Hope Found Me

Hope Found Me

A Story by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Written for my friend, Stoney!

"

Hope Found Me

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wish that I could tell you that this story was made up or someone else's, but it is mine and it is true.

 

In the winter, five years ago or so, I became homeless after a co-worker and a friend tried to kill me; he went to prison for four years.  My sentence to homelessness lasted three very cold months.  I lost my home, my car, my job, my boyfriend, my family, and my youngest daughter.

 

At 2:30 p.m., a friend took me to a homeless shelter (called Harmony House) in a strange town to me, Mansfield OH, a town covered with snow.  Around 5:00 a.m., the next icy morning, I had a job at Labor Ready, a block away.  At Labor Ready, you get paid cash, daily, after standing in line at 4:30 a.m., in the frigid air.  And, being one of the few whom could pass the drug test, I was in like Flint.

 

I, being a fifty year old woman, didn't find a job there, everyday.  So, I went to the library computers and was trying to pass the lonely moments.  A gentle man was sitting next to me, with headphones on, and started laughing.  He put his headphones on my head and let me hear what he was laughing about on "FunnyJunk.Com."

 

He, Stoney, invited me to church, the next morning.  Needless to say, at this particular point in my life, I wasn't very happy with God.  However, I met him at the corner between the homeless shelter and library, the next morning.

 

Then, I found out where God was leading me.  The church was called City Church, on the Mansfield Square, and they had a plan for me that I still reflect upon.  They were all about "community out-reach."  After everything that I had been through, all I could do was volunteer.

 

When I was not working, I was with Stoney passing out meals and clothes to the homeless.  Some were begging for gloves.  Hope had found me!  I was so sad and so happy to be there.  Stoney stood by me and kept me involved.  He was like a savior.  Meeting me, every Sunday, for church.

 

I had lucked out and got a steady job at Kerry Foods and was making flavorings for StarBucks Coffee.  I still make them, in my sleep.  It was a very clean factory and the boast that sent me home.

 

I still remember Stoney and the hope that his faith gave me.  I heard from him, while writing this piece.

 

I am not sure what this tale will mean to you, but "Hope Found Me."

 

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
What more can I say, Stoney found me! He is still my friend.

After Zawny's review, I came back and put very personal information in my Author's Note, until my mother read it and told me that it didn't belong here and I removed it.

I can tell you, after attending every trial for over a year, the one question I had remained unanswered and that was, "Why?"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sweet story and well done for getting it out there. The story to me is great as it is - crisp and to the point. I imagine this was your aim. However, I would like to see a little more detail.

Why did your friend try to kill you. Did he kill your daughter? Did you become a Christian?

Did you fall in love with Stoney or anyone else else during your time served at the charity?

This would be a great sequal. Hope did indeed find you in your hour of need!! Thank you



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

HiI loved the story so heart heart wrenching as it was I live in Marion not 40 miles from mansfield do you have a woman named renee little blond in your church A runner I think who works for corrections?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

some of us get easy to find, at the bottom...angels live in the hearts of people...so pleased to know you...a testament

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A touching tale of hope realized and inspirational to all.Sometimes in life a gentle point in the right direction is all we need,top marks : )

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1056 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 4, 2011
Last Updated on September 7, 2011
Tags: Hope, God, Godlinesss, Outreach, Charity, Love, Brotherly Love

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Promise The Last Promise

A Story by TJ


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by TJ


Character Character

A Story by TJ