Silence Is Not Golden

Silence Is Not Golden

A Story by Christian N. C.
"

Ironically before I got into star signs and astrology and discovering that I'm a Leo. Lions have always been my favorite animal.

"
Silence. The whole land is silent, it's almost deafening.
The sunlight is strong, a rich fiery gold, scorching the open plains.
No water for miles, no mountains, no hills to be seen.
Just empty, golden grass. But with a careful set of eyes and ears, we know.
We know that these plains are teeming with life and beauty but also death.
Theses are the hunting grounds, if you listen you can hear them moving swiftly through the grass almost as silent as the breeze that kisses my fur.
Out here, you're surrounded at all times, you might not realize it, but they're watching. Always.
Don't make any sudden movements! if you make the first move! if you try to run!..
Well, you most likely fall right into their trap.
The smarter of us know better, the ones who survive but also the ones who are hunted the most. The others don't need to be as afraid, some can fight back, some are big! but all we can do is run and hope we don't get backed into a corner.
Avoid traps, like the one we're in now.
We can't find our water hole, they spent days and nights pushing us around and away from water, they own so much space.. We could run for weeks and still be in their territory. They finally pushed us away, we have food that we can eat, but it has to be done carefully, slowly and quietly.
Each one of us lives in fear that it's our turn next, that we are the new target, the new weakest link. Even though we've made it this far. We all are cursed to eventually be looked at as the target prey.
We have to- NO! we must stay together. If one of us wanders off when we're on the run you are the new target.
--Silence--
A sudden crack forces my heart to race!
we all respond by running, together in the same direction
"run, run, run" I think to myself... but no matter how hard I push all I see is the backs of my brothers, sisters, friends, children... It must be my time.
As I fall further and further behind.
My eyes are dizzy from the heat, lack of water, my family's black and white pin stripe pattern is causing me to be dizzier than ever.
Finally... A sudden leap and quick but loud roar! I have no time to react to my injured ears, that roar was horrifyingly loud. I have no time to move out of the way, I fall to the ground.
She has me by the claw and teeth... My leg.
I couldn't run even if I tried at this point. But i'm alive.. Why?
They're all surrounding me, growling, drooling, hungry.
Then He appears.
The leader, the one we fear the most i'm terrified of what he could do to me that his hunters couldn't.
For a moment looking at him I forgot he was hunting me, I understand why they call him "King" and "Leader of the Pride" He's beautiful, graceful and looks ferociously strong.
He leans down to my face, part of his golden mane touches me, its so soft and... pure.
His eyes meet mine and just for a moment, it seemed as though there was sorrow behind his eyes, as if generations of Kings like him wished that survival didn't require so much blood... But it does as he flashes his fangs and lets loose the mightiest roar I had ever heard, after that I can barely hear anything at all. But it will all be over soon.
He leaps in and then the rest of them are upon me, my eyes never left His face.
My final thoughts "I'm glad Death is so beautiful."

© 2015 Christian N. C.


Author's Note

Christian N. C.
I realize I may have a few grammatical errors along with punctuation. But please let me know what you think of my first short story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think a couple revisions and this would be really good! Very interesting concept

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christian N. C.

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your feedback:)
Sydney

9 Years Ago

you're very welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 20, 2015
Last Updated on April 20, 2015
Tags: Nature, Environment, Africa, Lion, Pride, Silence, Gold, Death, Life, Beauty, Leo

Author

Christian N. C.
Christian N. C.

Syracuse, NY



About
College Student I feel as though I want to create something that has purpose to me. I've never really written anything unless it was a school assignment before. But I figure its as good a time as any.. more..

Writing