High Notes

High Notes

A Poem by Christoph Poe

If I could play

Sounds through words

I'd be playing them now.

Like the strings of a violin,

I'd awe you

With such smoothness.

Effortless vibrations

Rising on falling under the heat

Of a rigid string.

The horns would stretch their necks,

And howl at the golden chandelier.

The flute,

It's body so nimble,

Will scream its own tune,

Struggling to be heard,

But heard sorrowfully none the less.

Cellos bow

Like the gentlemen they are.

They are the weeping higher power

That all fall upon.

The drums open their mouths,

And doom a broken society.

The symbols clash

And try all rise.

Every corrupted piece.

And fall in harmony.

© 2013 Christoph Poe


Author's Note

Christoph Poe
A bit of inspiration drawn from a series of classical music.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Just a few small things.

1) "It's body so nimble" --> * Its

3) Your imagery is inconsistent in places. At first we get a sense that this music is difficult because the speaker tells the audience that he would be playing "if he could", but then the vibrations are "effortless", but then they suddenly transition to "struggling" and "try[ing] to rise". The poem is certainly more interesting if there is a theme of struggle against various forces, or even a struggle to exist, so I would recommend revising the "effortless vibrations" line.

4) "Like the gentlemen they are" is redundant. "Like gentlemen" is sufficient to communicate the simile, though generally good similes work even better as good metaphors. I'm not sure how this fits into the overall tone of your poem, though. Try to expand it, show how even these gentlemen are struggling.

5) Since you're choosing to use punctuation, make sure you use it to clarify your lines and not complicate them. (e.g. "Every corrupted piece. / And fall in harmony." are both sentence fragments and are jarring to the reader in a bad way.)

Overall, good work. Keep at it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Blake

10 Years Ago

I saw something slightly relating to grammar...how could I resist?
Christoph Poe

10 Years Ago

I'll probably be coming back to you with questions too. Lol
Blake

10 Years Ago

Wooh! Questions! ...about what? Grammar? 'Cause if it's grammar, I'm cool with that :D



Reviews

Poetry inspired by music...this is classic. You did a nice job with this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I'm really impressed with this piece. I find it lovely. I like the imagery a lot, and I think the personifications of the instruments as musicians is really effective. It's beautiful.

You really like using the broken lines and lack of stanzas don't you? haha. Not my style choice personally, but since it doesn't hinder this piece, I'll back off that. Though I do think breaking different instruments into stanzas would be really effective. I just can't help myself. :)

I see in a review below that there are issues with the word effortless and the strain used later on. I think you should keep it. As a musician, I can relate to the idea of both effortless and the strain in music. It sounds like it clashes on the surface, but I think it doesn't.
First of all, when you used the word effortless, you're talking about a violin. Violins, when played well (not the horrid squawking sound that I would make with a bow) DO sound effortless and smooth. It's an elegant, gorgeous sound. Effortless is a great word for it. I think "successful" or anything else would take away from that.

Second, when you use the idea of straining and struggling, you're talking about a flute. When I played oboe, I sat right beside the flute section and could hear them clearly, but when I played percussion or sax, it was always a strain to hear them. The flute is a delicate instrument. I find it simply accurate that they are straining to be heard. The word "screams" seems a little off though. Maybe something more feminine like shrieking would be more accurate. I'm not certain. That's probably just me being picky. Screams works fine.

I love your fragments at the end. It reminds me of fermatas that tend to come at the end of a piece of music. The musicians hold and the director cuts them off and then they start again.


Posted 10 Years Ago


Oooh! I play the cello, and plainly love music, so I love this piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Brilliantly penned, Sir Christoph.

Posted 10 Years Ago


loved this poem very well done the way words can flow like music it's true sometimes you can almost dance to a poem or just the reading of the lyrics of a song (provided it was written with good rhythm)
now i'm not a pro poet or anything neither a wordsmith by trade however i like the poem the way it is the so called redundancy sounds good to me spelling errors piss some people off but besides them who cares grammatical errors can be excused but the lack of such does make the poem easier to understand off hand but for those of us who don't like reading over and over that provides the perfect excuse to do so XD

Posted 10 Years Ago


sounds like an emo-goth song hahah nice

Posted 10 Years Ago


Love the comparison to the instruments and emotions :) great job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I've thought like that before so I feel you bro.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think you did a wonderful job with this. If you were playing an instrument to this I could totally hear it. Such a lovely poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


When I play my instrument, I tend to think of it as a person or at least having some sort of mind of its own so it was nice to see someone else write something like that. It just confirms that I'm not completely insane but that's just a side thought.
I liked it when I read it the first time, but once I saw that is was based on classical music I went back and read it again and that just made it better. I also liked how you kind of tied it into life.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

582 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 2, 2013
Last Updated on March 2, 2013
Tags: Music, musical, instruments, painting, sound, high, notes, vision, society, currupted

Author

Christoph Poe
Christoph Poe

Tuscaloosa, AL



About
Laughing might be my weakness, but my humor is the only characteristic that drives my positivity in this damned world. I'm a bit blunt at times, but always respectful >>and to be blunt, I expect respe.. more..

Writing
Last Last

A Poem by Christoph Poe


Alibi Alibi

A Story by Christoph Poe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cutlass Cutlass

A Poem by Frieda P


Burnt Edges Burnt Edges

A Poem by Frieda P