Countdown

Countdown

A Story by Naps
"

Everyone has a set amount of time

"
Day.Hour.Min. 01:03:47 As he smoked his cigarette he had little concern for the "Time Keeper" on his left wrist. He didn't like the advances in science that brought them to existance. All his life he watched the time wind, he hated it. When he turned nineteen he tried to have it removed. For him all the excitement of life was gone because of this, "Why bother with people if you knew what was coming?"
Hour.Min.Sec. 11:31:42 He slept in and was late for work. The fourth time this week, no way that he would keep his job. His excuse was s**t but it was the only one he had. Partying the night before. His head throbbed with every pump of his heart. The smallest sound would be as if the largest Gong on this planet was being played right next to his head. To deal with the blinding light that came with the hangover he wore sunglasses, even inside. (Yes he's that a*****e today)
Hour.Min.Sec 11:07:59 His personal belongings were all placed into a box and he was escorted out of the building. He accepted his fate. He fucked up, no hiding it. He sat on the curb outside waiting for a taxi. The city has evolved since he grew up. Their were a grand total of 10 operating cabs in all of Chicago. The majority of people payed for a Hypertube membership and used that for all transportation. His Hypertube membership was cancelled the second he was fired. So he sat and waited.
Hour.Min.Sec. 5:27:49 A cab finally drive by...but already had passengers. So the wait continued.
He pulled out his pack and lit a cigarette. A very out-dated habit that only he and his best friend shared. Without looking at his Time Keeper he remembered what happened when his friend's cluck finally struck 00:00:00. Now his friend, Jake, is trying to quit smoking, something they promised eachother they'd never do. Moving out of their shared apartment and only stopping by on occasion. They used to love talking about rebellion and "F*****g the government", but now Jake was always happy. Which unsettled him, they would talk about real things. Things that are depressing and important, but now his friend shunned from those topics.
He thought "F**k it whatever" and took another drag.
Hour.Min.Sec. 01:00:11 A empty cab finally made an appearance. The city was mostly quiet from 9AM-5PM because most everyone now-a-days worked or had a place to be for those hours. It was almost 4:30 and he decided instead of heading back to the apartment he went to the mall a couple blocks away. Why? To look for a job. He never liked office jobs, the sedentary life disgusted him. So he looked for a job where he could stay on his feet. Preferably a retail store or a fast food joint.
Min.Sec. 31:01 He had set up job interviews at 6 locations in the mall and was very satisfied with his work. So he begun his walk back to the apartment.
When he walked he enjoyed talking to the locals. He stopped and had as many conversations as possible. The conversation made him grow spiritually and mentally. A ten minute walk could easily become fourty-five.
Min.Sec. 2:24 He finished up his final conversation (discussing if history truly repeats itself and are there any examples of this) and began to climb the stairs to his apartment.
As he turned the corner out of the stairway he saw a figure. Long flowing golden hair, thick beautiful lips. Female. She had an hour glass figure with long smooth legs. Her heels gave her two and a half extra inches. Her gray tank top tucked into her black skirt. She stole his gaze and did not return it. He imagined settling down and having a life with her. Buying a house, making love. Dropping their kids off at school for the first time and the last time. Then for the first time in four years he looked at his Time Keeper the numbers read 00:000:00 as bit-con fireworks flared and hearts pumped.

© 2016 Naps


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on June 1, 2016
Last Updated on June 1, 2016
Tags: Countdown, Clock, Love

Author

Naps
Naps

CA



Writing
While Lonely While Lonely

A Story by Naps


Rugby Jargon Rugby Jargon

A Story by Naps


Cigars Cigars

A Story by Naps