Song of the Night

Song of the Night

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Lyrics written for and for the music of the late Dennis Martin Fletterich!

"

SONG OF THE NIGHT

 

Song of the night,

Sung alone through tears;

Song of the night,

Sing of passing years.

 

          Across the night,

          Your voice sang to me;

          Deep in the night,

          You had broken free.

 

I heard you, on the wind,

And I searched for you, my friend;

Standing silently outside,

Heard the memories your heart cried;

Wanting just to hold you,

Make your world fresh and new,

While watching you fly away,

Searching for another day.

 

          Into the night,

          I was drawn to you;

          Lost in the night,

          With my dreams of you.

 

Saw you and was amazed;

The dying heart of you ablaze;

Set your sweet song afire,

Climbing to spaces ever higher;

Wanting just to hold you,

Make your world fresh and new,

While watching you fly away,

Searching for another day.

 

          Out of the dark,

          You stood in the light,

          A lonely lark

          Flying free, at night.

 

Song of the night,

Sing of passing years;

Song of the night,

Sung alone through the tears.

© 2010 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
This song is the true story about the stormy night when we met. We were, both, tent camping, for the season, on opposite ends of a campground. I was two months pregnant and my marriage had ended. I heard faint John Denver music and figured that someone was playing a tape, but Dennis made a mistake and started the song over. I walked to his tent, in the rain and in the dark, and stood outside for a very long time listening to him and getting drenched. He had no idea that I was there. When I heard him putting his guitar down, I asked, "Is that you playing that?" He was quite surprised and said, "I didn't think anyone could hear me." Well, from that point on, we were crazy about each other all summer, but neither told the other. Wondering whether we would ever see each other again, at the end of the camping season, we both confessed our love. We had twelve years together and, when my youngest son was born, I named him after Dennis, Dennis Martin Shanaberg (who can, also, be found on this site.) We had a daughter together, Sarah Amanda Fletterich.

I loved you, Dennis. You will, always, be missed. You were really something!

Dennis was and will continue to be my "Song of the Night. . . !!"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Jeez lady you're making me smile and making my cry at the same time. This is a very good piece of work. The note should be set to poetry all by itself.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful wonderful poem that brought tears to my eyes. I can feel the emotions.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poem is beautiful. I believe good thing come to someone who is kind and strong in heart. Sometime bad things teach us to appreciate the good things. I like the feel and emotion of this outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is beautiful... a bittersweet melody... and your author's note.. so very touching.. What an amazing story.. truly.. Thank you for sharing something so deeply personal... at a loss for words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a beautiful story behind the lyrics.
A lovely tribute to a loved one.
Music makes things happen!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

387 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 1, 2010
Last Updated on May 1, 2010
Tags: Music, Song

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..