"The Assassin"

"The Assassin"

A Story by Cinu~
"

A Story based on the Xbox360 game Gears of War. I use the point of view from an Assassin, the last remaining assassin for the resistance, or C.O.G. soldiers. He goes through with a mission to slowly take out important leaders of the opposing Locust army,

"

 

The Assassin
      The young man pulled a lever on the side of the gun, sealing the barrel of his rifle in the moonlit garden. The man was wearing black metallic body armor; he was carrying in his right hand a helmet to match. He wore a belt around his waist, dark black to blend in with his armor, and the belt had nothing but frags strapped in pockets for him; two smoke frags, one grenade. The rain had soaked his dark brown hair and was dripping over his emotionless and slightly tanned face. His dark brown eyes stared blankly as he pulled the helmet over his head and he gazed out the eye holes, covered in light blue glass. The rain poured down heavily, the drops of rain bouncing of his helmet. He clicked on the night vision on the helmet and walked toward the house.
     
      The man looked at his watch showing through on his right sleeve. It was 10:05 PM, Friday April 13 2365, after the human race was attacked by Locusts, lizard-like creatures who had inhabited the planet years before mankind. They surfaced and practically tore our world apart, waging it into World War X. The man had been hired from the few of the surviving resistance. He was to assassinate the commanders who would surface tonight, and meet in the mansion of which the garden he was in.
     
     
 
 
 
      The assassin walked up the vine-covered stairs leading to the front door and turned into the building. He stopped dead. The whole place was in ruins. Most of the walls had decayed and fallen in. Most of the roof, at least what of it was above the entry way/living room, was gone. What furniture it had was blood stained and ancient. The place reeked of blood and rotting flesh. The man shivered as he walked forward toward the stairs.
 
      He slowly and cautiously eased up the stairs, in between of which was the meeting place of the locusts. He reached the top and looked around. In front of him were two couches, facing each other, with a fire against the far wall. To his left and right were hallways leading to the front of the house, then smaller rooms to hide in. The hallways, however, were open and bare to the entryway and living room. He planned on hiding behind one of the pillars that held up the ceiling above the hallways. He walked to his left and took another left, slowly easing down the hallway, prepared for anything to fall…..or attack. Suddenly he froze and looked down at his feet. He was standing in a trail of fresh blood.
     
      He gasped, though through the helmet it sounded raspy and weak. He followed the trail with his gaze and looked at the end room, into which it led. He slowly inched down the hallway, his entire body shaking.
“Come on man, if you’re shaking already, you’ll never pull this job off.” He told himself. His body eased slightly as he neared the doorway.
     
 
 
      His grip on his sniper rifle tightened as he entered it. A small sigh left his lips, coming out in a scary, raspy breath-like sound. The room was dark so he could hardly see anything. It first seemed like a dead end, a green, square room with one over turned bookcase, the contents thrown all over the room. Then a flash of lightning lit up the room and the assassin’s entire body tensed as he saw the trail of blood lead to a puddle at one end of the room, leading to a stairway.
 
      Slightly shaking again the assassin crept toward the stairs and looked down it. He couldn’t see! He clicked on the flashlight above his eyes on his helmet with a button just above his ear. He wished he hadn’t seen the moment he saw the horror, his knees shook, barely holding him up. The blood trailed down the stairs and grew in amount. Then lead to a body of a COG soldier, a soldier of the resistance, like the assassin. The corpse was torn into shreds, a half of the head missing, the lower halves of both arms, and no legs. A large puddle of blood surrounded the soldier. The assassin shuddered as he teetered back and plumped to the ground, sitting in the blood, his entire body trembling. The only reason he was scared, was because the blood was fresh, and the soldier was a scout for him, only 10 minutes before he arrived himself.
 
     
 
 
 
 
 
      Suddenly the entire mansion shook harshly, a painting dropped to the floor and the glass shattered. An antique chair in the upstairs hallway tipped and fell to the floor below, shattering just like the glass of the painting. The assassin jumped up and shook his head. That was no earthquake. The entire planet never had earthquakes. It was locust emergence holes that did that. He quickly turned on his heel out of the room and hunched over as he sprinted down the hallway, bounty running around the corner to his right, pass the earlier couches, and down the next hallway. Breathing hard he dove into the end room and rolled a little, stopping as soon as he could. He eased out of the room and hid behind the pillar just outside the doorway, pressing his body against the wall as much as he could, taking a minute to catch his breath, hoping the wide pillar would hide him enough.
 
