The Lion

The Lion

A Story by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Written for my two oldest daughters, Charisma Suzanne (Shanaberg) Sullivan and Robin Renee Shanaberg! A true story!!

"

THE LION

 

One day, I was driving down the road, with my two daughters, in the backseat.  They were giggling and the sounds of happy play filled my car.

 

Suddenly, an argument broke out.  Oh, no, not again!

 

My youngest daughter, Bobbi, cried out, "Mommy, Chari took my lion!"

 

I told Chari to give it back and she snapped, "No, it's my lion."

 

"It is not."

 

"It is to."

 

O'kay, that was it.  I reached my hand over the seat and demanded, "Give me the lion."

 

I felt a hand touch my hand, but no lion.

 

"I said, give me the lion!"

 

Chari chuckled and said, "I did."

 

That was it; I pulled the car to the edge of the road and looking at Chari, with anger, because of the defiant chuckling.  I shouted, "Give me the damn lion!"

 

Chari continued to chuckle and said, "I told you that I already did."

 

Now, I looked at Bobbi and questioned, "Alright, where is the lion?"

 

"Chari gave it to you," Robin said, with her innocent eyes sparkling.

 

I showed them my empty had and said, "Look no lion."

 

Robin smiled a bit and, sweetly, replied, "Mommy, it's an invisible lion.  Can we have it back, when we get home?"

© 2010 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
They just don't teach you about these things at "Mom School." LOL!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a nice, cute short story. You portrayed everything in a vividly simple way. A feet which is hard to do well. I think you might get a little comma-happy at times, but it doesn't halt me as a reader. Also, I stumbled a little over "happy play." I'm not positive, but it might need to be hyphenated. It's probably just a me thing, so don't give this comment too much thought. Overall, very cool. Great storytelling.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Haha, fighting over an invisible lion. How cute are kids! Its sad that people tend to lose their imagination as they grow. I'm holding on tight to mine! Nicely written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great job here. This cracked me up big time. you cant write stories like this from make believe.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh I love this!!! Got 10 "young 'uns" (some of them not so young anymore) myself and the orneriness is very vivid. Wonderful story. Been there; done that with "Give me the damn lion!" Thanks for sharing that. It gave me a quite pleasant ending to the day.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The straight forward style of relating the short story was appealing and highly readable, holding the reader’s interest till the end. I agree there are just too many unnecessary commas that make for distraction! With fewer toys and more open wilderness around, we as children had wild imaginations that occupied much of our play time. We even had imaginary people who were very active in our lives and the imagination of the one interacted with the other children. So this story was highly appreciated by me and brought back a gem of the past that did not allow for boredom in children! Enjoyed this one!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awwww the joys of motherhood! LOL You portrayed this episode in such a vivid way that I felt like the mom in it. Maybe that is because I raised 4 children of my own and I learned to expect the unexpected.

This is a really cute story your daughters will no doubt cherish as they grow older.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

They were fighting over an imaginary lion, that's so adorable.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Short and sweet; I like this piece, and I was laughing at the end. Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

That's a very sweet and cute story. It sounds just like something kids would do, have a invisible lion!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Simply adorable. c:
Very well done, in a style that is perfect for the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The 'invisible' lion reminds me of how my daughter would refer to her 'dessert stomach' which always seemed to be empty. Great piece Chris, no techs.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1020 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2010
Last Updated on May 11, 2010
Tags: Children, Imagination

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry