My Son Lost the War

My Son Lost the War

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Faded, Forgotten Heroes

"

My Son Lost the War

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You returned my son broken;

A young, sad war token;

What was my baby fighting to win;

Just a chance to see his mother again?!

 

Was it all about your oil;

Was grease your victory's spoil;

My son watched his friends die

And all the nation wonders why.

 

 

          

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our country is not mad at anyone,

Unless it is you, Mr. President;

You try to spread your war like the flu,

However, we know what is your intent.

 

Leave our sons alone, I say;

They don't want to take lives away;

My son is baffled in dismay,

Wondering what he fought for, anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can you give my baby back

Or, as a President, do you lack

To stand by whom carry the sore

Of your ridiculous, political war?!

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A sad poem. I remember when Bush was President. The mother who lost her son waited at his gate for a reason for his death. He would not come out to talk to her. These are the men in-charge. I don't have a reason for us to be in the Middle East. Except wealth and oil of course. Iraq went from a country with amazing cities to nothing for the greed of rich men. I try to help many friends who saw death and had to deal with decision of life or death. I pray these wars end. Soldiers support to protect their country. Not fight for oil. I agree with your poem. I went to my friends daughter graduation last summer. He was killed in 2004. He would of been a good grandfather and his kids lost a father. Thank you for the powerful poem. You asked the right questions and nobody in Washington will answer.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a heartfelt write and my heart goes out to anyone who joins the war machine and thinks his/her actions will make a difference. We know now that it is all about world bank control. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hitler taught me war at four
Since then I've learned no little more
And do not like who's keeping score
I'm a tired vet and sick and sore
And now the Persians threaten for
Another stupid endless war
Let's arm the politicians
I'll follow them (I'm sure!)

Posted 12 Years Ago


My Dear Writing Friend Ayarinarqe Ak’allar(aq) Nalik Uilingiataq,
Once again you speak the truth through written words, very well done. Your write brought to the forefront of my mind the song titled, “War Pigs”, by the band Black Sabbath. Below I quote their words from this song.

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds... Oh Lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor, yeah

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'till their Judgment day comes, yeah!

Now in darkness, world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs of the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of Judgment, God is calling
On their knees the war pigs crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan, laughing, spreads his wings
Oh Lord yeah!

Yes it is done for OIL and POWER! And our daughters and sons are chewed up as cannon fodder so the War Pigs can have it their way!

cannon fodder
noun
Soldiers regarded merely as material to be expended in war.

Might it be time for us to tell the War Pigs fight your own wars and we all refuse to go fight for them? I am proud of you son. I am proud of all the daughters and son’s who have been sent out as cannon fodder. I pray that some day the War Pigs will craw on their knees begging for mercy, I just hope none will be given to them. I guess you now know where I stand on this subject.

William Laughing-Bear


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I must agree in principle. I have also seen much of "The Hurt Locker", an excellent piece about the sick reality of war and how some men thrive in that environment. As a brother of an Afghanistan veteran and a son of an Iraqi veteran, the family side of this piece strikes at me deeply.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Once read to my horror that Man is meant to fight wars in order to keep the planet's population down .. it made me sick, still does.

Your poem is one of the greatest anti-war writings i've read in quite a while, undoubtedly because it comes from a mother. It could be written by an Afghan mother cos wherever mums/moms live they fear for their sons and daughters' lives, praying for them, yearning for them to come home safe and sound.

Thing is war has a terrible effect on those who fight it. And all the while, the politicians, the leaders, sit at their desks behind closed doors pouring out what they think are sound reasons for war, say that action is honourable when nine point five out of ten, they're not. What's being done is for gain, in this case, oil means money and that means power.

So very sorry .. ranting: your poem really reached into me. Heart and spirit sends you hugs, Christina.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Many come back yet none can never fully come back from a War
this write hits the heart and if it doesnt the reader doesnt have one more than empressed great work and honestly just perfect in every sense

your voice is strong in this and the pain echoes in every line.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Me
thought-provoking write.Thanks for sharing:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Governments make wars...people make friends...so why do people institute governments to run things when we know that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely? I wish we had a democracy...I'd love to see a democracy in stead of the capitalist oligarchy which rules America now. A democracy would be where every vote counts and the majority rulles.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sadly war is part of this life Christina...it shatters lives and leaves thousands with nothing but dark nightmares to deal with, families are ripped apart and death still touches those who have been sent to fight for the political gains of greed...nice work on bringing this to the forefront with your poetry...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is an amazing poem. My history teature used it as an example today in lessons. She said idt was an outstanding example of empathy. Nice work

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

996 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 14, 2011
Last Updated on November 14, 2011
Tags: Hero, Heroes, War

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..