      The first of the commanders of the locusts crawled out of his hole, carrying his own dark red semi-auto machine gun in his hands. He stood up and revealed the hideousness of his features. His blood red pupils were like cat eyes, which glowed in the dark. His nose was a small lump on his face, made up of two vertical slits of nostrils. His skin seemed a scaly, greenish/brown color, very faded. He wore a helmet that covered his mouth and all around his head, ending at his neck. His eyes and ‘nose’ was all that showed on his head. The creature was wearing very light armor, but didn’t need it. Its’ skin was so thick it could prevent almost any wound from being severe. The creature slowly made its way toward the mansion, unaware its end nearing.
 
     
      The assassin looked into a chunk of glass in front of him that gave him a clear view of the front door. He quieted his breath, awaiting the locust. Suddenly he gasped in another raspy breath. The locust walked into the mansion and slowly edged to the stairway. The assassin slowly edged toward the doorway and hid for the time, still watching the glass reflection of the locust. He stopped moving. The locust was looking right back at him in the reflection. Can it see him? No, the locust continued looking around and stopped in front of the board room. He closed his eyes and breathed in through its nostrils, smelling the air. Its eyes darted open. The air smelled deeply of BLOOD.
 
      The assassin stared at it for a while before resting his right knee down and peeked slightly around the pillar, his sniper held close to him. The locust darted up the stairs and rounded the corner to its left. It saw the blood and slowed to a walk. Sadly, it took two more steps, and then stopped ‘dead’. The sickening ‘CRACK’ of gunfire broke the silence. Blood sprayed all over the wall, staining it permanently. The locust was still standing, holding the gun tightly in its hands, its’ feet balanced. Then its grip loosened as the gun fell to the ground, and then locust followed, falling to its’ knees, blood gushing out over the body. The locust raised an arm to stop the blood, but then fell forward harshly with a ‘thwu-thwump’.
 
     
 
 
 
      The assassin stood as he held his rifle pointing downward, brushing off the dust from his knees with his left hand. He walked down the hallway, made a left and continued around the couches. He walked down the second hallway and examined his handiwork more closely. Once he saw the locusts body, he smirked grimly. The body was soaked in blood, more blood still flowing from it, laying face down on the ground. He had pin-point accuracy. He had caught the locust just below the helmet, just above its shoulders. He had taken its head clean off, so clean, the locusts body still functioned without it, for a little while at least.
 
      The assassin strapped his sniper over his shoulder and then grabbed the body by the feet and dragged it down the hallway. He entered the dark green room and reached up with his left hand to turn on the flashlight. He dragged it over to the stairway and grunted hoarsely as the locust flew onto the stairs. It tumbled down the stairs and bounced off each step like a rag doll, seemingly boneless. As it hit the ground it landed on its shin sideways and with a sickening ‘SNAP’ the bone shattered. The assassin shuddered from the sound as he rounded on his heel and paced down the hallway, stepped with his left foot and kept his flow going to the right as he ran past the couches and again propelled himself around the second corner. He sprinted down the corridor and slid to a stop in the end room.
 
     
 
 
 
      The assassin crouched beside the pillar outside the room and held his rifle in his hands. He examined the beauty of it. The long black barrel, the far-sighted scope, the power of shooting a .49 caliber bullet 2,000 feet per second. It had so much power, if fired at enough distance, a single round could take off the upper half of a full grown human. Even then, it can fire accurately at 10 miles and yet be able to hit a target in its eye socket. He sighed softly, watching the door. The next four kills would get harder and harder each time. He wondered if it was a suicide mission. One man against 5 veterans?
 
      Once again the entire house shook violently. One of the cracked pillars tumbled and fell to the lower floor, crushing a chair below. The assassin tucked himself tightly against the pillar. He pressed his back against the pillar, facing the door. He held his sniper vertically against his body, hiding it; hopefully, from view. He then relaxed his yet tense muscles and watched the reflection of the front door intently.
 
