Don't You Cry for Me

Don't You Cry for Me

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Written for my late cousin, Mary Root, who faced her death with great courage and a desire to move on!

"

DON'T YOU CRY FOR ME

 

I raised my head, from my death-bed,

Though I could but barely see;

They had taken my specs away;

     I swiped away the tears, you had shed;

     Oh, Hon, don't you cry for me;

     All men are ordained to pass this way;

This is a time for me to move on

And you must release me to another place;

Wish me well, in the world where I'm going;

     My love for you will never be gone

     And you have memories of my face;

     What I've reaped, I will be sowing;

I will take a piece of you with me,

'Cause your love is branded upon my soul;

It's time to wipe my earthly slate clean

     And become what I shall, now, be;

     Don't linger long 'round my coffin's hole;

     Let's just pray, my new existence is serene.

 

© 2010 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
We, all, love you and miss you, Mary; I know your new existence is serene.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is interesting. Your emotion rang through very well. I don't understand the indents though. Was it just to separate the 3 line stanzas? At first, I thought it was a conversation, and was confused, but I quickly realized it was not. Other than that, this is a great piece. Very compelling.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A wonderful tribute to your cousin Mary's strenght of character. Moving and caring as it dwells on life after death.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What I've reaped, I will be sowing;

The line is meant to the reversed from what is used by christian's here, in this world. I feel that you sow the seeds of your life, the entire time that you are here and, upon death, you must reap your crop and take it with you. In your new existence, I believe you will have to sow, again, that which you reaped from this world. Excellent observation, Ellen Hammond!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a lovely tribute to late cousin, Mary! So many fear death right to the end but it seems Mary had no fear, only a desire to move on.

I really like the reversal of the line we often hear: "What I've reaped, I will be sowing;" as it indicates a continuing life after death in which she could so the love and wisdom she received here.

And I love the line: "'Cause your love is branded upon my soul;" It says so much and that is what this life is about...or should be about....I believe.


Thanks for sharing Mary's wisdom and courage with us in this wonderful, inspiring way.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this. I know how hard it is for people to let the dying go, so this piece really spoke to me. I could see the emotion of the speaker through this. Great Job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice work Christina. It is hard not to linger, and hard to let go.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like this, i feel a great source of wisdom. To tell you the truth I don't know if i should feel something with this. I am sorry. I like your write though.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This didn't only speak about acceptance of what was coming. There was faith behind the words. And, the persona's perspective of things was astounding, taking the situation he was in into account. Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A nice poem that connects you to your cousin. I've struggled with the reversal: what I've reaped I will be sowing. Otherwise, I'd say this is a bare bones poem that sticks to the point and expresses feelings well. Nice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very touching and very beautiful. Mary sounds like a wonderful person.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An obviously heart felt piece. It allowed me to share in the tender moment of acceptance. I am Grammar handicapped so i dare not even ponder on what may or may not have been done. i can only judge the quality by the emotions it evokes in me .By that standard this is stunning work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1412 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2010
Last Updated on May 13, 2010
Tags: Death, Courage, Mourning, Religious

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..