 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 1, 2013
Last Updated on September 16, 2016
Tags: love, loss, tragedy