      The next leader jumped from its hole, landing successfully on its feet, holding of what used to be an embedded in the ground turret of plasma rounds, like the earlier locusts weapon. It is to have strong recoil but this leader is strong enough to withstand it, as well as its skin tough enough that it needed no armor except yellow goggles for its eyes. The goggles gave the locust 10 times stronger vision of what humans call ‘20x20’ vision. He looked similar to the previous locust, except his muscles were more bulker than that of the others. He smelled the air and even through the rain he knew something was up. The mansion smelled of BLOOD.
 2 
 
            So much for being stealthy
 
      The locust knew something was wrong. The odor of blood was strong, aged and fresh. It planned on finding out why. As is walked slowly toward the mansion, carrying the turret tucked under its right arm. The creature figured that it would be a simple human, no threat. But even then, its muscles tensed as it neared the house, climbing the staircase.
 
      The assassin reloaded his sniper-rifle, silently clicking. He readied for the locust to enter as he peeked around the corner. It was still raining heavily outside. He clenched his hands into a fist, the knuckles cracking in his fingers. He let out a soft sigh of relief, only to gasp weakly as he hid himself behind the pillar once more, his heart racing.
 
      The leader walked into the building slowly, looking around at its surroundings. Suddenly it heard a light crack and flicked its head toward the hallway on its right. Lightning flashed and in that second the locust saw two glowing light blue eyes staring back. The assassin froze behind the pillar, breathing heavily, his heart he feared would pound out of his chest. The locust charged the steps, its eyes blazing with excitement.
 
 
 
      The locust rounded the corner at the top of the stairway and sprinted down the hallway. It flicked its head to a second to the right. Seeing no metallic figure, it entered the end room. But the second it entered the room, it pulled the trigger on the turret, slowly turning as it vaporized the room. After it seemed the room was covered in every square foot by holes the locust stopped. Then an explosion was heard from downstairs and it spun around, looking down the stairway leading from the room. It literally launched itself down the stairs, landing heavily on its feet at the bottom. It turned to its right and entered the room, examining the room slowly.
 
      In a small gap beside the stairway, the assassin stood, breathing heavily. That had come WAY too close that time. He eased himself along the stairway until he got out of the small gap. He eased his 5in. blade dagger with his left hand from its sheath on his belt, at the same time with his right hand he pulled a smoke frag from its pocket and slowly snuck up behind the locust. He backed against the wall opposite the stairs, before throwing the frag into the room. Smoke exploded from the room and the assassin threw his dagger across himself to his right hand.
 
     
 
 
 
 
 
      The locust grunted a couple times as it turned out of the room and toward the staircase. As it heard footsteps it turned around, but all too late. The armored human was upon him. The locust pulled the trigger and fired at the human. The assassin jerked to the right and spin kicked the gun from its hands, sending it crashing through the wall. Smoke poured in from the room and the locust backed up, only to trip and fall back onto the stairs. The assassin clicked the button on his helmet, changing to thermal vision.
 
      Immediately the assassin saw the hostile’s heat and slashed out with the knife. The blade cut the flesh on the locusts shoulder and neck like a hot knife through butter, sending blood spraying over the assassin, the wall, and the stairs. The last thing it saw was the light blue eyes glowing through the smoke, light from lightning reflecting off the sharp blade, and blood. The assassin watched as the locust clamped its hand around its neck as it slowly lost consciousness and dying.
 
      The assassin sighed, lifting the corpse over his shoulder. He eased himself up the stairs, carrying the extra burden. Under the weight, he felt the ground beneath him shake as he fell against the wall. He shrugged, thinking nothing of it, and climbed to the top more slowly and carefully. After he reached the room at the top, he shrugged and threw the body into a corner. He walked out of the room and froze, quickly hiding behind the pillar. The next leader, the Theron Guard, was walking into the meeting room. “Damn it!” he said haste fully under his breath. Luckily, the Theron Guard didn’t hear him.
 
      The Theron Guard entered the boarding room. It was a ruined room like the rest of the house, but a long, oak table stretched down most of the room, a count of 7 chairs on the left and right, and one on each end. There was a bolted door at the other side of the room, but the locust ignored this. It simply walked into the room and closed the wooden door behind itself and sat down in one of the chairs. It wore heavy magenta and black colored armor, a helmet the covered its entire head, down over the neck, but its mouth, which showed awful, yellow teeth, was the only thing not protected.
 
      The assassin softly snuck down the stairway and toward the door. He crept over to a chair and dug his hand into the cushion. He pulled out a black automatic machine gun, which he had left there since he came to the mansion. His rifle on his back, cradling the machine gun in his right hand, a smoke grenade in his left, he rested his foot on the chair, his back to the door. He was perfectly lined up with the door, his leg a spring-board. He flexed his fingers on the gun. “See you in hell, heretic.” He whispered under his breath as he switched his helmet to thermal once more.
 
      The Theron Guard flinched, hearing a sound outside the room, but it was too late. The door flew through the ancient door like a rock through paper, wood splintering everywhere. The smoke frag hit the table and skidded down the table, to rest at a stop in front of the guard. The locust spun out of its chair as the grenade exploded with smoke. Outside, the assassin gripped the machine gun, and ran in. Immediately he saw the heat of the locust and fired non-stop for a second. The heat had vanished.
      Backing up, the assassin hit the thermal button with his left hand and checked the room. The smoke had started to fade, clearing up the room a little. Then the assassin felt something touch his back, but too slow to react. The sound of metal smashing into metal echoed throughout his helmet, the thermal button shattering, as the assassin flew headfirst onto the table.
 
      His head was ringing! His left hand cupped around his left ear, though no help outside of the helmet. He feared it would burst in blood soon from the sound. He turned onto his back and froze, gawking, the hand on the machine gun tightened. The Theron Guard was standing over him, holing his long barreled rifle, tucked under its arm, and aiming straight at him. The assassin’s finger twitched, quickly hitting yet another button on his helmet, yet it had narrowly missed getting smashed. The assassin tried to make himself look defeated, though he knew he was not going to die now. The guard looked through the scope, aiming for the assassin’s forehead. It steadied itself, and fired. 
 
           
3
Assassin Down!
 
      The assassin knew what would have come the moment the locust pulled the trigger, but he was surprised none the less. The locust’s arms jerked back slightly from the recoil, but yet nothing came out of the barrel facing the assassin. Instead, though, the bullet fire out of the other end of it, backfiring. The locust, like the first one, stood a moment, perfectly fine, but then blood spurted out of its neck and from its head as it toppled backward and slammed onto the ground harshly.
 
      The assassin stood up and examined the body thoroughly, and then his gaze would rest on its neck, gawking at the tennis ball sized hole through its mouth and back of its head. He kicked the body aside to reveal the decent sized puddle of blood under it. The assassin let out a soft sigh as he pulled the helmet off his head, revealing his sweat-soaked hair. He lobbed it into another chair, he threw the machine gun with it, only to have it land nicely inside of it, as he leaned forward, his hands pressing down onto the table, as he whispered to himself, “Wow, you such a stealthy assassin. Damn it all.” He shook his head, spraying the table and chairs with sweat until his hair was decently dry. He then pulled his helmet over his head and picked up his machine gun and left the room.
 
      The ground did not shake, though the locust had still arrived. The fourth commander, the Drone, crashed through the garden, moss-covered wall. He carried a semi-automatic machine gun. His body was well built, like the second commander, but he was smarter than all before him. He also had and acute sense of smell and hearing. But he also had one thing the others did not. No fear. He would attack an army of a thousand all by himself. This locust made its way around the left side of the house, the rain letting up, as it approached the building, it smelled the blood and grinned a sinister smirk. It hadn’t killed a human in years. This would be fun. It charged through the wall, the stone falling away like glass.
 
       The assassin stepped out of the room, his head turning slowly while he examined the house more closely. The sudden crash to his right made him flinch as he spun around, only to come face to face with a wall. Then he realized. The next locust was at the bottom of the blood soaked staircase.

© 2009 Cinu~


Author's Note

Cinu~
If you wish to criticize me, don't bother. I don't care if you hate it. Just tell me if you like it and if you have any suggestions I can use to make it better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

X3 omg dude! that was pawsome! so much better then mine ._.;

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 21, 2008
Last Updated on February 21, 2009

Author

Cinu~
Cinu~

About
I'm simply a face in the crowd...whom is now guided by a magnificent light. I look for good, positive or negative, but constructive reviews on my writing from anyone. more..

Writing
Flying Rainbow Flying Rainbow

A Poem by Cinu~


After So Long After So Long

A Poem by Cinu~