Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Christina May Shanaberg

Chapter One

 

The morning came crisper than summer air, in late September.  Not unlike the slap she had given me, the night before, when in a drunken craze I had called her "a w***e."  I knew that she had been with other men, before me, but not since.  Still a bit angry with me, Rachel smiled with beaming delight, while securing the masts.  Happy to be going anywhere, anywhere but where she was.  Her red locks blew about, in the wind, and I saw her green eyes looking at me.  She was so alive and free!  We were going to make history and we were going to make love along the way.

 

The sea lapped at "Misery's" hull, like thirsty dogs lusting for water.  My lovely Rach stood tall, as if she were an angel standing on an altar.  She knew what to do and was set on where she was going.  Our black labradors, my Sir Jasper and her Hastings, were flanking her on either side, as if guarding her from some invisible monster.  The very beasts that had introduced us on a London street corner.  I was busy, with making our ship aright.  But, her beauty left me breathless.

 

Damn those crazy piglets of hers running around and through my feet, what were their names; oh, yeah, Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod.  She felt that they were a necessity for the trip; however, I was about to throw those damned hogs overboard, along with her chicks, her goats, her seeds, and her books.  She had packed everything to turn an island into paradise.  All that I needed to turn an island into paradise was her.

 

The reason for wanting to make a world of our own and the reason for wanting to be here all came back to me.  To see her looking into the lonely sea; to see her looking to a time of living on Dark Crystals with me.  She loved me with a love no man is worthy of having.  I, barely, could see anything at all, except for her.  Looking at her beauty, became my all and my reason for living.

 

I knew that the first time to take her and make love, upon our ship, was coming.  I wanted it to be a night that was unforgettable.  Something that the world would never forget.  Don't believe that we were, both, virgins.  This would be our first time, alone, at sea, and free.  A new first time.  A chance at a new beginning and, if lucky, a happy ending.

 

The howl of September wind brought us back in focus, again.  We had to tighten down the hatches.  The wretched wind howled and the sea became angry.  I was committed to prevail against the sea and her sweetness was beside me.  I saw fright in her eyes and hope that I would be her savior.  Heck, I was running around, wondering where my savior was.

 

In danger, we were snuggled in a crazy closeness.  I was exhausted running from deck to my broad.  She didn't complain, but just looked frightened.  She sank into  a corner and I wished that I was another woman, who could cower there, too.  I had to be the man, until the world settled over us.  We are in for one hell of a night; I hoped to love her, in her fright.  Even in fear, I was a man, afterall.  If I didn't have two brains, I would have none at all.

 

God had a diffferent plan, I wrestled all night with an ungodly force.  Was I insane to take out on such trip, with the most precious being on the planet.  I was the man and I hoped that some man would come to help us.  Rachel cried and we thought that we would be dead.

 

Misery was o'kay, but limping a bit.  Now, Rach looked out at the water, but she looked like she wanted to jump in.  What  were we doing out here in the middle of the open sea, waiting to swallow us.  Rachel, my dear Rachel, forgive me for thinking that we could live free and happy on some silly island.

 

Good first night, I thought.  Rach is never going to make it.  Geez, I was scared, too.  We have to make it.  I want to sail my love to paradise.  Or,  are we just sailing into a crazy dream?!

 

O'kay, Samuel O'Keever do you want to live in paradise with Rachel Tufts?  You have to stop being afraid of a little rain or wind.  You have to take control.  You have a wonderful ship named "Misery" and she is taking you to a place of hope, called "Dark Crystals."  Keep sailing and stop whining.



© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
Inspired by Eagle Cruagh's "The Island of Favoro."

Not done, yet, but will enjoy your comments. Come back and see how it grows!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good first chapter. I will be waiting for number two.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your opening details are lovely and help the scene burst open with beauty.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good opening chapter. I like the feel of real life and conflicts. I like the storyline and the characters. You started the story strong. I look forward to see where the story is going. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 28, 2011


Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing