Death, Black, and Blue

Death, Black, and Blue

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

How many more young men and women have to die?

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whom will be the next victim of your war;

My son or, maybe, your sweet daughter

Will return home tagged, as to who

Needs to be draped with Death, Black, and Blue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Make sure the flag is folded, quite properly,

Before you hand it to the grieving family;

You want to shove it in their tearful faces;

You're the power; taking kids, without any traces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My baby died in your ridiculous foreign war,

Never knowing he was a hero and so much more;

And, Mr. President, is it all that you can do

To cover my child with Death, Black, and Blue.

 

Mr. President, whom do you think you are,

Offering our sons and daughters your war,

When we hoped for them to have so much more.

 

Take away your flag of Death, Black, and Blue;

Give us back our glory of Red, White, and Blue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How many more dead children need to be carried by you, before you realize that yours might be the next?!

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
If this is freedom, we might as well all be dead!!

My youngest son, Dennis Shanaberg (active, on this site,) is not dead and not involved in the war, presently. My oldest son, Terry Thomas Shanaberg, died as an infant.

I was writing for those whom have lost their children!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I went to many funeral of friends. Poor Soldiers have been paying for sins of bad leaders for many years. No worst feeling to hear "tap" played for a fallen Soldiers. A powerful poem. I agree our Soldiers are for defense. Not policing a religion war which few can understand. Time to bring our boys and girls home. We can't police the world. Thank you for the powerful and sad poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i really think this poem is poignant....and i agree with Art...oil is a bad thing...

it is behind so much...but government wars? ugh.

i'm from the 60's and we protested our war...and many friends went there and most came back different, really different...and what was it all for?

i read this poem and thought of Donovan's "the Universal Soldier"---

really good work here.

jacob

Posted 10 Years Ago


sad...and sadly we must watch the repetitive vote to fight against those who are thought to be the evil of this world...oil is a wicked thing...it drives the country into paranoia and then the politicians strike with their pens...and just like you and I and All those who have either lost someone or gone off to war, sit and watch our children, family, and friends coming home...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Powerful Write!! This poem shows power and fury of common people's voice. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with piece of work. I am not a pacifist by any means, but I am a libertarian who believes in a voluntary army only. These wars have to stop as they cost us human life and countless amounts of treasure. Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love your strong and caring voice in this poem, very nice pen upon this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A honorable poem detailing the most tragic events a family member might have to endure. So many young lives our lost in war and it isn't necessary while on the other hand they pay the ultimate price for our freedom. Still I disagree with war entirely. I wish there were other ways to settle our differences.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is so sad to think about these heroes and their families when they pay the ultimate sacrifice, the pain they must endure. Many have served more than one tour of duty. So many of heroes have come home to such sad circumstances of broken bodies and minds from the war. Many who are able bodied can't find a job to support their families or even find a home to live in. This is so unacceptable. We need to thank our veterans every day and help where we can. The worst of it all it shouldn't have happened at all. Our government doesn't seem to have a clue that the cost of this war among other things(arguing like children) on capital hill is why our country is in the mess it is in and they don't seem to get the point. Oh well, THANKS FOR SHARING, this important issue.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Unfortunately they have stopped counting Christina.

We need Jesus to make the blind see but what about those with good eyes who veil their heart?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
And you have voiced a majority of poeple who find the whole foriegn war especially difficult to shallow..this is not home defense anymore (never was) this is politican decision based on money and control of wealth..sad..very sad

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is amazing..The pictures really add emphasis on your already powerful words..I love how you still remain patriotic through it all with this line .."Give us back our glory of Red, White, and Blue." Such very strong words coming from a mother that has been through so much and I applaud you for that. I completely agree with you concerning this write and I think that it is beautiful in the saddest of ways. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome work..xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

509 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 2, 2011
Last Updated on September 3, 2011
Tags: Motherly Love, War, Death, Destruction, Love, Mother, Son, Daughter

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..