Level 1.7

Level 1.7

A Chapter by Church
"

The level experiences a sharp cut off.

"

It felt like he had been peddling for days now. Looking up, he swallowed hard. He still could not see the damn sun. Looking at his watch, he swore under his breath. It wasn’t even noon yet. 


One good thing had happened however. He had not heard any more of those mad screams. He did not know why exactly, and he much rather would not think about it. He just hoped that it wasn’t because they had found something else to take interest in. Or, more specifically, some one else.


His stomach lurched at that though. He stopped peddling, opting to just let his bicycle coast to a stop. He needed a break. Hell, he needed a drink. As his bike slowed, he reached back into his bag and pulled out a bottle of water. Unscrewing the top, he began to drink from it quickly. Wiping his mouth when he was done, he sighed before throwing the bottle back into his bag. 


Looking at the treetops again, he sighed. “D****t... What am I doing...” he muttered under his breath. He cast his gaze back at his watch. There was a little compass on the wristband. If he remembered correctly, he needed to go east. And if he wasn’t remembering correctly, he was throughly screwed.


One of the bushes near him shook violently. Jumping, Jim fumbled with his bag, trying to vainly get his crowbar out before a bird shot out of the bush and into out through the tree tops.


His heart now in his throat, Jim pushed the crowbar back into his bag. He hadn’t even completely pulled it out. If that had been another one of those madmen... Well, he didn’t want to think about it. 


That seemed to be a trend lately.


He needed to find somewhere where he could actually see his surroundings, see what was coming. He needed a clearing if he was going to take a break. Putting his feet back on the peddles, he pushed onwards. 


For an hour, there was no screaming. Hell, he barely thought. His mind was on auto-pilot as he peddled forwards. He didn’t really realize just how fast he was going. He simply kept looking at the compass on his watch making sure he was going in the direction he needed to be going.


So, when he suddenly burst out of the forest and was blinded by the light, he almost fell off his bike in surprise. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the sudden light. When they did, he realized just how glad he was to stop when he had.


He was looking over a cliff face onto a highway.


A highway full of stalled cars. He ran a hand through his hair. He had seen enough zombie movies to know that this was probably not the place to be. Not this soon after an “outbreak”. But, at least he hadn’t heard any howling.


And then his cell phone rang. 


His face went pale as he turned to pull it out of his bag. It only rang once. Text message. Okay, so someone with his number was still alive. Probably. And it was only one ring, right? There’s no way that was loud enough for it to actually attract any thing, was it?


And then there was a scream.


Pulling his phone out, he looked at the message from Nate. All it said was, “Holy hell, the zombie apocalypse? F*****g awesome.”


“God d****t...” Jim muttered, turning back to look at the highway.



© 2010 Church


Author's Note

Church
Yeah... my update schedule is crap. Sorry. Trying to fix it.

I did poke fun at myself a bit up there. Hopefully this isn't bad. It's been a while since I wrote last.

Edited due to... a really dumb decision. Phones? Yeah... right. If that was all it took, why didn't he just CALL the girl? Stupid...

Edited again. For now we'll keep the humor and see what I can do with this...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

674 Views
Added on July 15, 2010
Last Updated on July 17, 2010
Tags: Science fiction, fantasy, satire, humor, adventure, action, horror, zombie, aliens, robots, metafiction, apocalypse, omgwtfbbq


Author

Church
Church

NC



About
19/Male more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Church


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Church


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Church